Book club suggestions

Last December I did an Aozora Bunko short story Advent challenge. That was over on the WK forums, but Iā€™m happy to do one again this year on this forum if thereā€™s interest.

11 Likes

Iā€™d be interested :blush:

EDIT: Iā€™d also be interested in short essays, if thatā€™s a thing ā€¦

8 Likes

I didnā€™t look much into which stories I was grabbing aside from length (and avoiding an author or two I wasnā€™t keen on) so a decent chunk actually ended up being essays.

6 Likes

Oh even better :rofl: Alright, Iā€™m down!

3 Likes

Iā€™m down too :blush:

3 Likes

Do you mean reading stuff in classical japanese, or just classic lit? :wink:

Iā€™m not so interested in Genji since (a) Iā€™ve read it in English and (b) Iā€™m not super-interested in reading it in a translation into modern Japanese. But classics in the ā€œmodern Japanese literatureā€ sense might be interesting (Iā€™ve read a little Soseki and Tanizaki, for instance).

Speaking of Tanizaki, weā€™re about to start reading ē—“äŗŗ恮ꄛ in an informal book club in a few weeks.

6 Likes

There are two more weeks, donā€™t scare me like that.
I am late on literally everything and reading something completely unrelated to those clubs/books I have to read.

8 Likes

Iā€™d never considered reading kotenbu, now you made me want to read it :sweat_smile:

This looks cool, reading short stories might be a better choice when it comes to classics (and language difficulty) :thinking:

Iā€™m not that much arrogant :sweat_smile:
I had ā€˜classics in the ā€œmodern Japanese literatureā€ senseā€™ in my mind when I wrote my suggestion, but while typing I also remembered Genji and the fact that Iā€™ve been waiting for a good opportunity to read it for a long time.

6 Likes

Oops, sorry :slight_smile: I think of it as ā€œvery soonā€ because I havenā€™t got round to putting in the book order for it yetā€¦

5 Likes

ā€¦and now I have ā€“ cdjapan shipping does indeed seem to be cheaper than amazon these days, which is nice given how bad amazon Japan are at packing books.

7 Likes

Would people be interested in a sports book club? I was thinking both manga and novels (though I personally was leaning more toward novels since sports manga series all seem to be so long while one-shots donā€™t seem uncommon with novels, but like I said, both would be welcome)

• Yes
  • Maybe
0 voters

Not that I exactly know how to run one, but Iā€™ll try

4 Likes

@shablul, could you make the home post a wiki so we can add links to existing polls for new voters and future reference?

Another poll, since I know @cat and @Biblio might be interested:

Would you be interested in a nonfiction book club?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
0 voters

If thereā€™s enough interest I wouldnā€™t mind setting everything up, but this absolutely wouldnā€™t happen before the new year.

Also curious (this is more an open, general question for anyone whoā€™d be interested in setting it up themselves; I just like polls):

Would you be interested in a manga-only club?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
0 voters
4 Likes

done :sunglasses: and added the new polls anyways lol

2 Likes

I think the issue with this is that manga can be a HUGE span of genres and intended age ranges. I think generally manga series would have more success as informal clubs where a specific series is announced and people can opt to read along if they choose.

6 Likes

agreed, pretty much the reason I said a ā€œmaybeā€
I honestly read mainly manga but I will think about joining a manga only club only if it has some catch or rule of thumb that catches my interest

2 Likes

What kind of narrowing criteria comes to mind? Specific examples as well as general ones. The suggestion was a pretty broad one for sure; I figure this is a good use of the thread, though: narrowing down what the people really want to see.

Potential specific criteria I can think of off the top of my head:

• Manga in a specific genre
  • Manga within a certain level range
  • Manga running in specific magazines
  • Manga published during a specific time period
4 Likes

Non fiction is a pretty broad range, so I can imagine there being a lot of ā€œdepends on the bookā€ there. I have ęŒÆä»®åć®ę­“å² | L30?? in the cdjapan order I just placed yesterdayā€¦

7 Likes

What would be a good way to narrow down a nonfiction club? :thinking: Honestly I feel like the biggest potential issue with narrowing down the accepted books is getting a decent number of nominations; nonfiction is already a pretty niche reading genre for Japanese learners, and I feel like it would be constricting potential nominations/joiners if we limit to a certain nonfiction topic.

7 Likes

Just reading along, but some potential ideas to narrow down non-fiction selections:

• ćƒ«ćƒ/reportage books about social issues in Japan (there are tons of these)
  • By topic, such as history, science, social studies, etc
  • Essays, memoirs, biographies
  • Travel reports
6 Likes

I think manga from certain levels, specific time periods or even made by specific mangaka for example is a good way to narrow it down

The first one especially could be good for beginner learners though not sure if itā€™s us who should be nominating this or of itā€™s something that should come from a beginner strating a beginner group :thinking:

4 Likes