Audiovisual initial feedback and requests

Are people adding shows originally in English because they watched the Japanese dub? Is that expected?

Whoops! Yeah I was making an api call to fetch your user episodes… which required login. Fixed and should be live in one minute.

Ah, is that right? Ok I will log it.

Yeah, I’ve asked people about that and they do seem to be watching the dubbed versions. I was somewhat expecting it… something like watching Friends in your target language is a very popular thing to do.

We’ll see how often it occurs.

Edit: One thing I’ve thought about doing to make this more clear is to use the translated title… so for this case it’d be アーケイン. Although, i’m not sure that translation is widely used, may be more confusing.

4 Likes

Yes you are right… underneath the covers everything that’s been submitted with an explicit level (only allowed if you have finished or watching the item) is being treated as non temporary, even though it has the ??. And yeah, many things have enough grades to be deemed non-temporary. I am simply am keeping the ?? there to reinforce that the data is still fluctuating a lot. I’m not sure how long I’ll keep it there, I agree it’s a bit of a bummer.

At somepoint I’ll make all new things coming in with an explicit level temporary (like it is with books) and only mark it non-temporary after I have enough grades, I just want people to be able to compare things… and was worried the library is too small right now.

Yeah that’s expected actually… but i’m not entirely sure the best way to handle. I prioritize season dates for stat keeping and only use episode & session level data if they make sense and provide more granularity to the stats. I am wary of triggering a bunch of updates and syncs between things, as it can be somewhat unintuitive… but I am already doing it wrt marking your season finished / moving back to wish list (that wipes the episode data).

Originally, I was simply not putting episode dates, but that also leads to some compllications. Idk… after I have fewer bugs to deal with, I want to sit down and try to figure out TV stat-keeping better.

Personally I think the episode dates should be optional. As I’ve previously mentioned, I don’t like when the data is “lying”. I don’t track time, I don’t track pages, I don’t track episodes. Or at least with episodes, I already track that (not dates, but episodes completed) on AniList and have no desire to double my work by tracking it on Natively as well. So as with books I intend to simply have a single start and end date. But if setting an end date for the season assumes and assigns that same date to every episode, it just feels… wrong I guess.

If you don’t mind, I’d appreciate if you could go into more detail on what complications you ran into. Maybe someone will have ideas for how to resolve them while also leaving the episode dates optional. After things settle down of course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with you about not having faulty data. Let me fix these bugs first though and then we’ll talk it through together :slight_smile:

2 Likes

AUDIOVISUAL UPDATE

• [FIXED] For adding new videos, if TMDB has no results, show ‘No Results’, improved scrolling behavior
  • [FIXED] Adding new tv series & updating your progress/status should work. Even on tv series without episodes yet @perrydimes
  • [FIXED] Fixed TMDB id check issue @eefara
  • [FIXED] Changed helper text in create new video to explicitly say ‘title search below’ not tmdb link
  • [UPDATED] Changed server error page to link to product forum thread (great idea @Megumin)
  • [UPDATED] removed now extinct book caches that were increasing the size of redis (small contributor to issues earlier in the morning)
5 Likes

AUDIOVISUAL UPDATE

• [FIXED] “Choose which book” on the video grading page
  • [FIXED] ‘collapse series’ isn’t sticky anymore
  • [FIXED] Rounding on show page for quality scores (not being rounded)
  • [FIXED] On stats page “TV Seasons Finished” → “TV Seasons Watched”
  • [FIXED] Stickiness of both item type (Video/Books) and Default Feed for activities in dashboard. No longer wiped by viewing item pages @Legato @GrumpyPanda @Jintor
6 Likes

AUDIOVISUAL UPDATE

• [Fixed] Activity Filters don’t work for audiovisual (progress updates)
  • [Fixed] Grading activities aren’t generated for audiovisual
  • [Fixed] Updating progress on non-populated season was still not working
  • [Fixed] Replace progess bar underneath an unpopulated season with text ‘episodes populating’
  • [Fixed] Mobile text search in search page goes to books! Doesn’t work
  • [Fixed] Issues with ‘update’ modal not closing after save. This was actually a pretty widespread problem it seems. @Jintor this is your ‘timed session’ issue
4 Likes

Thank you! A new bug on top of this: I was able to successfully add the new movie, but the numbering order is now messed up on the movie series page:

Movie #5 should be movie #2; essentially these shouldn’t be ordered by what order a user requested them, but by release date order. I’m sure this is affecting other movie series as well; I know I’ve been adding movies I’m familiar with as they pop into my head and not necessarily by release date.

3 Likes

Congrats on the Korean release, @brandon:

5 Likes

Ah. Ordering by release date makes sense, will do.

:joy: :sweat_smile: Hey I can read that.

5 Likes

Does anyone think it would be useful to separate the number of times graded between book and audiovisual? Same thing with reviews and ratings.
I just noticed there’s no separation, and while I can’t really think of a useful use case for why you would want to, I was curious if others had opinions.

4 Likes

Now just do that via breaking down a season into individual episodes as well and you’ve achieved ordering of the “specials” season. :joy:

(joking, not joking)

1 Like

I’d like all stats to be separated, personally.

3 Likes

Didn’t want to use checkboxes here for consistency?

1 Like

Haven’t rigorously tested, but it seems like for me the ‘Me’ setting gets reset every time I refresh. ‘Following’ seems to work fine though :thinking:

1 Like

:thinking:

Edit: Fixed itself a few minutes later. Have had it a couple times now that shows are somehow both wish listed and watching at the same time, showing up as one or the other depending on the interface I’m looking at.
So far it always figured itself out, so it’s not particularly bad, it is however pretty confusing :see_no_evil:

Yes, this seems to happen while the episodes are being populated.

Also if you happen to update dates or something else while this is being done in the background, weird stuff happens.

Maybe it should be hidden until the thing is fully populated to avoid data corruption and send an email when it’s done @brandon?

2 Likes

In my case, I think it should have already been fully populated? Someone else had added it already, seems like that was a few days ago :thinking:

1 Like

@brandon

So I’m going through additions of my 800+ log entries I have since 2021.

1)

And one annoyance not sure if someone reported it already, is that to add one special, I have to add the whole season of specials, and set it as finished or stopped, which both is kinda untrue.

For example here I only watched what would be “Episode 6” which in reality is not even correctly placed there.

2) Edit entry with wrong titles:

3) Other wonky stuff:

I try to remove this from library, it switches to “Wish list” but when I reload it appears as “Finished” again.

3 Likes