👨‍❤️‍👨 BL Book Club 🎓 BL University 📚

3 more days for the current poll…there’s still time, F&B. :pray: Not enough for me to “accidentally” remove my KKM vote, of course. Ugh, I might have to read something that’s been on my TBR pile forever. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

We’ve been bad mouthing that style of BL quite a bit in this thread.

There’s definitely still tropes that make me roll my eyes, but far less of the stuff that makes me grit my teeth. The older you go the more like you’ll see it, though, so I recommend sticking to newer series unless someone has vouched for the content.

7 Likes

That means you can treat yourself to 5 more books to replenish your pile :grin:

at least that’s how I work :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Hahaha. I like that enthusiasm! Sounds like a good reward for my perseverance.

4 Likes

Wait, hold on, what I read was a manga. There’s a LN too?

1 Like

As @cat said, we aren’t really into that type of stories in this thread, but it’s true that those are tropes that often come up. I recently dropped a manga I was reading just because those kind of stuff were beyond my threshold.
That being said, I’m pretty sure all nominations are on the safe side (mine sure is) since none of us like those tropes.

5 Likes

This I can absolutely confirm is safe.

at least as far as we are aware… those tropes have surprised me where I absolutely didn’t expect them. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yup. And an anime! :rofl:

Just checked and the series seems to still be publishing… :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Wow… that’s like one of the first manga I got when I arrived in Japan. I (almost) randomly grabbed it (the first volume was placed to show the cover rather than a he spine; that place was doing that for popular stuff) while being stealthy in the BL section. I also grabbed really randomly a bunch of normal shonen stuff to kinda hide it… but of course the cashier had to ring everything so it was truly pointless.
(Well, at least it felt like I wasn’t here just for that)

I did struggle through the first chapter but past that point I just flipped through the rest of the pages. I kinda want to read it for real now that I can… but at the same time it’s on the really problematic side :melting_face:

5 Likes

My take on problematic stuff: Anything can be read and enjoyed as long as people acknowledge that stuff is problematic and don’t have an issue if someone else doesn’t want to engage with it. (That last part is from personal experience… :melting_face:)

Like, I have 0 issue with people enjoying Twilight. I do have an issue with people trying to convince me it’s romantic. :rofl:

9 Likes

Did you miss the WK club for it?

1 Like

For KKM? Or Flesh&Blood?

1 Like

Flesh and Blood @nikoru was running it iirc?

3 Likes

Aaah. Not to worry; I started it with nikoru way back, so I’m good there! I’m just shilling F&B because I enjoy it so much and want to spread the love. :3

6 Likes

Ah, got it. Nice

2 Likes

Another little update from a recently-closed poll:

download (2)

VOTE FOR THE BOOK CLUB’S NEXT READ HERE - 2 DAYS LEFT!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the reassurance! I do enjoy wholesome stuff in this genre, sometimes it feels like I’ve seen enough sad gay stories for a lifetime and don’t need any more. I do enjoy darker themes from time to time but as long as the problematic things are treated as problematic and not brushed off as irrelevant or a joke.

I agree with this.

Well, I understand we don’t really know without reading them but at least I’m assured that if it happens it will be acknowledged as what it is.

All that said I’ve voted for some things that seemed interesting. But in any case this will be a great way to get recommendations so it’s easier to filter the sketchy stuff.

9 Likes

Including ~BL vibes~ won by a hair, which means the ballad of Naruto of Sasuke is totally eligible, right? Right?! :rofl:

download

VOTE FOR THE BOOK CLUB’S NEXT READ HERE -:warning: 1 DAY LEFT! :warning:

3 Likes

omg; your brain is evil.

4 Likes

For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sasuke and his Naruto

I feel like this could open the floodgates for a lot of shounen tbh. :innocent:

3 Likes