More flexible filtering in browse & my books

Description of your request or bug report:

Sometimes you can only search for certain things in browse or my books, when it seems more reasonable that you should be able to search using either of them.

There are also some filters that include certain items, but cannot exclude them.

Examples:

• In browse, I use several filters to look for a specific type of book. I then want to see which of these are in my library, but I can’t - I can only exclude my personal library. So I have to go to my books and apply all the same filters.
  • I want to browse titles to suggest for a book club, but I’m unable to exclude those that have already been read in a Natively book club.
  • I’ve read some books that have won a certain prize and realised that they’re not my cup of tea, but I can’t exclude them while browsing.
  • I want to browse the unread books in my library by level, but they are separated into different shelves (Reading: low to high, Finished: low to high, etc) in ‘All’ (and I get a lot of things I’m not interested in), or I have to look at the owned/wish list separately, when the important thing for me is the item level, not the purchase status.

Suggestions:

• All filters should be available in both browse and my personal library
  • All filters able to include and exclude
  • Able to separately browse/filter started (reading, stopped, finished) and unstarted (owned, wish list)
  • (alternative) Able to select several status filters without the books being separated in the results

Trello link:

Yes, this would be nice – I’ve run into the “why won’t it let me search this way” problem before. Existing feature request asking for a specific thing that this request asks for in a more generalised way: Allow searching your library with filter to specific levels – you can’t currently search for both “in my library” and “only books of this level”, only one or the other.

4 Likes

IIRC Brandon has said he’ll tag the formal (ie multi thread and scheduled) books, and informal will generally not get tagged, so I’m not sure this filter would work too well for this purpose even if implemented.

2 Likes