Lists discussion

I can’t say I care much about Steve Jobs, but I wishlisted the other series. Thanks!

(I forgot to say so, but I did the same with the recs of @cat, thank you too!)

6 Likes

I nice list I’d like to see but lack the qualifications to put together would be one pointing out useful resources to learn pre-WWII and/or classical Japanese, both textbooks and books. Dunno who dabbles in that on the forum; @pm215?

8 Likes

Ngl, I was expecting @omk3 to make a hole list. But so far water and nature only. :eyes:

7 Likes

Maybe Adult Audience Manga?

Hmm, maybe Wotakoi and anything by Yoneda Kou? I could make more recommendations, but I think they’d mostly be BL. Although maybe Mushishi also fits the bill? And スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり ? Possibly 異世界おじさん if more comedic stuff is fine.

2 Likes

Ahhh, I saw that one for sale at a 2nd hand place. You’re making me regret not grabbing it lol

3 Likes

whenever adult or mature is a audience recommendation, I assume it’s gorey or lewd, i.e. R18 or NC17 or whatever the rating is. But that might be a non-native issue. :melting_face:

Edit: I don’t have this issue if something says “aimed at adults”, for some reason. :melting_face:

Edit 2: For grown-ups is fine, too, btw. It sounds a bit funny but to me it just reads as “content that is not aimed at kids”

7 Likes

Hmm no, I think it’s a bit vague / context dependent even for native speakers. ‘Adult Audience Manga’ to me, at first glance, I would assume sexual and potentially violent themes but not smut? And ‘aimed at adults’ I would take as meaning just ‘not aimed at children’. :person_shrugging: It’s a good thing there are descriptions for the lists :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I’m keeping holes a secret for now :grin:

7 Likes

We need to hack into the account to find the 穴 treasure

6 Likes

Nooooo, don’t reveal all my secrets! :scream_cat:

Okay, okay, I’ll make it public. As if you all care about holes :expressionless:

Edit: Happy now?

I’ll be the crazy person with all the random lists. :crazy_face:

13 Likes

The sky is the limit for weirdly specific lists.

They could get as specific as “Books with 342 pages” :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Yes, please bring on more weird lists, everyone!

By the way, a list that I might be interested in (but I don’t think I can make myself, at least yet), is a list of books taking place in each of the 47 prefectures. I’m realizing that I’m awful at Japanese geography, and what more inefficient way to learn about it than to read 300 pages of something random happening in each place, right? :smiley:

8 Likes

How about a weather forecast of Japan? It seems to fit the bil :rofl:

1 Like

One novel for each prefecture. The novel being about something unrelated, like a murder (or a hole, you know). I did say I want an inefficient way, didn’t I? :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Someone had to do it :rofl:

3 Likes

@Biblio

I assume you haven’t listened to 転生したらスライムだった件 for your Audiobook lists or you just didn’t enjoy them at all to include it?

There is a mystery writer or two who specialize in {place} 殺人事件 so it probably wouldn’t be too hard to make

6 Likes

That might be more formulaic than I’d like though? I’d be interested in a variety of interesting novels of various genres that just so happen to take place in a specific prefecture. Such a list would probably form naturally as I read more, as long as I can remember the places (which I mostly tended to ignore up to now).

1 Like

Anyone know enough series/books to make some dialect lists? I seem to remember someone on wk a while back asking for good books with 福井弁, and I think there was a similar intro to 関西弁 discussion in the BBC before one of the recent books.

6 Likes

This would also be a very interesting list. Trouble is, I rarely know exactly what dialect I’m reading even when I realize it’s dialect :sweat_smile:
And I definitely haven’t read enough books for that. It would be a very interesting collaborative project though.

3 Likes