Immersion Reader - E-Reader & Dictionary App

i dont really have any interest in flashcard or social media sharing stuff. i really just want a good tool that can be used for immersion. anki is already the perfect srs and the social media stuff is only a distraction. for the people who do value the social media stuff discord, twitter and reddit apps already exist. the things that matter most to me are:

full yomichan dictionary support including the esoteric stuff like frequency lists
ebook support
mokuro manga support(potentially easily solved by implementing pdf support)
browsing the web since that gives you access to pretty much everything

obviously this is just my personal opinion and since it’s your app you can work on whatever you think is important.

1 Like

Not really an option in the poll, but I’d use the app and no SRS at all :smile_cat:

It looks much better than the early version I installed on release

1 Like

It should already work with frequency lists like JLPT and VN frequency. Are there any frequency dictionaries that didn’t work for you?

The latest update added a browser to the app. It’s a $5 in-app purchase to offset the app store fees and support development.

If you can’t pay currently, you can also clone the source code and build the app for your phone. You will probably have to spend some time figuring out how to set it up.

Using the browser, you could go to an online PDF viewer for that. I will consider making a separate app for manga and PDFs in the future.

Do you mean you’d use both export features as well as built-in SRS?

1 Like

O sorrry, no. I’d just use it for reading on my ipad mini. Apple trashed Apple Books in iOS 16 and Ten was flakey on TTU

I don’t do flash cards — I hate them :dizzy_face:

I know you use an older TTU (I actually prefer the old version!) You could look into adding the Klee One font, which is popular amongst TTU users

I’ve been testing this out for a while now and find perfect for a quick lookup whilst reading on my phone. Admittedly I don’t see the need for a browser as I mainly just use this for books, but thank you for the continued support and work on this. It’s completely replaced my Kindle on my commute :smiley:

I only have one gripe and its whether the app will be scaled properly for each iOS device, (sorry not quite sure the right terms to use here), as currently, on IPhone 12 Mini it has black bars at the top and bottom, and is not full screen. I’m unsure how this looks on other devices, but thought I’d ask! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s awesome1

The top black bar is a result of the phone’s notch. If the app goes “full screen”, then part of the text will be hidden behind the notch, and there isn’t any easy way to wrap text for certain parts of the screen.

Regarding the bottom bar, I guess you are referring to the navigation menu? I plan to remove that eventually when a vocabulary list viewer is available on the reader itself. That will take some time though!

Until that happens, how about a notification to remind you to enter the app every 5 days? Sometimes I go on a longer streak reading on another device and it would be a bummer to get the books lost.

I just started trying this out today, and really like the simplicity so far. Only requests i have so far would be a full screen mode. My other issues had to do with Anki Dojo, which I mentioned in another thread.

I think it will be much faster for me to migrate the web database into the app to solve that issue than to set up a notification system.

Yes that is planned. I will probably add a full screen mode in settings for now, but I intend to make it the default behavior when vocabulary lists and other features are accessible from within the reader.

2 Likes

Thank you! I can come up with various tiny things to request, but fundamentally, this is just about perfect. Simple and quick to look up and save words with sentence context.

But… tiny requests below anyway :slight_smile:

Is it possible to have a setting to keep the screen from dimming (override the os setting, like video apps do)?

Also, I find it difficult to to tap the word I want to look up accurately. It seems to want me to tap slightly above the first character. This isn’t a big deal, since the tabbed thing on the lookup bit is so well-implemented, but the initial lookup could be refined slightly. Or maybe it’s just me.

One more feature request: syncing across devices. It would be nice to read on my iPad when flying or at home, then pick up where I left off on my phone when on the go.

I think this last feature you requested is already planned

Edit: Actually it might been something on ttu issue tracker, so now I’m not sure. @Yui will have to confirm.

1 Like

Well that’s good news :slight_smile:

Actually syncing is a very hard problem here and has not been planned.

Simply saving progress or bookmarks could be straightforward, but that would require matching books between your iPhone and your iPad, a problem mentioned earlier in this thread and have also been drafted on Github.

It would become even more complicated if book syncing was brought to the table. Looking at how Apple books do it, I would have to back up every book to iCloud drive (in immersion reader’s own folder), and allow manually downloading books to different devices. Until I have migrated the ttu database to the app’s database, this will not even be possible.

Thanks for the explanation. So if progress could be synced so long as the user uploads the same epub to both devices, that would be extremely useful, I think. Book syncing isn’t really necessary. In the meantime, could there be a jump to location feature so I could manually type in the location number from one device on another? If it’s already there, I’m just missing it.

Did you see the issue I mentioned in the parser thread about Dojo’s dupe handling from the exported csvs?

Sorry for all the questions. I’m making a commitment to plow through a challenging book using the reader, so I’m trying to make sure I don’t run into any major workflow problems.

Couldn’t uploading be bypassed with some sort of hashing the epub to see if they match across devices?

Then you could just store the hash, timestamp and location.

1 Like

Intercepting the upload is right about as much work as simply migrating the
book database to the app itself.

Full screen support is now available on the latest version.

Reading goals are also available. There are still a few places to polish on, such as always showing the newest read time, streaks, and daily statistics, but I wanted to get this feature out this year so users can complete a full streak starting on the first day next year.

2 Likes

Very nice! Look even better now. Thank you!

1 Like

Looks great! Any chance of Android in the future?