👨‍❤️‍👨 BL Book Club 🎓 BL University 📚

20’s the typical max that I’ve seen, since that’s the max number of options Discourse can have per poll. Most clubs I’ve seen are laid back enough to not worry about number of nominations per person; you could say something if someone’s really going ham with them, but Natively’s community doesn’t seem like it’d be a problem child in that regard.

Do we want to limit types of nominated books? Between manga, LNs, novels, etc.?

5 Likes

Given the poll options, it makes sense for 20 to be the limit then. :smile:

I wasn’t going to, but I guess maybe a new poll would be best to see what the majority wants.

1 Like
Should nominations be limited to a certain type of book (LNs, manga, etc)?
  • Yes, only certain types should be accepted
  • No, everything should be accpeted
0 voters
4 Likes

Once this community is bigger I can see value in splitting clubs into LN/manga/TV shows/games/whathaveyou, but right now with it so small I’m not sure it’d matter much.

3 Likes

Title: 美しい彼 | L30
Book type: light novel
Ebook available?: Yes
Audiobook available?: No
Full-furigana version available?: No

Summary - Japanese

幼いころから緊張すると言葉がつかえてしまうため、内向的で、高校でも目立たない存在の平良。
そんな平良が憧れるのは、クラスメイトの清居だ。人目を惹く美貌に、誰にも媚びない態度で、
クラスの王様として君臨する清居。「彼にとっては、誰もが平等に無価値なんだ──」
グループのみそっかす的な平良は、清居に忠誠を尽くすのが喜びだったけれど……!?

Summary - English

Since childhood, Hira has had trouble with words when he is nervous, and is introverted and inconspicuous in high school. He admires his classmate Kiyoi, who has an eye-catching beauty and a flirtatious attitude. He has good looks and an attitude that does not flatter anyone. Kiyoi reigns as the king of the class: to him, everyone is equally worthless… Hira, the soft-spoken one of the group, is happy to be loyal to Kiyoi, but …!

Content warnings
  • Bullying(?)

Reason(s) for nominating: I really enjoyed the TV series, which led to 🌷 美しい彼 🐤 My Beautiful Man 📸 Series Fan Thread, which led to this book club being born! :laughing:

6 Likes

Nominations for the 1st BLBC Read

4 Likes

Natively link: FBI連邦捜査官: file 1 Liar

Summary - Japanese

アカデミーを落第ぎりぎりで卒業したFBI特別捜査官トラヴィスは、チンピラにも間違われる落ちこぼれ。ロサンゼルスでビルのガス爆発が起こり、電話で少年が犯行予告をしたことから、パートナーのミリアム、犬猿の仲との評判のジェレミーらと一緒に捜査に入る。犯行予告をした少年レイジーは、一緒に暮らしていた祖母には家出中と言われるが、一緒に姿を消した友人アシュリーの母親は、レイジーに息子を連れ去られたと主張する。再び、今度は空き家の爆破事件が起こり、事件は予想だにしない方向へ向かっていく。
トラヴィスとジェレミーは事件や捜査に関して意見が衝突するが、実は二人は……
アメリカを舞台に事件を捜査するFBI連邦捜査官たちの物語、第一弾です。
クールで美形な金髪碧眼のエリート系×ジョーク好きな男前のイタリア系。

Summary - English

DeepL translator (sorry, don’t have time and power to go through this to translate by myself)
FBI Special Agent Travis, who graduated from the Academy just in time to flunk out, is a dropout who can be mistaken for a thug. When a gas explosion occurs in a building in Los Angeles and a young boy makes a phone call threatening a crime, he joins his partner Miriam and Jeremy, who have a reputation as dog-and-dog buddies, to investigate. The boy who made the criminal threat, Lazy, is said to be a runaway by the grandmother he lived with, but the mother of his friend Ashley, who disappeared with him, claims that Lazy took her son away. Once again, the case takes an unexpected turn, this time with the bombing of an abandoned house.
Travis and Jeremy clash in their opinions about the case and the investigation, but they are actually both …

Ebook available? yes

Reason(s) for nominating: It looks funny and I want to try it out

3 Likes

We should probably have just one nomination per post; makes them easier to find and link to. Plus if one nomination gets removed from the running for whatever reason, it’s less confusing to mention the single post versus “#3 on this list”.

3 Likes

Title:

Book type: novel

Summary - Japanese

小学五年生の苑(その)にとって世界は悪意に満ちていた。両親の罵声や同級生のからかいに息をひそめる日々。そんな苑に、クラスの人気者・明渡(あきと)が構ってくるのが不思議で仕方なかった。ある夏の日、ふたりは神社でキスをするカップルを目撃する。その光景は互いの脳に灼きつき……? 11歳、17歳、21歳、25歳……人生のターニングポイントにはいつもキスがあった。光と影のような幼馴染みふたりの、綻びだらけの恋物語。

Summary - English

For fifth grader Sonoko, the world was full of malice. She spends her days in secret, breathing in the abuse of her parents and the teasing of her classmates. She wonders why Akito, the most popular boy in her class, is so interested in her. One summer day, they witness a couple kissing at a shrine. The sight burned into each other’s brains and …? At the ages of 11, 17, 21, and 25,… there was always a kiss at the turning point of their lives. This is a tale of two childhood friends who are like light and shadow, a love story full of tears.

Content Warnings

probably some verbal child abuse and bullying (“両親の罵声や同級生のからかい”)

Reason(s) for nominating: The cover. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Roger Doger :saluting_face:

2 Likes

魔獣になった傭兵のおっさんが、憧れの騎士に拾われた話

Summary - Japanese

厳つい見た目の中年傭兵ダーヴィトは、魔術師のトラップにかかり仔狼姿の魔獣に変えられてしまう。元の姿への戻り方が分からず途方にくれる魔獣のダーヴィトを拾ったのは、平民でありながら騎士にのぼりつめたエリア―シュだった。実は、ダーヴィトは身の程知らずにも若く凛々しいエリアーシュに密かに想いを寄せていたのだ。恋しいエリアーシュのそばにいるために、従順な魔獣として仕えるダーヴィトだったが…?

Summary - English

DeepL translator (sorry, don’t have time and power to go through this to translate by myself)
Dervito, a stern-looking middle-aged mercenary, is trapped by a sorcerer and transformed into a hexenbiest in the form of a werewolf. Unable to figure out how to return to his original form, the bewildered Dervito is picked up by Elias, a commoner who has risen to the rank of knight. In fact, Dervito secretly had feelings for the young and gallant Elias. In order to be close to his beloved Elias, Dervito serves him as an obedient hexenbiest, but…?

Content warnings

beastiality

Ebook available? yes

Reason(s) for nominating: It looks funny and I want to try it out

3 Likes

殺しのアート

Summary - Japanese

有能だが冷たく、人を寄せつけないFBIの行動分析官・ケネディ。彼のお目付役として殺人事件の捜査に送り込まれた美術犯罪班のジェイソンは事件が起きたキングスフィールドで幼少期を過ごし、連続殺人事件で幼なじみを失っていた。ケネディはその事件を解決に導いた伝説のプロファイラーだった。捜査が進む中、当時の連続殺人事件との共通点が発見される。あの悪夢は本当は終わっていなかったのか――!?

Summary - English

Special Agent Jason West is seconded from the FBI Art Crime Team to temporarily partner with disgraced, legendary “manhunter” Sam Kennedy when it appears Kennedy’s most famous case, the capture and conviction of a serial killer known as the Huntsman, may actually have been a disastrous failure.
The Huntsman is still out there…and the killing has begun again.

Ebook available? yes

Reason(s) for nominating: It looks interesting and I want to try it out

3 Likes

Title:

Book type: novel (in translation)

Summary - Japanese

LAでミステリ専門の書店を営みながら小説を書くアドリアン・イングリッシュの元をふたりの刑事が訪れる。
従業員であり友人のロバートが惨殺されたのだ。
前日レストランで口論して別れたアドリアンに、殺人課の刑事・リオーダンは疑いの眼差しを向ける。
調査に乗り出したアドリアンだったが、犯人の深い憎悪と狂気はやがてアドリアンに向かう。
彼の危機に飛び込んで来たのは !?

それぞれの運命と向き合う男たちを描き上げたM/Mロマンスの金字塔、ついに刊行。

Summary - English

Two detectives visit Adrienne English, who runs a mystery bookstore in LA and writes novels.
Adrienne and Riordan, a homicide detective, are visited by two detectives who have discovered that Robert, an employee and friend of hers, has been brutally murdered.
Homicide detective Riordan is suspicious of Adrienne, who had left him after an argument at a restaurant the day before.
Adrienne begins to investigate, but the killer’s deep hatred and madness soon turns on Adrienne.
What jumped in at his peril was !

The gold standard of M/M romance, depicting men facing their own destiny, is finally published.

Reason(s) for nominating: I have been meaning to read this for a while… I have the whole series. :see_no_evil:

OT: The Japanese covers are so much better than the original.

4 Likes

@shablul Have you requested these to be added to Natively? If not, I can do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I did 2 of them, the third I forgot, thanks for the reminder lmao

2 Likes

花馨る雨の名を
Book type: light novel
eBook available? yes
Audiobook available? unknown

Summary - Japanese

あの雨の日を忘れられない。

入谷友紀の自慢の店『水華茶荘』は中国茶専門のカフェだ。
客足は少ないけれど、好きなものばかりを揃えた店は居心地がいい。
ある雨の日、客もいない店でお気に入りの中国茶を淹れたところにひとりの客が訪れた。
精悍な顔立ちのスーツを着た青年、長谷部だ。
どうやら長谷部は入谷のことを知っているようで……
それから、雨の日になると現れる長谷部と親しくなるうちに、入谷は自分の気持ちが友情ではないことに気付きはじめて——
恋に臆病なふたりの不器用な恋の物語。

Summary - English (own translation)

I will never forget that rainy day.

Iriya Yuki’s pride and joy is his shop, Suikachasou, a café that specializes in Chinese teas. It doesn’t get much foot traffic, but the shop is cozy, filled with the things he loves.

One rainy day as he’s about to brew himself a cup of his favorite Chinese tea when the shop is empty, a single customer drops in: a sharp-featured young man in a suit, named Hasebe. Somehow, Hasebe seems to know him…

On every rainy day thereafter, Hasebe appears at the shop, and as they grow closer, Iriya begins to realize that his own feelings toward Hasebe aren’t purely those of friendship…

The clumsy love story of two men who are timid when it comes to love.

Content warnings

There’s some smut. The first chapter could be considered mildly dubious since one of them’s drunk, but I don’t remember anything else needing warning.

While the summary does kinda make it seem stalkery, no worries, it’s not. (from ch 1) Iriya and Hasebe met before in college and (confirmed later) Hasebe did not track him down or anything, just passed by his shop by chance that day and saw him in there and decided to go in since he hadn’t been able to completely forget him.

Reason for nominating:
This is the first BL novel I read, drawn in by Takarai Rihito’s art on the cover, and I quite liked it. It’s also the better of Chishima’s two novels, in my opinion. There’s some repetition to establish atmosphere, but I didn’t find it to be overdone, and in fact, the book was quite comfortable; it made me want to drink tea on a rainy day lol. And the sexytimes-use euphemisms, while probably not anything I’d use in English, didn’t make me want to drop my head in my hands, either, which is definitely a plus.

6 Likes

I don’t see why not; that kind of info could be included in the content warnings.

3 Likes

Okay, cool. I’ve updated it :+1:

2 Likes

flesh&blood

Title: FLESH & BLOOD 1 | L33
Book type: Light novel
Audiobook available?: No (There is a 21 CD, fantastically-produced drama CD series for those interested)

Summary - Japanese

2007年バースデーフェア・店頭配布用小冊子「予感」収録。●イギリス海賊の英雄キャプテン・ドレイク――彼に憧れる高校生の海斗(かいと)は、夏休みを利用して、海賊巡りの旅を計画。ところがドレイクゆかりの地プリマスで、海斗はなんと、次元の壁に飲み込まれ、大航海時代へタイムスリップ!! ドレイクの信頼も厚い、海賊船の船長ジェフリーに助けられ…!? エリザベス女王率いる海賊達と、スペイン無敵艦隊がくり広げる海洋ラブ・ロマン!! ※電子版には、紙版に収録されている挿絵は収録されていません。

Summary - English

(deepL, w/ minor clean up by me) Short story “Premonition”, distributed for the 2007 Birthday Fair, included. Kaito, a high school student who idolizes the heroic English pirate, Captain Drake, plans to take advantage of his summer vacation to go on a pirate tour. However, in Plymouth, a place associated with Drake, Kaito is swallowed by a dimensional rift and is transported back in time to the Age of Discovery! He is rescued by Geoffrey, the captain of a pirate ship, who works for Captain Drake. The pirates led by Queen Elizabeth and the invincible Spanish fleet unfold in this maritime love romance! The digital version does not include the illustrations in the paper version.

Content warnings

Minor forced kiss, but nothing other than that.

Reason(s) for nominating: Flesh&Blood is one of my all-time favorite series; I’ve been reading through it slowly with a book group on Wanikani (I’m about halfway through right now), and I want to spread the love to everyone. :heavy_heart_exclamation: This is a fairly long series (24 volumes), so there’ll be absolutely no plot resolution, just setup, in this volume. On the other hand, you’ve got a fantastic series to keep you company if you do enjoy it! (Plus there’s an excellent 21 CD drama CD adaption for those interested in the audio side of things.)

Just ask my homies @nikoru and @pyororon if you need a second/third opinion.

7 Likes

With all the extras… 34 CDs! :exploding_head:

2 Likes