Content Tags / Genre Tags

Description of your request or bug report:

• Community tagged & editable
  • Similar to Anilist Tagging System
  • Adult content Tagging?

Trello link:

Should there be a separate request for genres and tags? Genres are usually pretty fixed (e.g. sci-fi, fantasy, slice of life) whereas tags can pretty much be anything. Right now the title of this topic mentions ā€œgenre tagsā€ but the body of the topic just mentions tags in general and not genres.

That would make sense to me. Since genres tend to be more fixed, those feel like they should be easier to scrape if we can find a decent website for it. Tags I would expect to have some sort of grading system integrated in them, so more voted on/submitted tags are more prominent, as well as potentially a review process before theyā€™re formally added to a book; that sounds like it would end up being differently implemented from the genre labels in the long run.

4 Likes

I feel like finding out the genre of Japanese books is oddly difficult without knowing the author or reading the description. It seems like the majority are just chucked into a ꖇčŠøćƒ»å°čŖ¬ bucket :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Wikipedia has this information a lot of the time, though itā€™s kind of all over the place in terms of how useful the information is.

1 Like

For popular books/series perhaps, but I suspect it to be pretty limited. I just searched a title by a popular author (å¤œč­¦ by čµ¤å·ę¬”éƒŽ) and it doesnā€™t seem to have an entry. If one went entirely by author itā€™d be bucketed as ā€œcrimeā€ but that novel is actually ā€œsupernatural suspenseā€.

Iā€™m personally inclined to just have the users tag the genre like anything else.

2 Likes

This is a wonderful system suggestion, that will make searching much easier and allow for people to have a better idea about books they are interested in.

I also think having it be restricted to 2 types of tags:
Genre
Trigger Warnings
Would make the most sense.

Since it seems people are concerned about spoilers, having general tags that are restricted to genre only related topics (maybe a predetermined list of genres to pick from), or trigger only related topics (basic trigger lists are pretty easy to find so having options from those wouldnā€™t be hard) it would solve that problem.

3 Likes

So these are bucketed together because I figured they would both be community editable / voted onā€¦ Iā€™ve even thought about having the ā€˜genreā€™ simply be a content tag which gets special handling in filters (i.e. when filtering genre content tags are easily viewable) and display (maybe for short blurbs on the book it would get the genre tags, if they arenā€™t spoilers).

Regardless, did think they would be done together. I donā€™t think Iā€™d implement genres separately before content tags.

We could certainly have a list of tags deemed ā€˜triggersā€™ if we can agree on them.

However, the UI will be similar to AniLists. So I wont be breaking into separate sections, but may surface an icon on the tag.

Keep in mind that genres are usually pretty binary. Either something is sci-fi or itā€™s not. Itā€™s comedy or itā€™s not. Also, most books/series tend to only have a few genres, making them easy to view and highly valuable. But tags can be pretty much anything and are much more subjective, which is why AniList has a voting system where users can specify how prominent the tag is to the series, impacting the percentage for that tag. And then when searching by tag on AniList, users can specify the minimum percentage before they want to include something in the search results, because honestly thereā€™s a lot of noise at the lower percentages (I believe a new tag is only set to 20%, so unpopular series tend to have only a few tags, and at low percentages). Just to give an example of a very unpopular series, this is Sora Communication:

They are all at 20% (the default), but having read the first volume I can say that all of those things are absolutely valid tags and should ideally have high percentages. Of course, I could go and add an unrelated tag and it would probably stay there at 20% as well, meaning these 20% tags canā€™t really be trusted. On the other hand, a popular series with tags at 20% would indicate that those tags are likely wrong and should be ignored by users. Iā€™ve had a very mixed experience with tags on AniList because of that, but Iā€™ve never had an issue with genres since they are just included or not included for a series.

Not saying you shouldnā€™t do both. I think they both certainly have value. Itā€™s just that one comes with a lot of complexity and the other seems straightforward to me.

Itā€™s just iā€™m not entirely sure how to implement genres without tags. It has to be community editable. I could have all users be able to change them, or have some sort of trust level. It may be easier after I tackle the ā€˜community editableā€™ feature around descriptionsā€¦ but using the content tags is an elegant solution imo.

Maybe follow a similar upvote system, but only surface a genre when it reaches a certain threshold of upvotes / percentage?

Basically I just mean that Iā€™d find it weird if ā€œsci-fiā€ (genre) was the same importance as ā€œspaceā€ (tag) or if ā€œslice of lifeā€ (genre) was the same importance as ā€œcafĆ©sā€ (tag). The genres can still be community sourced, but should just be listed or not (no percentage, e.g. ā€œ60% sci-fiā€ would be really weird) and should be placed in a more prominent place than tags.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this will be helpful, but StoryGraph when browsing shows genre tags (which are green) and then the top few tags about the mood and pacing (which are pink). After going to the bookā€™s page you can see more of the tags. Genre tags users can choose from a set list, but i donā€™t remember what about the mood and pacing tags, if there was a set list or you could make a new one.

Everyone who reviews the book can choose whichever mood and pacing tags they think applies to the book and the percentage gets adjusted. There are also questions about character and plot development, but I donā€™t think we need them.

When browsing:

Mood tags inside the book page:

Mood and pacing from a different book to show how lengthy it can get:

4 Likes

Ooooh different colors for different types of tags looks fancy.

As mentioned in the main product thread, Iā€™ve started work on the first iteration of this ticket!

One question for you all - how should we handle spoilers? AniList simply allows the initial user to specify spoiler tags. Iā€™m not sure if they have a way to change that initial specification outside pinging an admin on the forum?

Iā€™m inclined to handle it similarly unless people have better ideas around this. We could allow a vote system for spoilers too, but that may be overkill.

Pinging @seanblue on this as I know youā€™re one of the more sensitive ones about spoilers :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You can submit a change and a data mod will do it.

download

Hovering brings up the options to see who submitted the tag, delete, or toggle spoiler on/off.

1 Like

Would it be possible to hide/blur tags of unread books as an option for people who are averse to spoilers that could be contained in tags?

A checkbox in the user settings like ā€œShow tags for unread books (may contain spoilers!)ā€

2 Likes

That may be useful but I donā€™t think it achieves the same thing. For example, if I do a book search by tag, hereā€™s how Iā€™d want it to work:

1. Search books by tag
  2. Shows all books with that tag not marked as spoiler
  3. Allow an option on the search page to include spoiler tags (off by default)
3 Likes

I get where youā€™re going here, but I often add in content warnings that are spoilers. Ie, one book I can think of you donā€™t find out til several chapters in that the crime the main character has been accused of is sexual assault, but thatā€™s a topic some people absolutely donā€™t want to read about so Iā€™d like to be able to tag it, but also spoiler it so people can decide for themselves whether or not they want to be ā€˜spoiledā€™.

2 Likes

I see. Yeah, different use of tags, but in that context that makes sense. But then people really need to make sure they donā€™t forget to spoiler their tags.

(Personally I put CW in my reviews (blurred).)

2 Likes