👨‍❤️‍👨 BL Book Club 🎓 BL University 📚

Voting for it.

3 Likes

It looks like everyone is in favour of disqualifying a select number of titles from automatically rolling over to the next nomination cycle, with “the lowest voted 𝑥 nominations” being the most popular choice, so let’s vote on the number of nominations to cut.

• Everyone gets 3 votes, which I’m anticipating will be used for grouped selections (2, 3, 4) rather than random (1, 7, 11 or more) but no one’s gonna stop you, let chaos reign!
  • Remember that the winning title will also be removed, so if you’d like the next cycle to have 5 empty slots for fresh nominations, you would select 4.
How many of the lowest-voted titles should be eliminated?
  • 11 or more
0 voters

There may be occasions where the the lowest-voted nominations have the same number of votes as one or more titles just above the cutoff.

For example, if it was decided that the lowest-voted 3 titles should be eliminated, then the books in positions 18, 19, and 20 would be disqualified from the next nomination cycle. However, if book 17 has the same number of votes as 18, it could be argued that they are tied, and so should both be disqualified.

What should happen when books on either side of the cutoff are tied?
  • Only the lowest-voted 𝑥 titles should be removed
  • The lowest-voted 𝑥 titles and any ties should be removed
0 voters
1 Like

Take into account that any newly added book/manga/etc is going to be registered as “level 30” automatically and only from then on start getting higher or lower rating hence the ??? Next to them
So there are possibly easier or more difficult books here that aren’t registered as such yet

Edit: I would like to add that from rumors I heard that the kkm novel (the one currently on top of the voting) shouldn’t be too difficult
I myself tried the first 3 pages to see and it looked between N3 to N2 but not above, though it didn’t exactly reach the fantasy or political parts yet so I can’t promise anything😅

4 Likes

I remember a lot of pretty casual language in the beginning of that book, though admittedly it’s been a while.

2 Likes

Question here: supposing that no one else votes before the current poll closes, last place has 2 votes, and the next six books have three votes each. Pretend that we decide to cut the 3 lowest-voted books; the current tie would cut way more than 3 or 4 books. How should we proceed then?

2 Likes

Well, if people want the ties cut as well, I guess there’d be 8 eliminated… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Or we could have more polls to decide which one to get rid of. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes
More polls?
  • More polls! :bar_chart:
  • More poles! :barber:
  • More Poles! :poland:
0 voters
6 Likes

I feel this poll represents very well the type of people in this bookclub… :rofl:

6 Likes

Another little update: any volume in a series that can be read as a standalone book can be nominated. This poll is now closed. :slightly_smiling_face:

download

4 Likes

BL is a gay love story?

BL is short for Boys Love, so it often focuses on the romantic or sexual relationship between male characters, but they’re not strictly love stories.

4 Likes

Thanks I didn’t know that this was a thing. I’m out.

Not quite JP related, but it seems that Gravitation will be coming back into print in English:

Just thought of you guys since we were recently discussing it, haha.

4 Likes

I do not want to admit how many fanfics I read of this… so no, do not remember it. :laughing:

5 Likes

We’ve had 22 voters so far?!? Honestly, that’s a lot more than I expected for this club. :tada:

6 Likes

did our warnings make you curious, @bibliothecary ? :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, gonna read all the early BL trash! :rofl:

5 Likes

Hey there!
I saw this club existed and was interested right away but since I’m not sure what I can expect from these nominations and there seems to be a big group of people here that are well-versed in the subject I wanted to ask before joining/voting.

Basically I like BL as a concept more than as a…reality I guess? For context, I first encountered BL Japanese content way back in the day when it was called yaoi and what I found was…pretty rapey, basically implying gay men would try to turn heterosexual man gay through non consensual sex or something, also some pretty big age gaps, and a lot of fetishization in general. I know some people are into that but it’s definitely not what I want to read. In recent years I’ve seen a few things that seemed a lot (a loooot) better in those regards and I’ve become hopeful that maybe these days I can enjoy BL but reading in Japanese is still hard for me so I end up not even trying because I won’t know what I’ll find until I’m there and the investment is too big. And… that’s just a really long way of asking if you can give me a general idea of what BL is like these days (maybe there’s a bit of both? And if so is there a way to tell them apart?) or at least what’s the vibe in these nominations so I don’t end up voting for something I wouldn’t really want to read. Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

Hello! It’s tough to cover an entire genre in one post, but you can rest assured that the span of BL generally available today (in both English and Japanese) is very, very wide. The stuff you mention is still pretty stigmatized, and afaik you won’t find any of that here in any of these nominations. (There might still be some content warnings spots for some people, but that won’t be the main focus of the work, typically.) (Someone correct me if I’m wrong about any of these noms, haha.)

I’d recommend reading through the provided summaries for each nomination to get a feel for what might be in the story, and if you have specific questions about any of them we can definitely help answer them!

Suggestions for nominations that look wholesome (please note I have not read any of these): キス, 花馨る雨の名を, 僕らの食卓, きのう何食べた?.

In regards to being concerned about potential time investment, I believe we do have some shorter series nominated; best to check the Natively page itself for series length, but only a few come to mind for being really long (Flesh&Blood, 炎の蜃気楼, G Defend, etc.)

(Sorry if this post kind of comes across as a non-answer to yours. :sweat_smile: I’m not trying to avoid any direct questions, I just don’t feel like I can cover all your concerns quickly/easily without a thorough essay, haha.)

11 Likes