リング Informal Reading Club ⭕ ☠

Welcome to the リング Informal Reading Club

リング | L35 (learnnatively.com)

Written by 鈴木 光司 (Suzuki Kouji) in 1989, this is possibly what comes to mind for most people when they hear “Japanese horror”. It is the first of a series, and adapted multiple times for TV and cinema worldwide. I think the basic premise of the cursed videotape needs no introduction: “If you watch that video, you’ll die in a week .”

There are 4 chapters of uneven length in the book. The page numbers are approximate, calculated based on percentages, so may be off. If someone has the paperback, I’d be grateful if they could provide actual page numbers.

Book Contents

Chapter Start % ~ Page Count
第一章
1 1% ~13
2 5% ~7
3 7% ~7
4 9% ~10
5 12% ~7
6 14% ~17
第二章
1 19% ~20
2 25% ~13
第三章
1 29% ~10
2 32% ~13
3 36% ~13
4 40% ~27
5 48% ~24
6 55% ~10
7 58% ~3
8 59% ~17
9 64% ~27
10 72% ~10
11 75% ~13
12 79% ~30
第四章
1 88% ~7
2 90% ~3
3 91% ~7
4 93% ~10
5 96% ~10

Suggested Schedule

Week Start Date Chapters Pages
Week 1 Oct 2 第一章 1-3 ~27
Week 2 Oct 9 第一章 4-6 ~34
Week 3 Oct 16 第二章 and 第三章 1-3 ~69
Week 4 Oct 23 第三章 4-7 ~64
Week 5 Oct 30 第三章 8-11 ~67
Week 6 Nov 6 第三章 12 and 第四章 (all) ~67
initial, slower schedule
Week Start Date Chapters Pages
Week 1 Oct 2 第一章 1-3 ~27
Week 2 Oct 9 第一章 4-6 ~34
Week 3 Oct 16 第二章 (all) ~33
Week 4 Oct 23 第三章 1-3 ~36
Week 5 Oct 30 第三章 4-5 ~51
Week 6 Nov 6 第三章 6-8 ~30
Week 7 Nov 13 第三章 9-10 ~37
Week 8 Nov 20 第三章 11-12 ~43
Week 9 Nov 27 第四章 (all) ~37

Discussion Rules

• Please mention which chapter your comment is meant for.
  • Please use spoiler tags liberally, both for referring to the book’s contents and for speculation of your own. Label your spoilers accordingly so that people know when it’s safe to view them.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read リング with the book club?

• Yes
  • Not sure
  • No
0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• Ebook
  • Paperback
0 voters
Names cheat sheet

大石智子 おおいし・ともこ (私立女子高三年生、17)
秀一 しゅういち
木村幹夫 きむら・みきお (運転手)
浅川和幸 あさかわ・かずゆき(記者)
小栗 おぐり (編集長)
影山輝方 かげやま・てるかた (教祖)
吉野 よしの
辻遥子 つじ・ようこ
能美武彦 のうみ・たけひこ
しずか
良美 よしみ
紀子 のりこ
健一 けんいち
陽子 ようこ
野々山結貴 ののやま・ゆうき

4 Likes

The plan is to start this in October, in time for Halloween, but anyone can join at any time. Depending on participation, all discussion will probably take place in this one thread. If there are many of us we can discuss about weekly threads if people prefer it.

We can each read at our own pace, or we can follow a schedule. Let me know your preferences!

4 Likes

Thanks for setting this up. :green_heart:

There seems to also be an audiobook on audible.

5 Likes

There is? Shall I change the poll to include audiobook then?
Edit: Looked it up, only available in Japan apparently. :frowning:

2 Likes

not necessary, imo. Just wanted to let ppl know who might be more inclined to join, if audio is available.

I keep forgetting about that, because I have a 聞き放題 subscription. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

I have no preference, but if schedule, I need something of at the very least 2 weeks, but longer would be better. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

How about we aim to finish it at around the end of October? That would be 4+ weeks if we start on the 1st.
And of course there’s no pressure, and plans can change any time. It’s just that if we read at roughly the same time it’s easier to discuss, therefore more fun.

4 Likes

sounds good to me. That’s around 10 pages (or 5k characters or ~30 minutes of reading) per day, which is definitely doable. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

sorry to be a huge nag about this but do you have an idea when in October?
in time for Halloween means to start then or that you want to reach a scary part by then?
it’s just that if it’s October specifically then I really need a timetable soon since there’s a bunch of things happening then and I want to know if maybe I’ll join you guys late or something

2 Likes

We’re still discussing schedule (and whether there will be a strict schedule at all), so let us know what would be convenient for you.
So far with @Biblio we’ve been saying that we would take all of October, starting on the 1st and finishing on the 31st, give or take. Does that work for you?

4 Likes

btw. there was a movie based on this book, right? Never watched it, but I might just schedule it for Halloween, if I manage to finish the book by then. :thinking:

3 Likes

There’s both a Japanese and an American version, at least:

3 Likes

Just watched the trailer of the Japanese one… I should probably watch this during daylight. :face_with_peeking_eye:

6 Likes

Yes I heard the movie is way scarier than the book. :sweat_smile:
I haven’t watched it either, and I’m not sure I will. I’m braver with books. :joy:

4 Likes

This seems to be connected, too.

Edit: It’s a whole series, apparently. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

not only were there several movies (I remember VERY WELL when the 2002 one came out :joy: :joy: :joy:), but Sadako is a playable killer in the game “dead by daylight”

3 Likes

if you’re starting in the beginning of October I’ll probably be on and off depending on what happens (can’t promise anything, everything will be a made on the spot kind of mess)

4 Likes

We’d be happy to have you, but you are also welcome to just drop into the thread later or something. :green_heart:

4 Likes

I bought this book on a whim based on a rec by a Japanese person (without him telling me anything about the contents except これはちょっと。。。 :grin:) and when I learned more about it, I got really scared, so maybe I’ll join this just because it will help me muster the courage to get through it :rofl:

It’s really funny though, when I was young I used to read Stephen King by the dozen (and boi did I get scared at times :scream:) but now I’ve become much more scared still :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Yes, join us! Reading scary things with company is way more fun!
Funnily enough I’ve never read Stephen King - I was too scared. I suspect I might enjoy him now, but then, there’s so much more to read…

By the way, everyone please voice your opinions on pacing. As I said, everyone is welcome to read at their own pace and at any time, but as it’s fun to read together, it’s worth it to try and accommodate as many people as possible.

Reading this from October 1st-31st would mean roughly 80 pages per week, which may sound a little scary. 10 pages per day is a much nicer way to put it, as @Biblio did :smiley:

We can also take up some or all of November if you like?

Okay, here’s a poll:

• I prefer to have finished by the end of October
  • I prefer to read this over two months, October and November
  • I’ll read at another time/at my own pace anyway
  • I have another suggestion (please explain)
0 voters
3 Likes