Bug: Setting book to "stopped" removes start date

Ahh thx, and sorry for the duplicate!! I should have checked more carefully first

2 Likes

Don’t worry about it. As there are 100+ open now even some could slip through me even though I created all of them in Trello :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This request is approved.

I think the only addedum i’d add is that I add a ‘stopped_at’ date to the database model, which is auto populated when you stopped. This is cleaner than depending on a ‘date modified’ as that might not be accurate.

If you resume progress again, the ‘stopped_at’ would be wiped and the ‘started_at’ would be refreshed to the current date.

3 Likes

I think it would also be useful to surface the stopped date.

I have a couple books for example that I’d like to know how long has been since I’ve touched them and currently there’s no real way to tell other than digging the activity.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t do that. Some people might use Stopped for long pauses and then continue from where they left off. And generally I don’t think you should overwrite data since you can’t predict every use case. If the user is truly starting over they can reset the start date manually.

7 Likes

I agree with this. In fact this is the reason I’m so reluctant to mark things as stopped. I don’t want to have to remember my original start date.

If you automatically refresh ‘started_at’ to the current date, anyone who simply paused has to remember to return the ‘started_at’ field to what it was before (and if they forget to do this, they have to go through their history to remember what it was which can be annoying).

But if you retain the original ‘started_at’ data instead of repopulating it, all anyone has to do when starting the book over from the beginning is click set to today.

6 Likes

Accidentally fat fingered a book to stopped and sad my start date disappeared. This may come to preference, but I’m not sure why the “stopped” button has to be the biggest button and on the side you usually see OK/Cancel (this may be a apple vs windows thing). The mouse travel distance is also the shortest when having pressed “update”, so that’s where my focus naturally goes first.

I’m not sure stopping a book is so common you need a big shortcut button for it anyway?

1 Like

I’m case you still need it, if you go to data manager, or filter activity on the book, you should be able to dig up the start date again. Works as long as you’ve been updating your pgs (if you marked something as Reading, but didn’t put any page progress in, then it won’t show up in data manager afaict)

2 Likes

You know that’s right, don’t know why I’d wipe it. Good idea and thanks everyone else for confirming that behavior too :slight_smile:

Hmm I usually expect actions on popup on the bottom right, but yeah I can understand what you mean. It is one of the common actions and I’m also not entirely happy with that UI … but perhaps fixing this behavior to not wipe the start date would render this issue minimal. Good to know though, that potential danger raises the priority of this fix!

3 Likes

Unfortunately this was the first time updating the book progress, so I had no data. If I mark a book as started, I usually only update it only after I’ve made some meaningful progress (like a week later, even if I read it every day). I don’t care about individual sessions or daily stats.

I think I was able to deduce the probable date by looking at my other activity, in the end. Maybe starting a book could create a entry in the data manager? Or is that just redundant duplicate data.

2 Likes

It just gets weird as a very common behavior is to:

1. Come on the site, log a bunch of old books
  2. Go through and update the dates

So, it’s very common to have the ‘date moved into reading’ be much later than when they actually started it.

Basically, I think that isn’t a good idea :slight_smile:

Let’s just fix this issue!

2 Likes

You can save/set a start date by setting a book to “Reading”.

Yeah, I did that before. The whole point of this thread was that it gets deleted if you set the book as stopped.

Gotcha, makes sense.

Maybe this is a different issue for another thread, but this reminds me of another case for stopped books and starting date. When I started on the site, I added a bunch of “stopped” books. Even though I set the start date for a year before, I still had a big bump of “pages read” on the day I set the book as stopped. So it assumed I read like 800 pages in a day, I think?

Not sure how that should be handled; would it be difficult to spread out the pages read?

@brandon Any idea when you’ll work on this one? I just stopped another show, so it’s fresh in my mind. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

it’s in the ‘Doing’ column :slight_smile:

Should be out tomorrow

6 Likes

Awesome, great to hear!

2 Likes

Ok, so this should be fixed! We no longer wipe the started_at date, so I believe we can close this.

I am also recording a ‘stopped_at’ date, however I am not really surfacing it yet. If we’d like, let’s add a followup ticket for that one @Megumin, as it seems you were the champion for it :slight_smile:. I wasn’t quite sure all the places I had to surface it ane if it needed to be editable… so quite a bit more work potentially, or at least thought.

One caveat - for all currently stopped shows / books, the started_at date is already wiped unfortunately. If we think it’d be very beneficial, I can try to look through the status logs and repopulate it… but what can I say, lots to do :laughing:

2 Likes

I think maybe the same Reading/Finished window might be able to do the job.

For the editable place, if there’s no good place for now, can it be just be thrown into the data manager until a better place is found?

I’ll leave this open for 24h in case someone wants to give their input on this.
For me it’s not that big if of a deal as I don’t have that many stopped books to begin with (yet).

2 Likes