Manually specify favorite books and series

Ah, my mistake; my concern still stands, though.

Personally I think I’d prefer either a pre-defined sort or both pre-defined and manual. That’s completely due to my own selfish concerns, though; I feel like I’d have to pick favorite children if I had to order manually, haha. Not a big deal though, in the grand scheme of things. I’m pretty happy with whatever here.

Makes complete sense. :+1:

4 Likes

Is the plan to pre-seed peoples’ favourites with their current 5-starred set, or to start everybody off with nothing marked favourite and people can then add what they like? (I have no real preference either way.)

7 Likes

I’d definitely prefer clean slate, since I 5 star probably 2/3rds or more of my items, and some of those may be excellent for what they are, but not necessarily favorites

11 Likes

Same, I’d prefer a clean slate. I tend to give kids stories 5 stars very easily but I am not in fact enamored with a fox that owned a pair of gloves.

11 Likes

I’d also prefer a clean slate. Most of the series I give a lot of 5 stars to I plan to favorite the series and not the individual volumes.

11 Likes

I’d prefer clear too. Though at some point I stopped giving 5 starts from stopping everything to be marked as favourite, so it’s not extremely a big deal to me, but I can see how a big library could be troublesome.

11 Likes

Clean slate it is! That was my inclination too :slight_smile:

It’ll be a little sad to have no section for users who haven’t favorited anything, but I think this is most intuitive. I could keep the sections as is until you favorite anything… but I think that’s needlessly complicated.

In order to encourage favoriting, I’ll show an empty favorites section on your profile prompting you to favorite things if you haven’t yet. Won’t appear if it’s another persons profile.

13 Likes

I’m for clean slate too, and this makes sense to me, but does it mean you’ll have all possible categories appearing as empty? If for example there’s a Favourite Textbook category, I’d be unlikely to be able to add anything to it.

7 Likes

Nah - it’ll just be an empty books section with a link & callout to your library to go add some favorites :slight_smile:

Once you’ve favorited something, then I know that you know the feature exists and how to use it… that’s all I want.

Edit: Is it just my imagination, or are there more hearts being given on this thread than usual? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Feature implementation hypetrain.

10 Likes

we are training clicking hearts for the new feature. :wink:

13 Likes

For a while there me, cat, seanblue, and megumin had a row of 9 hearts going on our “I’d prefer a clean slate” comments, but now it’s a split 10/10/9/9… It was cute, I should have taken a pic

4 Likes

I made them all 10… quick take a pic!

4 Likes

10 :heart: for you then :slight_smile:

Edit: sry for the awkward cropping… Discourse shows the preview without the bottom portion, but then displays the bottom portion anyway :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Psst - Favorites is now active! It’s not fully done yet, but I was at a point where I could do an incremental launch.

Things Left To Do:

1. Allow you to change ordering on your profile overview page

2. Allow filtering by favorites in library

3. Add prompt to add favorites on overview page if you have none

4. If series is favorited, sub items should look favorited with a hover/click popup saying series is favorited

5. If sub item is favorited and then series is favorited, favorite series and remove sub item favorite from database (the display will show it as favorited as bullet #4 describes)

Beyond that, this should be done. Let me know initial thoughts / issues as you encounter them. Will do a formal announcement when we’re complete (should be tomorrow morning? Late tonight?)

Edit: Added item #3
Edit: Added item #4 & 5

12 Likes

download
:cry:

eta: only for series, I can add individual volumes just fine

2 Likes

Oh no! can i get a bit more info on that? Was that a book series?

1 Like

Yeah, just series.

2 Likes

Thanks, looks good so far!

I’m finding out it’s really hard to pick favourites :joy:

Will we be able to remove favourites directly from our profile page when ordering is implemented?

2 Likes

I guess this also is still on the todo list for the feature, or did you decide against it in the end?

3 Likes