Filter by show type (live action, animated, etc.) similar to books

If you choose to browse videos on Natively, the only filtering options are “Movie” or “TV”, compared to books which have a more wide variety of types (manga, light novel, novel, children’s, etc.)

In my opinion, there should be something similar for video too, such as the option to filter by Live Action or Animated. Sometimes I want practice but don’t feel like specifically watching anime and the lack of a filtering for live action shows/TV makes it hard to find some, other than just scrolling for awhile.

I am specifically speaking about Japanese (since there is a lot of anime) but I don’t know if this is a Japanese-specific topic.

Thanks for reading!

We could have filters for animated movies/series and one for reality TV as well.

4 Likes

Exactly, that’s a really good idea!

1 Like

For Japanese at least, variety and/or panel show should also be a category.

2 Likes

I think that would count of live action or maybe game show? It’s up to whoever organizes it, I guess

I was just thinking that the difference between a drama, reality (read: Terrace House :joy:), and a panel show. If we’re going to separate them out we may as well make these distinctions.

1 Like

Wouldn’t these finer categories be a good use case for tags?

3 Likes

Probably, but for general ones like anime versus live action I think it’d make sense to have it separate

3 Likes

My understanding in the separation between categories (say manga versus novels) is that the media is so different, it makes it difficult to compare them to each other. Having different categories helps the algorithm keep things separated.
I don’t watch enough visual content to make a judgement here, but would you say that the difference in content between anime and live action is so different that difficulty judgment is complicated? I guess I could see anime using weird vocabulary while drama would be more down to earth and panel shows would focus more on cracking jokes or something like that.

2 Likes

For me I’d say anything with a voice actor is usually easier than the same level of dialogue since they generally talk more clearly than live action. That said, you can probably just take care of that with a grading level.

2 Likes

Honestly I made this post with less of the idea of how difficulty changes for us learners and more of “if the books are organized then it’d be cool to see the videos organized too”

But I agree with what Shitsurei said, there def is a language difference between the standard anime and live action show. Honestly, I would be cool with “Live Action” just being a tag, similar to how “no furigana” is a tag (despite the fact that it affects reading a lot more than say, light novel vs novel IMO)

3 Likes