Immersion Reader - E-Reader & Dictionary App

Not anytime soon.

On Android, you can already use yomichan with kiwi browser or this app.

Oh fantastic, was looking for an epub reader specifically. Cheerz

I’m noticing lately that the reader will not save my place when exiting and coming back later. It’s always a few pages back.

Also, it possible to skip over the front page on opening the app and go right back to where you left off in the book?

It’s due to the default delay for bookmarks to be registered for ttu. This delay ensures you don’t bookmark a page you’re not actually reading. I can add an option to edit the duration of this delay but that would require revamping the controls in ttu and that would take a while.

I’ll consider this. I’m someone who never turns off my phone or closes apps so this has never bothered me.

Thanks. I’m the opposite- obsessive app closer :slight_smile:

One more: can you add an option to keep the screen on?

@Yui

Do you think it would be doable to implement the recent changes that allow us to use cloud syncing?

It would be really fantastic to me as I mainly read on another non-apple device, but it’s a pain to sync manually.

I’ve tried it on Mac, and I can’t even export a file because of how it requires folder permissions that Chrome doesn’t have on Mac, and the UI is very clunky.

I can add an option to import/export the db file for sure, but since I’m moving away from the ttu DB I don’t think that’s worth the time.

If ttu freezes their DB format in the future then I"ll consider writing parsers for imports and exports.

I’m using onedrive and seems to work fine.
It savesa json file with the cover and the position.

I have a feature request. It’d be great if you could see how many hours you spent on a book in total.

That’s possible. There are a ton of stats I could show but I want to provide good defaults without cluttering the phone screen.

I’m thinking of adding a separate stats screen.

That sounds great!! Looking forward to having stats eventually! Will they include average reading speed as well?

Unfortunately information such as word count or page count would require updating the embedded reader, so that won’t be available any time soon.

I rewrote parts of the embedded reader and included reading speed (characters per second) in the statistics page.

I’m publishing this with the coming update. If you’re using an existing version, you just can launch the books in the new version and the numbers will show up.

I’m adding more statistics for each book, for example total read time, average characters read per session, and current section in book.

The hardest parts about making these statistics is that the current database schema does not support these statistics, and I have to be careful with database migrations.

Thank you soooo much!! This is a great update!! Really looking forward to seeing my numbers! Especially total read time and words mined.
Will it include characters per hour in future updates as well? Since you said you want to expand the stats.

That’s possible, but having multiple units (char/min, char/hour, char/day, char/session) for the same metric will introduce feature creep. Is there any reason why you you think char/hour would be more helpful than char/second?

I personally think it’s a better and more precise average since a second is too short to really measure it.

1 Like

I agree it’s easier to communicate speed in hours for someone who reads for hours at a time.

But what if someone has only read for 20 minutes? Should it still use hour as a counter? Should it multiply the characters in those 20 minutes by 3 even though the person hasn’t read that many characters?

Since the stats here are for comparing between books, it should make sense that the numbers are not forecasted and should be accurate even for short books.

Can’t it reflect the average of all hours read in the book? So even if you only read 10 mins now, but read 2 hours previously, it can calculate an average by adding the current reading time to the previous reading time? That would be the most accurate average speed I think. Or would that be too hard to implement?
If that’s not possible, then at least per minute? Since I still think a second is too short to really measure an average.

I think a threshold before seeing reading speed is fine, but a one hour threshold seems too long. Most people would probably expect to see their reading speed after 10-20 minutes.

Character/second is the average of the total time. Minutes are fine too. It’s just a number that is character/second * 60.

Example:
4.00 characters/second
240 characters/minute
14,400 characters/hour

You can now browse zipped webpages from your phone in the app’s browser, including html files generated by mokuro.

To load files, tap the tray icon on the bottom on select Load Local Files (.zip).

Since the text does not match perfectly with the image, it might take one or two tries to get the word. I might add a feature to switch to long press in the settings.