ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next Book Apr 1

That cat is great, by the way.

7 Likes

don’t tempt me. :sob:

5 Likes

Alrighty, it’s about time to look at seeing when I need to open voting for the next book. Quick question for you all while I calculate: if we have a week break after 本好き before starting our next book, our next pick would begin on Dec 18. Honestly, I kind of wouldn’t mind waiting until January to start the next book, but that’s just me being busy. So to get to the poll:

When would you like to start our next book?
  • On time on Dec 18
  • Wait until the new year and start on Jan 1
  • Some date in between those two
0 voters

Poll’s multiple choice, so just vote for whatever works best for you!

(Notes to myself)
本好き ends the week of Dec 4…

• So to start on Dec 18, poll opens on Nov 11, closes on Nov 19
  • So to start on Jan 1, poll opens Nov 25, closes on Dec 3
3 Likes

Nominee 11 needs the title adjusted in the table

1 Like

Ah, thanks.

1 Like

22f80207-69e9-4940-b566-317e434a13ca

Book: もしもの世界ルーレット あったら便利? “スペアの体”の使い方 他 | L30??
Is there an ebook available?: Yes
Is there an audiobook available?: No
Is there an all-furigana version available?: Yes
(Optional) Is this book available in Korean?: No

Summary - Japanese

For characters/series introduction, and test read you can visit here (Might contain minor spoilers)

ステキでキケンな夢の世界へご招待! おどろきの裏切り系ストーリー集!

「キミが願ったから、この世界は壊れてしまうよ!」
……なんて言われたら、どうする?
怪しいピエロのぬいぐるみ・ピリカルカにみちびかれ、避難先になる新しい世界を選ぶルーレットを回すことになったサイ。

「スペアの体」があれば、ケガをしてもへっちゃら!
「記憶」が売り買いできればテストは完璧。
みんなが「ルール」を守れば犯罪ゼロも夢じゃない!

ね? どれもなんだかステキな世界に思えるでしょ?
だけど、油断しないで。予想外のワナがかくれているかも!?

【ワクワクして「ゾッ」とする超キケンなストーリー集!】

Summary - English (MTL)

We invite you to a wonderful and dangerous dream world! A collection of surprising betrayal stories!

“Because of your wish, this world will be destroyed!”
What would you do if someone said that?
Guided by the mysterious clown stuffed toy Pirikarka, Sai is forced to spin the roulette wheel to choose a new world to take refuge in.

If you have a “spare body”, you can survive even if you get injured!
If “memory” can be bought and sold, the test will be perfect.
If everyone follows the “rules”, zero crime is not just a dream!

Right? It all seems like a wonderful world, right?
But don’t let your guard down. An unexpected trap may be hidden!

[A collection of super dangerous stories that will leave you excited and “chilled”!]

Content warnings if known

Probably spooky twists, but nothing too bad

Why are you nominating this book: I really liked the previous author series , and this should be on the same line. Short independent stories, that are only tied together by the main characters short intervention on them.

It’s on my TBR as soon as I finish the last volume of 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ (series) | L23 , but if selected I’d be willing to wait to read with everyone.

For table purposes

Series. On-going. Vol. 1 of ???

4 Likes

I feel like the 18th helps get the ball rolling before the holiday season… But it may be a good idea to consider having a one week break in the schedule between the 25th and january 1st instead?

3 Likes

That’s a good thought as well… :thinking:

3 Likes

5fa56bde-2ab1-4292-bdf6-0f20019630bd

Book: (後宮の烏 | L34)
Is there an ebook available? yes
Is there an audiobook available? no (at least I couldn’t find any)
Is there an all-furigana version available? no (at least I couldn’t find any)
(Optional) Is this book available in Korean? no (at least I couldn’t find any) yes

Summary - Japanese

後宮の奥深くに、妃でありながら夜伽をすることのない、「烏妃」と呼ばれる特別な妃が住んでいる。
その姿を見た者は、老婆であると言う者もいれば、うら若い少女だったと言う者もいた。
彼女は不思議な術を使い、呪殺から失せ物探しまで、頼めばなんでも引き受けてくれるという――。

ある夜、時の皇帝・高峻が、烏妃のもとに訪れる。
拾った翡翠の耳飾りに女の幽霊が取り憑いており、その正体を知りたいと言うのだが……。

少年時代、生母を皇太后に殺され、廃太子となって辛酸を舐めた皇帝、高峻。
神に選ばれし者と言われ、皇帝をして「誰も烏妃には命令できない」と言わしめる存在として生きる寿雪。
二人の巡り合わせは、歴史をも覆す「秘密」を暴くことになる……!

Summary - English

Deep within the palace lives a mysterious woman known only as the Raven Consort. Some say she’s an old woman, others that she’s young and beautiful. But all are agreed on this: her dark arts have the power to exorcise spirits, lay fatal curses, and find what has been lost—for a price. When the young emperor, Koushou, seeks out the Raven Consort to make use of that magic, what follows will overturn the court…and perhaps even the country.

Why are you nominating this book:
It has an anime adaptation, but I’ve only watched a few episodes. So here comes what I’ve merely heard/read about it (I’m not sure whether it is an exact adaptation or they’ve changed the plot) :

Summary

The story is set in a fictional ancient china, the main girl has supernatural powers but due to this supernatural powers she has to remain isolated and live mostly alone. Together with the main guy(the emperor) they use her supernatural abilities to solve the mysteries of the court(mostly related to ghosts).

Now the only reason I want to read it is to check whether the story will subvert some tropes or not :

1. the girl being rescued by the guy. while the emperor wants to save her from her loneliness and it looks like the girl “needs” his help, she has a very bold, brave and strong character.

2. the romance. Even though there are strong hints of romance between the main characters, apparently none of them seem to consider this as a priority and they behave like friends.

This is my first time nominating in Natively, so please let me know if I should fix or remove my post. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Book: キノの旅 1 | L29
Is there an ebook available?: yes
Is there an audiobook available?: no(?)
Is there an all-furigana version available?: yes (but according to the natively page it drops a chapter)
(Optional) Is this book available in Korean?: according to wikipedia, yes (but not sure of the logistics)

Summary - Japanese

世界は美しくなんかない。

「キノはどうして旅を続けているの?」 「ボクはね、たまに自分がどうしようもない、愚かで矮小な奴ではないか? ものすごく汚い人間ではないか? なぜだかよく分からないけど、そう感じる時があるんだ……でもそんな時は必ず、それ以外のもの、例えば世界とか、他の人間の生き方とかが、全て美しく、素敵なものの様に感じるんだ。とても、愛しく思えるんだよ……。ボクは、それらをもっともっと知りたくて、そのために旅をしている様な気がする」 ―――短編連作の形で綴られる人間キノと言葉を話す二輪車エルメスの旅の話。今までにない新感覚ノベルが登場!

Summary - English

Wikipedia:
The protagonist, Kino, accompanied by a talking named Hermes, travels through a mystical world of many different countries and forests, each unique in its customs and people. She only spends three days and two nights in every town, without exception, on the principle that three days is enough time to learn almost everything important about a place, while leaving time to explore new lands.

Anilist:
Destination is a state of mind. A tale of one girl and her bike and the road ahead. Kino wanders around the world on the back of Hermes, her unusual, anthropomorphic motorcycle, only staying in each country for three days. During their adventures, they find happiness, sadness, pain, decadence, violence, beauty, and wisdom. But through it all, they never lose their sense of freedom. They discover that because of the world’s imperfections, it is actually a thing of beauty. “The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.”

No idea. Happy to update if anyone knows of any.

Why are you nominating this book: I bought this ages ago from a recommendation as “your first book in Japanese”, which I know at this point is hilariously bad advice. I’d personally like to read it since it’s the Japanese ebook I’ve owned the longest so it feels fitting somehow, but for everyone else, I think the premise sounds interesting (who doesn’t love a travel story? :slightly_smiling_face: ) and it’s generally well reviewed.

edit: The special link isn’t working for me… I edited it in markdown myself so apologies if it’s weird

5 Likes

Book: おまえをオタクにしてやるから、俺をリア充にしてくれ! | L26
Is there an audiobook available?: no
Is there an all-furigana version available?: no
(Optional) Is this book available in Korean?: yes

Summary - Japanese

高校からは隠れオタクになることを決めた俺だが、入学早々、学校一の美少女でギャルの恋ヶ崎桃にオタクだということがバレる! 戸惑う俺に彼女は驚愕の相談をしてきた。「あたしをオタクにしなさいよ!」と。

Summary - English

Traumatized by events from his past, Naoki Kashiwada intends to make his high school debut by hiding the fact that he is an otaku, transitioning into a regular student. Naoki quickly develops feelings for the quiet and popular Midori Hasegawa, which helps motivate him to reach his goal. At the same time, Momo Koigasaki, a cute but seemingly promiscuous girl, secretly wants to learn about anime and visual novels to find common ground with her crush, Souta Suzuki. However, things don’t go as expected when a mix-up reveals Naoki’s and Momo’s secrets to each other!

Forming an unlikely alliance, the two reach an agreement: Momo will help Naoki socialize normally if he helps her understand otaku culture in return. Two people with clashing lifestyles must now work together to alter their identities, while somehow keeping their secrets hidden from the rest of the world.

None that I know of.
It feels like the genre is pretty ripe for misogynist tropes, but I have no actual knowledge of anything.

Why are you nominating this book: Another one that’s been on my to read list for a while. Being a big ole otaku myself, I think the premise sounds amusing, and I’ve seen it recommended a few times so it’s probably decent. It’s also on the less difficult side for light novels, so we may be able to pick up some people who are just breaking into light novel reading.

4 Likes

I believe it replaces a chapter. If I remember correctly, it replaces a particularly long and violent chapter with an original chapter just for that version. (It has been *goes to check* 4.5 years since I read it, so my memory is a bit hazy.)

4 Likes

Please remember to vote in the “when do we read next” poll, everyone!

6 Likes

(Taking the last nom slot here. Sill need to add @shitsurei’s to the table.)

裏世界ピクニック

Book: 裏世界ピクニック 1 ふたりの怪異探検ファイル | L33
Is there an audiobook available?: yes
Is there an all-furigana version available?: no
(Optional) Is this book available in Korean?: yes

Summary - Japanese

仁科鳥子と出逢ったのは〈裏側〉で“あれ”を目にして死にかけていたときだった――その日を境に、くたびれた女子大生・紙越空魚の人生は一変する。「くねくね」や「八尺様」など実話怪談として語られる危険な存在が出現する、この現実と隣合わせで謎だらけの裏世界。研究とお金稼ぎ、そして大切な人を探すため、鳥子と空魚は非日常へと足を踏み入れる――気鋭のエンタメSF作家が贈る、女子ふたり怪異探検サバイバル!

Summary - English

(DeepL) It was when she was dying after seeing “that thing” in the “back side” that she met Toriko Nishina - that day, the life of a weary college girl, Sorago Kamikoshi, changed completely. The dangerous existence of “wiggle” and “Hakushaku-sama”, which are told as true ghost stories, appear in this mysterious underworld, which is full of mysteries next to reality. In order to research, earn money, and find their loved ones, Toriko and Sorayoi step into an extraordinary world…a survival story of two girls exploring the mysterious, presented by an up-and-coming author of entertaining science fiction!

None known.

Why are you nominating this book: I’ve heard this recommended time and time again as a good (slow) yuri sci-fi/horror series, so I’m pretty interested in trying it.

5 Likes

There is one! I’ve added a Natively page here.

1 Like

Aaaand we’re back to the scrolling table. :cold_sweat: I’ve added preliminary language info for the current nominations; please let me know if a previous nomination is available in Korean, and I’ll add it to the table. :slight_smile:

Edit: Added 이 멋진 세계에 축복을! 1 | L30 since I figured there was a pretty high chance that was translated. Man, Yes24’s auto-generated “series” are awful; I don’t envy the person who has to go back into Natively and fix that…

Edit 2: And one final note: we will of course still accept new nominations; please just be aware that they won’t be in the next poll until space frees up (from books getting picked/cut).

4 Likes

Some more Korean versions, with nomination numbers:

2 - 환수조사원 1 - 예스24
3 - 청춘 돼지는 바니걸 선배의 꿈을 꾸지 않는다 - 예스24
5 - 하카타 돈코츠 라멘즈 - 예스24
6 - 수염을 깎다. 그리고 여고생을 줍다. 1 - 예스24
7 - NHK에 어서 오세요 - 예스24
8 - 86 에이티식스 1 - 예스24
10 - 미소년 탐정단 - 예스24
15 - [중고샵] 백작과 요정 1-15/메이퀸 노벨 - 예스24 (discontinued/out of print)
17 - 후궁의 까마귀 1 - 예스24

(Haven’t added any of these to Natively.)

6 Likes

Thank yooouuu bibliothecary~ :heart:

2 Likes

Some content warnings without spoilers:

Dark subject matter at times, some topics are raised that may be triggers and expect some very descriptive scenes.

I’m not sure how else to put it without spoiling parts :sweat_smile:

Personally, I liked it (the parts I could understand) and I’ll read it and the rest of the series.

5 Likes

I voted but since I’ve not been too active in this one (still listening but reading fell way behind) not sure if my vote should count :joy::sweat_smile:

2 Likes