Korean Beta - Feedback from Korean Users

I was thinking the same thing. TOPIK2? TOPIK3?

You mean you’ve rated it harder than everything else. Yeah, the grading prompter will just keep asking you until you rate something as equitable / harder than it. As long as something is within +/- 5 levels it’ll prompt you to compare it.

TBH that’s the expected behavior and I think the ideal behavior.

2 Likes

Well I’ve done one now. :grin:

Benchmark Book Club :face_in_clouds:

Shouldn’t this (and the others in the series) already have a set level since it’s graded as B2? :thinking:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Come help the grading system! Request for Benchmark Books, Movies & TV Shows

The “filter by provider” function isn’t working for me. I’ve added the Google Play and Ridibooks links to a few books myself, so I know they’re listed on the book pages. However, when I try to filter by provider (either Ridibooks or Google Play) in my library, it doesn’t work. The list of books stays the same.

3 Likes

I get the same. The filters seem to work on the browse page (the number of books decreases, anyway, I haven’t checked if they do actually include relevant links), but not in “my books”.

1 Like

3 Likes

@brandon , is there a way to add a book that’s on Ridibooks but not Yes24?

It is possible, just send me a DM with the appropriate information (book type & url)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this has been brought up already, but just in case it hasn’t, I just requested a book that’s in a series. Its Yes24 series is bogus, as usual, so I specified what the actual series books were, but the bogus series got added automatically anyways. I feel like it’d make more sense to have a manual verification before series gets populated for Natively Korean, to avoid that kind of thing since Yes24 has a lot of those series.

Plus, for series, the series blurb gets pulled from the added book’s page which generally doesn’t make much sense (and especially not in the case of the bogus series).

2 Likes

A few issues with “free” items:

• Some of the items with the tag don’t have any links to where it can be read for free (I feel like this should be a requirement for the tag to be added)
  • I’ve added a link for 우리 집 의자 | L0, but there’s no option to select that it’s available for free
  • Some series don’t have the tag on the browse page, but they do on the series/item page
3 Likes

I’ll add the links. I was going to do that, but then I couldn’t find a way to label a link as free, and after that I forgot.

1 Like

Yeah, I probably should stop that, you’re right. I’m just not sure what’s the right way to do this without putting in a lot of time here :thinking:

Intriguing…

You can just write ‘free’ in the notes section.

Also, I am doing important grading updates tonight, so please check out the grading thread!

2 Likes

It looks like Ridibooks is also a publisher, and their works are exclusive (so they don’t appear on Yes24 or other retailer sites). They don’t seem to have a category for their own published works, but 명 바꾸기 | L30?? is an example, and if you scroll down its Ridi page to the recommendations there are lots of others (you can also see several on the domestic best sellers categories, like this one - they all have ‘RIDI’ in the bottom right corner of the cover).

Would it be possible to add functionality to be able to add these books directly to the site since they can’t be added via Yes24?

2 Likes

I just noticed a problem with the title of 나의 별에게 | L30??, and I suspect it may have something to do with a quirk of Korean typing that I’ve come across occasionally. I may be mistaken and it’s something completely different (something like this, for example), but I just thought I’d draw attention to it.

Below is the title copied from the item page:

나의 별에게

Although it looks the same as 나의 별에게, which I’ve just typed, it is different. Usually if you use backspace after completing a syllable, the whole block is deleted. However occasionally you come across examples like the one above where it behaves slightly differently - if you copy and paste the text then use backspace, it deletes by letter rather than by block (for example, 게 becomes ᄀ, rather than being deleted completely). While this seems like an incredibly minor thing, it means the title can’t be found using search: I tried both copy-pasting the title and typing it out, but there were no results for either method.

It is an easy fix: just delete the title and type it out again. But as far as I’m aware, there’s no way to detect if titles are “broken” like this except the copy/paste/backspace method. I only discovered this because I was trying to add the item to a list but it wasn’t appearing in the search results. So there could be other examples like this in the database; again, not a huge deal because if you try to add it again, you’ll be directed to the existing page.

It’s a tiny thing, and while it doesn’t cause huge problems, it is a little inconvenient. Just thought I’d mention it in case i) it is a bug(?) unique to Korean, rather than something that affects all languages, ii) it can be detected and/or fixed automatically, and iii) users who are confused about not being able to find an existing item using search can be made aware of the potential issue.

2 Likes

I noticed that for 위시유, there is both the series and the movies on Natively. However, from my understanding, they’re pretty much identical, the only difference being that the series cuts up the movie into small segments. Hence, it’d make sense for gradings to be merged.

I thought I put in a feedback request about this at some point, but it hasn’t changed, so maybe I’m just misremembering :thinking:.

I’d guess this would fall under editions handling.

Here (어른 세계에 온 걸 환영해 | L20) it looks like there are two authors separated by a comma, except there’s only one author. It probably stems from a Yes24 problem.

아몬드 | L26 is present twice, I’m almost certain that the second one was added from a bogus Yes24 series.

@brandon , would it be possible to add more books providers for Korean? Here we have a thread on Korean book providers, so adding just a couple of those would be great. For example, https://www.booksonkorea.com/ , since they have such a wide selection.

1 Like

Seconded! :+1:

1 Like