ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next Book Apr 1

ngl, I have used natively quite a bit to navigate to a book on amazon or audible etc. because the amazon search function sometimes sucks… I often don’t remember what kanji are used or if something is written in hiragana. natively has been very helpful in that regard. :rofl:

7 Likes

Super excited to start the next book! I have a copy of it and the audiobook!

5 Likes

I’m just too lazy to switch my input to IME, so this is handy :rofl:

5 Likes

As we’re now halfway through 本好き, I’d like to remind everyone that we have seven open nomination slots; feel free to begin thinking of shiny new books to fill those places!

Also, though it’s not required, please let the group know if there’s a Korean translation of the nomination; I figure I’ll gather thoughts and feelings on the multilingual-style club once we’re a little closer to the end of 本好き, but in the meantime it can’t hurt to take note of potential future multilingual club options.

8 Likes

I may be lagging behind with the current read, but that’s not gonna stop me nomming! :rofl:

Book: Missing 神隠しの物語 | L31
Is there an ebook available?: yes
Is there an audiobook available?: no
Is there an all-furigana version available?: no
Is this book available in Korean?: The series was published in Korean, but appears to be out of print and only available second-hand.

Summary - Japanese

これは“感染”する喪失の物語。伝奇ホラーの超傑作が、ここに開幕。
神隠し――それは突如として人を消し去る恐るべき怪異。
学院には関わった者を消し去る少女の噂が広がっていた。
魔王陛下と呼ばれる高校生、空目恭一は自らこの少女に関わり、姿を消してしまう。
空目に対して恋心、憧れ、殺意――様々な思いを抱えた者達が彼を取り戻すため動き出す。
複雑に絡み合う彼らに待ち受けるおぞましき結末とは?
そして、自ら神隠しに巻き込まれた空目の真の目的とは?
鬼才、甲田学人が放つ伝奇ホラーの超傑作が装いを新たに登場。

Summary - English

Kyouichi Utsume, a.k.a. “His Majesty, Lord of Darkness,” is a dark and compelling mystery—so much so that his fellow Literature Club members would rather discuss him than books! When “His Majesty” vanishes in front of their very eyes, his friends are left with several unanswered questions: what is the source of Kyouichi’s long-standing obsession with the “other side”? And just who is Ayame—the eerily ghostlike girl Kyouichi brought to school as his girlfriend the day before he disappeared?

Why are you nominating this book: This is the first in a 13-volume horror series about urban legends and the occult, which sounds fun!

8 Likes

伯爵と妖精 1

Book: 伯爵と妖精 あいつは優雅な大悪党 | L30
Is there an ebook available?: yes
Is there an audiobook available?: no
Is there an all-furigana version available?: no
(Optional) Is this book available in Korean?: Yes, but OOP

Summary - Japanese

リディアは、妖精が見えて、彼らと話ができる女の子。父に会うためロンドン行きの船に乗った彼女は、突然現れた若い男に誘拐されてしまう。エドガーと名乗るその男は、自分は伯爵だと言い、彼の身分を明かすための宝剣探しをリディアに依頼する。胡散臭いと思いながらも、彼と契約してしまうリディア。一方ちまたでは凶悪な強盗事件が噂になっていた。犯人の特徴はエドガーに似ていて…!? ※あとがきは収録されていません。

Summary - English

(Taken from J-Novel Club) Lydia Carlton is a fairy doctor who can see and communicate with fairies. When she embarks on a journey to visit her father in London, she’s kidnapped by a young man named Edgar Ashenbert who introduces himself as an earl and requests Lydia’s aid in searching for a treasured sword that will prove his status. Although she finds his story dubious, Lydia agrees to work with him—if only because he’s her first real client. Meanwhile, rumors of a heinous burglary abound, and the culprit seems to bear an uncanny resemblance to Edgar…

Content warnings if known

None known

Why are you nominating this book: This has been on my TBR for a while, ever since learning about it from JNC licensing it. I like fantasy and the possibility of gentleman thieves/phantom burglars, and it’s a nice long series to sink your teeth into if you end up liking it.

6 Likes

How do I join?

2 Likes

It’s pretty informal! Once a book is voted on as our next read (we’re reading 本好きの下剋上 right now), a schedule and a home thread to organize everything will be posted. Reading is broken down into weekly chunks, and a thread for each week will be posted to discuss thoughts/questions for that week’s reading.

So there’s no sign-up list or anything; you can drop in or out as necessary, even way after the fact, since the threads aren’t closed when we’re done. I had to drop out of the コップクラフト club, for instance, but picked the book back up later and am following the club’s schedule.

4 Likes

Okay. I guess I’ll see if I see the next book when it starts!

4 Likes

Also, the first volume had a fairly different style from the rest of the series. It’s hard to describe, but it felt like a book aimed at a younger audience, while the rest of the series did not. For the purpose of the book club, my impression is that the first volume is easier than the rest, maybe one or two levels lower.

In terms of enjoyment, I liked it a lot as well, as it felt really nostalgic of the type of books I was reading as a young teen… I did think that nostalgia wouldn’t carry me through that many volumes, but, again, that was not an issue. I really enjoyed the volumes I read (up to volume 10) and I really want to get back to that series. I was waiting for my 積読 pile to get empty… but it seems that won’t be happening, so I should probably just go for it without thinking too much.

5 Likes

I see cat. :eye: :eye:

6 Likes

That cat is great, by the way.

7 Likes

don’t tempt me. :sob:

5 Likes

Alrighty, it’s about time to look at seeing when I need to open voting for the next book. Quick question for you all while I calculate: if we have a week break after 本好き before starting our next book, our next pick would begin on Dec 18. Honestly, I kind of wouldn’t mind waiting until January to start the next book, but that’s just me being busy. So to get to the poll:

When would you like to start our next book?
  • On time on Dec 18
  • Wait until the new year and start on Jan 1
  • Some date in between those two
0 voters

Poll’s multiple choice, so just vote for whatever works best for you!

(Notes to myself)
本好き ends the week of Dec 4…

• So to start on Dec 18, poll opens on Nov 11, closes on Nov 19
  • So to start on Jan 1, poll opens Nov 25, closes on Dec 3
3 Likes

Nominee 11 needs the title adjusted in the table

1 Like

Ah, thanks.

1 Like

22f80207-69e9-4940-b566-317e434a13ca

Book: もしもの世界ルーレット あったら便利? “スペアの体”の使い方 他 | L30??
Is there an ebook available?: Yes
Is there an audiobook available?: No
Is there an all-furigana version available?: Yes
(Optional) Is this book available in Korean?: No

Summary - Japanese

For characters/series introduction, and test read you can visit here (Might contain minor spoilers)

ステキでキケンな夢の世界へご招待! おどろきの裏切り系ストーリー集!

「キミが願ったから、この世界は壊れてしまうよ!」
……なんて言われたら、どうする?
怪しいピエロのぬいぐるみ・ピリカルカにみちびかれ、避難先になる新しい世界を選ぶルーレットを回すことになったサイ。

「スペアの体」があれば、ケガをしてもへっちゃら!
「記憶」が売り買いできればテストは完璧。
みんなが「ルール」を守れば犯罪ゼロも夢じゃない!

ね? どれもなんだかステキな世界に思えるでしょ?
だけど、油断しないで。予想外のワナがかくれているかも!?

【ワクワクして「ゾッ」とする超キケンなストーリー集!】

Summary - English (MTL)

We invite you to a wonderful and dangerous dream world! A collection of surprising betrayal stories!

“Because of your wish, this world will be destroyed!”
What would you do if someone said that?
Guided by the mysterious clown stuffed toy Pirikarka, Sai is forced to spin the roulette wheel to choose a new world to take refuge in.

If you have a “spare body”, you can survive even if you get injured!
If “memory” can be bought and sold, the test will be perfect.
If everyone follows the “rules”, zero crime is not just a dream!

Right? It all seems like a wonderful world, right?
But don’t let your guard down. An unexpected trap may be hidden!

[A collection of super dangerous stories that will leave you excited and “chilled”!]

Probably spooky twists, but nothing too bad

Why are you nominating this book: I really liked the previous author series , and this should be on the same line. Short independent stories, that are only tied together by the main characters short intervention on them.

It’s on my TBR as soon as I finish the last volume of 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ (series) | L23 , but if selected I’d be willing to wait to read with everyone.

For table purposes

Series. On-going. Vol. 1 of ???

4 Likes

I feel like the 18th helps get the ball rolling before the holiday season… But it may be a good idea to consider having a one week break in the schedule between the 25th and january 1st instead?

3 Likes

That’s a good thought as well… :thinking:

3 Likes

5fa56bde-2ab1-4292-bdf6-0f20019630bd

Book: (後宮の烏 | L34)
Is there an ebook available? yes
Is there an audiobook available? no (at least I couldn’t find any)
Is there an all-furigana version available? no (at least I couldn’t find any)
(Optional) Is this book available in Korean? no (at least I couldn’t find any) yes

Summary - Japanese

後宮の奥深くに、妃でありながら夜伽をすることのない、「烏妃」と呼ばれる特別な妃が住んでいる。
その姿を見た者は、老婆であると言う者もいれば、うら若い少女だったと言う者もいた。
彼女は不思議な術を使い、呪殺から失せ物探しまで、頼めばなんでも引き受けてくれるという――。

ある夜、時の皇帝・高峻が、烏妃のもとに訪れる。
拾った翡翠の耳飾りに女の幽霊が取り憑いており、その正体を知りたいと言うのだが……。

少年時代、生母を皇太后に殺され、廃太子となって辛酸を舐めた皇帝、高峻。
神に選ばれし者と言われ、皇帝をして「誰も烏妃には命令できない」と言わしめる存在として生きる寿雪。
二人の巡り合わせは、歴史をも覆す「秘密」を暴くことになる……!

Summary - English

Deep within the palace lives a mysterious woman known only as the Raven Consort. Some say she’s an old woman, others that she’s young and beautiful. But all are agreed on this: her dark arts have the power to exorcise spirits, lay fatal curses, and find what has been lost—for a price. When the young emperor, Koushou, seeks out the Raven Consort to make use of that magic, what follows will overturn the court…and perhaps even the country.

Why are you nominating this book:
It has an anime adaptation, but I’ve only watched a few episodes. So here comes what I’ve merely heard/read about it (I’m not sure whether it is an exact adaptation or they’ve changed the plot) :

Summary

The story is set in a fictional ancient china, the main girl has supernatural powers but due to this supernatural powers she has to remain isolated and live mostly alone. Together with the main guy(the emperor) they use her supernatural abilities to solve the mysteries of the court(mostly related to ghosts).

Now the only reason I want to read it is to check whether the story will subvert some tropes or not :

1. the girl being rescued by the guy. while the emperor wants to save her from her loneliness and it looks like the girl “needs” his help, she has a very bold, brave and strong character.

2. the romance. Even though there are strong hints of romance between the main characters, apparently none of them seem to consider this as a priority and they behave like friends.

This is my first time nominating in Natively, so please let me know if I should fix or remove my post. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes