Have you come across any interesting JLPT grammar?

Any idea what the origin of that one is? It has such a strange structure, and I suspect I won’t remember its meaning unless I can relate it back to a verb or something else I know.

I think it’s an alternative form of といったらありはしない. In fact, this link says they have the same meaning. If I translated literally, it would be something like “Such thing as X, there’s nothing like it”, I think, but I’m not sure.

3 Likes

That makes sense. I saw ありはしない when looking around, but since nothing listed the whole phrase といったらありはしない I didn’t put it together.

2 Likes

One from near the end of 迷探偵の条件

事件があったあと、不謹慎極まりないことを言うのは樋野先輩。

3 Likes

〜からには (N2) while reading ifの悲劇 | L36

「夕張のMというバー、ご存知ですか?」
「まったく知りません」
「本当ですか?」
「知りませんよ」
俺はむっとして、少しだけ語気を強めて答えた。そこまでしつこく訊いてくるからには、刑事たちがMというバーを重要視しているのだろう。

3 Likes

〜きらいがある (N1) in ifの悲劇 | L36

妻の彩さんには潔癖症のきらいがあり、そのことも別居の一因だった。

3 Likes

nice! I don’t think I have noticed that used before. It was one of the N1 points I wasn’t sure where it was used.(referring to きらいがある)

I have seen からには a few times recently, and my boss used it at work during his 朝礼 on either Friday or Thursday.

1 Like

Some recent spots from 幽霊列車

岩だらけならば、まだよじ登る事もできようが、滑りやすい粘土質の、のっぺりとした屏風のような崖である。

You’d probably just guess that one, but I recall seeing the point before.

ここに至って私は少々不安になって来た

1 Like

Another one that you could guess from this morning. Good old よう実… at times it makes me feel like I can’t read :crying_cat_face:

それは、佐倉が嘘つきである、と言っているも同然だった

2 Likes

I was reading something the other day and came across a wild 無理もない “of course (someone would/wouldn’t do something”, along with a few stem がち “tend to” too.

(I’m wracking my brain but can’t remember what I was reading)

1 Like

Honestly N1 grammar is absolutely everywhere when you are regularly reading native materials. Maybe most of it doesn’t come up all that often when speaking, but if you want to read interesting things then learning it is essential in my opinion.

1 Like