Chapter 8 🧙 Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone 🪄 Multilingual 💬

Harry Potter lives in the cupboard under the stairs at his uncle and aunt’s house at number four, Privet Drive - until the day when a mysterious letter arrives from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and a giant on a flying motorcycle arrives to change his life with four simple words: ‘Harry - yer a wizard.’

Natively Links

Book Club Links

Reading Schedule

The regular schedule covers one chapter a week, but if you find this too fast, the relaxed schedule covers one chapter every two weeks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Regular Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter
8 May 20 Chapter 8

Relaxed Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter
15 July 8 Chapter 8 (first half)
16 July 15 Chapter 8 (second half)

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.

Polls

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
2 Likes

I haven’t done much but complain about the Spanish narrator’s voice in my copy of the audiobook, but I liked his Snape voice.

I always enjoyed the descriptions of staircases moving around and doors sometimes not working properly in this chapter; it really sells the “magic school” vibe, I thought.

1 Like

Felt like a short chapter this week. Hagrid is such a great character in these books. Despite a tough first week it’s great that Harry has somewhere he can go where he feels safe and eat some rock hard cake!

Agree, I feel like I’ve had a new appreciation for this book reading it again. The hallways, the paintings, the classes - it’s brilliant writing.

1 Like

Met someone from Seville at work yesterday with her ten year old and asked if she had any recommendations for books to read in Spanish. Harry Potter was her top recommendation!

1 Like