Chapter 7 🧙 Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone 🪄 Multilingual 💬

Harry Potter lives in the cupboard under the stairs at his uncle and aunt’s house at number four, Privet Drive - until the day when a mysterious letter arrives from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and a giant on a flying motorcycle arrives to change his life with four simple words: ‘Harry - yer a wizard.’

Natively Links

Book Club Links

Reading Schedule

The regular schedule covers one chapter a week, but if you find this too fast, the relaxed schedule covers one chapter every two weeks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Regular Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter
7 May 13 Chapter 7

Relaxed Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter
13 June 24 Chapter 7 (first half)
14 July 1 Chapter 7 (second half)

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.

Polls

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
2 Likes

There’s a great moment where Dumbledore says he’d like to say a few words. The Spanish words were very unexpected! I need to pull them up again when I have the book to hand to see how they compare to the English.

2 Likes

Antes de comenzar nuestro banquete, quiero deciros unas pocas palabras. Y aquí están, ¡Papanatas! ¡Llorones! ¡Baratijas! ¡Pellizco!…¡Muchas gracias!

Simpletons! Crybabies! Knickknacks! Pinch!

And the original English: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

So pretty good translation really. The Spanish words have some similarities with the original English, but they’ve picked 4 Spanish words that have a really nice sound to them!

The other interesting word I picked out in Spanish was santo y seña. It literally translates as “saint and sign” but as a phrase means “watchword” or “code phrase”. The current password caput draconis is in Latin so it stayed the same in the translation!

3 Likes

Ooh, thanks for checking on the English! I’m a bit behind Japanese-wise, so I don’t know what they used here. Anyone else know? How about for the Korean version?

1 Like