❣ 痴人の愛 💦 Informal Book Club

Thought I’d go ahead and make a placeholder thread for this as I have some time.

Why this book?

痴人の愛 | L43 is a thirst trap romance novel by famed author 谷崎 潤一郎, published in 大正13 (1925).

Is it hard?

Probably, it’s currently graded at 43 and Japanese has gone through a lot of language reforms/changes since it was written. That said, there is a Youtube reading available :speaker: HERE :speaking_head:
Note that the recording doesn’t match the section breaks in terms of numbers, so you will need to refer to the text (free online HERE) in order to keep pace with the club.

Can anyone join?

More the merrier!

When does it start?

Planning to kick off October 30th, 2023

What’s the format like?

Since I expect this will be small (we had 5 potential joiners in my earlier poll) I think I’ll keep it to a single thread unless there is interest in having weekly threads

What’s the schedule?

By vote, this is the schedule we’re following. However, feel free to join at any time and read at the pace you’re able. Just please be mindful to put any potential spoilers behind spoiler tags :smiley:

Start Week Up to (not inclusive) Approximate pages
Oct 30 Week 1 up to section 3 28 pages
Nov 6 Week 2 up to section 5 20 pages
Nov 13 Week 3 up to section 7 28 pages
Nov 20 Week 4 up to section 9 32 pages
Nov 27 Week 5 up to section 10 23 pages
Dec 4 Week 6 up to section 11 28 pages
Dec 11 Week 7 up to section 13 30 pages
Dec 18 Week 8 up to section 15 32 pages
Dec 25 Week 9 up to section 17 36 pages
Jan 1 Week 10 up to section 20 30 pages
Jan 8 Week 11 up to section 23 38 pages
Jan 15 Week 12 up to section 25 21 pages
Jan 22 Week 13 up to section 27 29 pages
Jan 29 Week 14 through end of book 29 pages
Do you plan to join the informal club?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
How will you be consuming this media?
  • Electronic copy
  • Physical copy
  • Audio only
  • Audio + Reading
0 voters
4 Likes

That’s not the Natively-approved anime cover. :open_mouth:

It’s a pretty hilarious one, though. XD

6 Likes

Ya’ll should just be glad I didn’t go with this one:

Can’t wait to get to whatever scene seems so popular to portray :eyes:

5 Likes

Lol. Someone had a fun time creating those.

3 Likes

It’s also on the cover of the manga adaptation

It must be a really good scene.

5 Likes

With another bazillion book clubs at the same time, and taking the difficulty into account, I can’t promise I’ll be able to keep up with the schedule, but I’ll do my best. :smile:

These covers are all hilariously campy. I can’t believe that so far the manga version is the most elegant one… :eyes:

I thought I’d look up more covers. There’s some "serious"ones:

And THE scene again:

There have been several movie adaptations too:

6 Likes

darn, those covers are tempting. It looks like it might be hilarious to read. :eyes: Will follow this thread for some fun. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Also: Aozora books are usually available for free on amazon and other ebook stores in their respective format, if you are not aware.
(and it’s part of Japanese audible, apparently… darn… I might just have to bite the bullet and join you all on the smutty side of natively. :see_no_evil:)

Edit:

It actually fits well into my book club schedule, so I will give it a try. Not sure I'll be able to keep up with the pace, but I'll try.

よろしく! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I don’t know what you mean. We are all here to appreciate the Literature.

8 Likes

I’m happy to adjust the speed down. My initial thought was trying to keep it within the year (for a neat wrap up) but we can add some weeks. I’ll make a new proposed schedule later today and put it to a vote.

3 Likes

I would also vote for a more relaxed schedule.

1 Like

I mean, it’s not the worst to start the year off with some smut classic literature. :wink:

7 Likes

Ok, here is the schedule I’d initially proposed. We’ll call it the Fast Schedule:

Week Up to Approximate pages
Week 1 up to section 4 38 pages
Week 2 up to section 7 39 pages
Week 3 up to section 9 32 pages
Week 4 up to section 11 53 pages
Week 5 up to section 14 47 pages
Week 6 up to section 17 53 pages
Week 7 up to section 21 43 pages
Week 8 up to section 25 45 pages
Week 9 through end 51 pages

Here is the new one I wrote, trying to keep each week under 40 pages, we’ll call it the Relaxed Schedule

Week Up to Approximate pages
Week 1 up to section 3 28 pages
Week 2 up to section 5 20 pages
Week 3 up to section 7 28 pages
Week 4 up to section 9 32 pages
Week 5 up to section 10 23 pages
Week 6 up to section 11 28 pages
Week 7 up to section 13 30 pages
Week 8 up to section 15 32 pages
Week 9 up to section 17 36 pages
Week 10 up to section 20 30 pages
Week 11 up to section 23 38 pages
Week 12 up to section 25 21 pages
Week 13 up to section 27 29 pages
Week 14 through end of book 29 pages

I’ll note section 22 is ~17 pages so it doesn’t matter which way I swing that, one week is gonna be long and 17 is short for a week by itself. I’ll link this post from the OP shortly for ease of finding, but I’ll put the poll here:

I perfer…
  • The fast schedule
  • The relaxed schedule
  • I’ll do either
  • I have a different schedule that I will explain
0 voters
4 Likes

I was just checking my copy for difficulty and to see if it had endnotes, and I noticed that in the second sentence of the book Tanizaki tells us readers 恐らくは読者諸君に取っても、きっと何かの参考資料となるに違いない :smile: I hope everyone is ready to take notes…

(On the subject of endnotes, my copy does have them, but only 9 through the entire book, mostly brief ones about who famous-in-the-1920s people mentioned in the text were. I’ll probably summarise them as we go past them.)

7 Likes

I updated the OP to show that we’re following the relaxed schedule. Up to (but not including) section 3 for the first week, I’m digging in tonight! :smiley:

edit: I was already familiar with the name due to exposure in English, but it’s probably not a household name anymore so to maybe save people some Googling, this is Mary Pickford, the original ‘It Girl’ of the silent film era who is referenced a time or two

8 Likes

文化住宅: type of Japanese house incorporating Western elements that was made popular in the 1920s and 1930s

I’ll also note that if you’re using the youtube read along linked in the OP it does skip a few sentences - nothing you wouldn’t be unable to figure out from context I think, but just be aware of it.

This week’s section ends just about 13 minutes into the second 朗読.

7 Likes

(very beginning)

NAOMI と書くとまるで西洋人のようだ

That’s already a wild take. Wouldn’t that be true for any name? :joy: It doesn’t sound particularly foreign…

2 Likes

I was curious about that too and googled. I found this article: 英語の名前 “Naomi” はもともと日本語ではなく英語だった!? | 日刊英語ライフ

日本で「ナオミ」という名前が生まれた由来にはいくつかの説が存在します。その中の1つはが1925年に出版された谷崎潤一郎の小説「痴人の愛」に登場した女性「奈緒美」です。
[…]
それでは、1925年に出版された「痴人の愛」よりも前に日本に「ナオミ」という名前がなかったのか?というと存在していました。
ただし資料の中で残っている名前は、女性の名前ではなく男性の名前です。

There’s more I left out, but the gist seems to be that the ‘flavor’ of the name was a bit different back then

5 Likes

Wow that’s wild. Well, TIL I guess.

Back to the book (I reading while waiting for the elevator and the like, so I’m not extremely fast :stuck_out_tongue: neither is posting

そして顔だちばかりでなく、彼女を素っ裸にして見ると、その体つきが一層西洋人臭いのですが、それは勿論後になってから分ったことで、その時分には私もそこまでは知りませんでした

Okay hold on, how did you get to ever know that? (I mean, I have theories :joy:)

Just a bit later:

ですから最初の私の計画は、とにかくこの児を引き取って世話をしてやろう。そして望みがありそうなら、大いに教育してやって、自分の妻に貰い受けても差支さしつかえない。―――と、云うくらいな程度だったのです。

Literal grooming. It’s somehow hilarious that it was not an issue at the time of writing (at least the というくらい makes it extremely casual from the point of view of the narrator)

5 Likes

As I start to read, I wish we had one of the wonky covers for this on natively. :rofl:

3 Likes

She gets one of the 9 endnotes in my paperback edition too:

p6: メリー・ピクフォード Mary Pickford アメリカの映画女優。第一次大戦のころ、清純な娘役で最も人気のあったスター。

3 Likes