👨‍❤️‍👨 BL Book Club 🎓 BL University 📚

Those BL research books remind me of あの頃のBLの話をしよう | L30?? which goes through (kind of) the history of the genre.

4 Likes

Another one to add to the required curriculum of BL University :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Someone should have told her graphic depictions of internal organs aren’t sexy. :melting_face:

5 Likes

Oh, good to hear! I saw that get picked up by an English publisher and thought it looked interesting, so glad to hear it is indeed good!

I believe this is mostly a compilation of interviews with BL authors, for the record. (I would check my copy, but it’s packed into a moving box at the moment. :X) Not sure how in-depth they go into BL in general, or if it mostly just centers around their own work.

I picked it up originally since it’s got an interview with 松岡なつき, author of one of our nominations, Flesh&Blood.

2 Likes

Yes, it focuses on “classics”, I think. That’s why it’s “kind of” history :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new poll… And I’m feeling good~ :notes:
The Nina Simone version obvs, not Michael Boobily :rofl:

It seems as though most people are in favour of non-winning nominations rolling over to the next selection cycle, so the following polls are to decide whether certain nominations will be disqualified from future rounds for a limited time if there is little interest in reading them. This could ensure each selection cycle includes fresh titles.

Should certain titles be disqualified from the next round of nominations?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

If yes, there are a few ways of choosing which to eliminate:

• All nominations with 0 votes: Perhaps the simplest option, and weeds out titles with no interest at all, but it’s also possible that no titles would be disqualified (for example if everyone who nominates also votes for their own nomination).
  • Nominations with fewer than 𝑥 votes: The higher the number 𝑥, the more titles would be disqualified. Likely removes titles after each selection cycle, varying depending on voting results.
  • The lowest voted 𝑥 nominations: A certain number of titles will be disqualified regardless of how many votes they received. Always ensures space for fresh titles, but may remove titles with some interest.

The number “𝑥” will be decided with a further vote if one of those options wins.

Which nominations should be disqualified?
  • All nominations with 0 votes
  • Nominations with fewer than 𝑥 votes
  • The lowest voted 𝑥 nominations
0 voters

Disqualified titles will be eligible for renomination after a certain period of time. For example, after cycle 1 (C1), a certain title is disqualified. The following shows the different options for how long it may remain on hold:

• 1 cycle - on hold for C2; eligible for renomination C3
  • 2 cycles - on hold for C2 and C3; eligible for renomination C4
  • 3 cycles - on hold for C2, C3, and C4; eligible for renomination C5

…And so on. Information on disqualified titles and when they can be renominated will be available in the first post.

How many voting cycles should disqualified books be on hold for?
  • 3 or more
0 voters
2 Likes

Funny thing, that one is actually my favorite :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m sick in the head sometimes
Have you heard of MADK?

1 Like

150 new messages here since yesterday!? :eyes:

On the subject of old time cough problematic cough BL, anyone else used to be into Hinako Takanaga? I remember being a big fan of 恋する暴君 at the time…

3 Likes

One of my favourites! Not as well known as some of her other series, but for me this is the epitome of high school / first love manga. :heart_eyes: I don’t remember anything particularly problematic with the relationship, but it’s been a while since I’ve read it. Planning to read it in Japanese (for the first time!) sometime soon, as I bought the series recently. :smiling_face:

I remember Bukiyou na Silent was pretty cute, too, although I got a bit bored when the focus shifted from the main couple to the other couple as the manga went on. I can’t remember reading any of her other series, though.

It doesn’t sound familiar. :thinking:

Discourse is rationing my hearts now, I get one, then have to wait an hour for the next. :rofl:

5 Likes

if you ever feel like reading something f uped with organs but still good have at it :ok_hand:

1 Like

Cartoon gif. Two cute corgis wearing bow ties squinting while hugging and rubbing their faces on each other, against a pale pink background with floating hearts.

Welcome to the fluff gang. no dark romance for me, thank you very much. I have had enough of that for a lifetime. no shade if people enjoy it. fantasy and all. I know many but it’s just no longer for me.

6 Likes

Apropos BL Academy: I still need to read this beauty I picked up last year for cheap (bookoff ftw)

6 Likes

If nobody minds I will take one of the remaining nominations :bowing_woman:

Title: 憂鬱な朝 1 | L25??
Book type: Manga
Available formats: physical / ebook / full-furigana

Summary - Japanese

父の死後、10歳にして久世子爵家当主の座を継ぐことになった暁人。家令兼教育係は、
父の遺言で全権を委ねられた桂木だ。久世の分家筋の出身で、父の信頼厚かった桂木は、
社交界でも一目置かれる美貌のやり手だが、実は特権階級へは批判的。しかも暁人には
冷たいほど厳しくて…!?
人気急上昇中の著者、初の連載作品がコミックス化!! 若き子爵×美貌の執事のクラシカル・ロマンス

Summary - English

From SuBLime

Upon his father’s death, Akihito Kuze became a viscount at the age of 10. His smart, handsome young butler Tomoyuki Katsuragi has since managed all affairs pertaining to the viscountcy perfectly. The talented and charismatic Katsuragi is very popular in their social circle; but as Akihito grows older, he becomes colder and more distant by the day - though still as faithful to the Kuze household as he has ever been.

Akihito is now a young man, and desperately in love with Tomoyuki. He determines to discover the reason behind his butler’s inexplicable behaviour, and this is where their story begins…

Reason(s) for nominating: I saw recommendation for this manga on WK forums and wanted to read it since then. I heard that it has good story. And also full furigana, which is not so common for BL manga, i think?

7 Likes

Another great nomination. How are we supposed to choose? :laughing:

2 Likes

BL and SF - perfect combination :star_struck:
I saw similar anthotology but with SF yuri novels. At that time I thought how it’ll be great to have one with BL stories. Who would’ve thought that it already exist :see_no_evil: Now I wish if I could find it somewhere digitaly.

6 Likes

Oh, I’d love to read that. Tell us if it’s good!

And awesome! Just one slot left, then the voting slaughter begins… :eyes: What will be the last nomination?!

4 Likes

Happen to remember the name?

2 Likes

Yes! I have a link https://www.amazon.co.jp/SFマガジン編集部-ebook/dp/B07T2HV8RT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3N82792R8VNAS&keywords=アステリズムに花束を+百合sfアンソロジー&qid=1697087453&sprefix=アステリズムに花束を%2Caps%2C703&sr=8-3

3 Likes

Saw this and thought of you, @enbyboiwonder :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve already heard of most of them, but I didn’t realize 僕らの食卓 had a drama, and there’s one more I’ll have to check out. Thanks!

2 Likes