不機嫌な果実 Informal Reading Club

Welcome to the 不機嫌な果実 Informal Reading Club

Where to buy

Amazon | BookWalker

Discussion

We will start reading mid-to-end May 2024.

This is an informal book club, which means you can join any time (even before the official start date) and read at whatever pace suits you. When you comment, make sure to use spoilers and to always mention up to where you’ve read (and in which book), so that other readers know when it’s safe to open spoilers.

Discussion Rules

• Please mention which chapter your comment is meant for.
  • Please use spoiler tags liberally, both for referring to the book’s contents and for speculation of your own. Label your spoilers accordingly so that people know when it’s safe to view them.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read 不機嫌な果実 with the book club?

• Yes
  • Not sure
  • I’ve already read it but I’ll join the discussion
  • No
0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback
0 voters
4 Likes

The book has about 350 pages which are split up in 8 chapters (I don’t know how long the respective chapters are, though.) I was wondering whether we should keep the discussion in this one thread, or set up one thread per chapter?

• All discussion in this thread
  • One thread per chapter
  • I’m fine either way
0 voters
4 Likes

Fwiw I’ll be listening to the audiobook but I selected ebook since I own it (not sure I’ll use it the whole way through though, this seems like it might be a good out-for-walks book)

5 Likes

Yaaay can’t wait to start this book with everyone :sparkling_heart:
This will be my first time with bookclubs so i am very excited :sparkles:

5 Likes

Great! :blush: I hope you‘ll enjoy the ride. If you have any questions (regarding the club or the book, be it language or contents), or if you have comments or speculations you’d like to share, this is the place!

Regarding the discussion poll, we will have all discussions in this thread, as everybody agreed on.

BTW currently the book has a small coin cashback discount on BookWalker (25% or something) which is not too much but better than nothing, I guess.

2 Likes

The more the merrier. :partying_face:

Personally, I prefer the informal ones like this as you can just read at your own pace and fit it into your own schedule as you have time - or continue reading if something is particularly interesting. Yet, you still have reading buddies that you can share your thoughts or discuss stuff with.

4 Likes

odd, it doesn’t show that to me. :flushed:

770 Yen, no sale, no coin up, no nothing. BW doesn’t like me. :rofl:

Edit: Wrong bookclub :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I guess it knows that you‘re in too many bookclubs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Here it is:

2 Likes

omg. this is slightly very embarassing. I already own the book for this club. My brain got confused. :see_no_evil: In my defense, I just woke up? :face_in_clouds: I will now go stand in a corner.

4 Likes

Got the book today (the sale was a bit meh but I‘m not convinced there will be a better one in the next few weeks as Golden Week Sale is a bit unreliable at times) and can now report on the chapter lengths.

With the exception of chapter 4 (~55 pages) and chapter 8 (~65 pages) all chapters are 30-45 pages long. There appear to be more breaks in the chapters but for me the granularity of the chapters sounds good enough for our discussions.

If y‘all think we should break up the chapters into sections for more fine-grained discussions, please speak up :blush: Otherwise we’ll discuss at the chapter level.

4 Likes