Give me your fantasy novel/LN recommendations!

I’m all ears, go on.
Jokes aside, I intend to read a few of the books from 12国記 after I finish 本好きの下剋上 part 3. I could use some recommendations in the realm of fantasy, perhaps something like classic western titles (Name of the Wind, Mistborn, etc), but anything interesting rlly. What are your thoughts?

6 Likes

In terms of light novels, I would go with 悪食令嬢と狂血公爵 ~その魔物、私が美味しくいただきます!~ (series) | L31, since you’ve already been reading 本好きの下剋上.

For novels: I guess anything by 上橋 菜穂子. 獣の奏者 (series) | L33 is probably my favorite but doesn’t have much in terms of magic/fantasy setting. 狐笛のかなた | L28 has a more explicit magic presence.

Other than that, I’ve been interested in reading 狼と香辛料 (series) | L35 and 西の善き魔女, but I don’t know much about those, so I can’t really say. It seems that 西の善き魔女 is more like a classic western title, but again, I’m not sure (yet).

7 Likes

I have been reading different Isekai light novel recently. A lot of them feel more like the typical VRMMORPG, Sword Art Online feel though. The three I would say that feel the more like Western Fantasy Novels to me are:

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of the オーバーロード | 35 series.

It’s a slow burner but has deep world building and fleshed out characters. Im 8 novels in and looking forward to reading the 9th.

3 Likes

キノの旅|L30 is a classic recommendation in this space for LNs. I read the first half of the first LN in the series a while back and while I loved the story, it was a slog at that point for me. I plan on reading the Manga version first which is easier, and then giving the LN another try sometime soon!

It’s basically about a girl (Kino) who travels with her motorcycle, Hermes, to different regions/worlds but only spends 3 days in each - each world is sort of like a short story. You learn about each world and it’s often quite thought-provoking and deep, full of social commentary.

1 Like

Isn’t that part supposed to be a spoiler? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If you like 金の月のマヤ 1 黒のエルマニオ | L26, another entertaining children’s fantasy book is レミアの翼 | L30 which is basically about a girl who descends from the sky world to the surface world and wonders why humans are such assholes who can never be happy. I did feel it was significantly more difficult than 金の月のマヤ when I read it but that might just be because I haven’t read enough “true” fantasy yet.

2 Likes