Physical Books or E-Reader?

Is it possible to give a setting to disable the dictionary animation?
I find it a bit clunky.

Also this might be harder, but I’d like the ability to jump from word to word instead of closing and opening.

(Also maybe the app needs it’s own thread)

It’s possible.

Even if was possible, it would make it hard to close the dialog. You would always have to look for empty space on the screen, the only consistent one being the top space, but then you would be invoking the top settings bar. I know this is the default behavior on jidoujisho, but I don’t think it has a solution to this problem.

Regarding a new thread, I’ll leave that up to @brandon
I shared this initially as an appropriate response here, but starting a new thread here might fall under self-promotion.

1 Like

Maybe the disabling the animation will smooth it enough. The thing is if you use the finger to select, sometimes the wrong thing gets selected. That means open animation - wrong word - close animation - open animation - new word, it’s not very smooth operation wise.

For closing you could do a slide down gesture, but I’m guessing that might not be very intuitive, so I understand the mechanic of not having to look for a white space.

Here is a quick demo without the animation

I suppose this is fast enough for most purposes. Also, if you happen to hit a character in the same line, you can use the tabs on top to switch to another character.

1 Like

If you want to open a self-promotion thread / thread on your product @Yui you have my approval, it’s a great site :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!

The thread has been created here.

2 Likes

I prefer physical books in general because I love the feeling of turning paper pages. However, when it involves language learning, I’ve grown to prefer using my Kindle Paperwhite.

Screen display

I tried to use my iPad or a Kindle fire for ebooks, but the screens’ lights feel to harsh for me, even when using dark mode. (I do sometimes use my Kindle fire for reading ebooks in English). When reading a physical book, I have to either sit in a place where the light hits the pages in the right direction instead of casting a shadow, or place a lamplight directly above me. This doesn’t always work out when I want to lay back on my sofa and read. With the Kindle, I can essentially read anywhere regardless of the amount of light.

Looking up definitions

I found it takes less time for me to complete a novel using my Kindle because I don’t have to open up my phone’s dictionary app to search for a word. Even though there is a bit of a lag when highlighting words and looking up their definition in the Kindle interface, it still takes me less time than looking up on my phone.

Convenience
My Kindle fits in the front pocket of my small crossbody purse because of its slim size. Even the small paperback books I have won’t fit in it. (When I do read a physical book, I carry it in my backpack). And because the Kindle itself can hold many more digital books, I have more options to read in one device vs one physical book.

Perhaps as I learn more vocabulary and kanji, I will reach a point where I can read more physical books. I still buy them :smiley: If I’m sitting down at a desk/coffee shop table, I do try to make an effort to read physical books.

6 Likes

Sorry to revive an old thread but I only ever buy physical copies of books. The only times I read digitally is if I can get the book for free like Aozora or something similar. Maybe it’s an old fashioned way of thonking of things but I just don’t see the point in paying for digital books. I like being free to carry them around where I can’t have devices, write on them, gift them freely, etc. Also, the feeling of buying a bunch of new books and flipping through them is unmatched. I’m not happy about the idea that companies can take away all your books if they’re digital as well.

8 Likes

There are ways around this :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve heard about that, but aren’t a lot of companies cracking down on that anyways? It seems like such a headache compared to actually owning a physical object that is all yours.

Some are, some aren’t. And their lock downs tend to eventually get cracked if it’s there’s a large enough interest.

Physical objects are nice, but they can be inconvenient in their own ways. I live in a small apartment and move every few years - I have to be very picky about what physical books I keep and every new one I bring home I have to consider if I have space for it.

I still own too many books, physical and digital :joy:

10 Likes

I can give you multiple :slight_smile:

• space & weight (if you are travelling or planning to move, this quickly becomes an issue)
  • price (just like my own country, japan has fixed book prices, however kindle unlimited, bookwalker coins, … exist and circumvent that)
  • ease of looking things up (within a split second)
  • ease of taking notes/saving things for later/adding to anki (it takes me about 1 second to add a word with it’s definition/translation and the sentence I encountered it in to my anki deck, if I so wish)

I do like physical books and I still buy them when I am in Japan and have access to used books but everything else is ebooks (and audiobooks).

I think my appreciation of e-documents started when I was at university (before ebooks where even a thing, but e-journals already existed) and I fell in love with the ease of searching and accessing journals online and saving screenshots of relevant passages, etc. vs. looking through tons of physical publications for those 2 lines of relevant information, then copying those pages (which cost money), so you could reference it later etc. And if you are a nightowl, too bad, because the library is closed.

Even with German or English, I rarely ever buy a physical book nowadays. Most of my reading comes from the digital offerings of my libraries. It has saved me so much money and space - and time. :face_holding_back_tears:

9 Likes

I pretty much only read physical books, mostly because I don’t feel like breaking four decade old habits :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yeah, I suppose physical space could become an issue. I guess I’m pretty privileged in that regard, as I’ve never really had to consider it when book shopping. I don’t really agree on your other points though, I’m fine with paying more for a physical printed book and I just don’t really get the fascination with ebooks. Also, I feel like printed books are better for note taking because you can write on/highlight them easily, but I don’t Anki or anything so I don’t know what that’s like.

4 Likes

I bought used copies and new copies of some series where I intended to do that, but I still cringed writing on the book itself, so in the end I moved to digital note taking.

8 Likes

Throwing my hat into the ring.

I prefer digital books, both in English and Japanese for their ease of access. If I have my phone (and I always have my phone) I have my books.

I think I enjoy the experience of reading a physical book more, but only slightly. There are also a number of studies that show that there’s better comprehension and retention on physical media (although I wonder if that will continue to be true for Gen Z and Alpha, a lot of whom will be electronic-first readers). That said, to me the best way to read is the way that gets you to read the most, and that for me is digitally. I literally have an IKEA Billy bookcase full of Japanese books and I’ve read maybe 1/10 of them. Outside of free manga volumes I got from online stores I’ve read (or at least tried and determined it was too hard or too boring) all of my digital books.

12 Likes

I prefer physical for manga because the image quality on digital is still hit or miss, depending on the publisher. That said, I still buy a lot of manga digitally due to discounts and other factors. For actual novels I exclusively read ebooks for convenience. I switched to that several years ago and don’t expect to switch back to physical any time soon.

12 Likes

I read almost exclusively on my phone Fire tablet. Bookwalker for novels, Kindle for manga. I’d like to own more physical books, but they’re more expensive (shipping) and take longer to get. Additionally it’s harder to do lookups (more of an issue with novels than manga). Tablet is easier for me to focus on, and I prefer the white background.

For magazines I’d get physical, if they have some sort of bonus (I haven’t gotten any yet).

I’ll use a physical book if it’s something that doesn’t require a lot of lookups, or I’m reading along to the audiobook. There’s something nice about not staring at a screen. I hope one day I’ll have enough vocab that I’ll be able to read physical media comfortably

2 Likes

For the beginning I prefer physical books as I like to get having a collection with good books that I can look at. And surely I will purchase some in the future that I regard worth having in physical shape.

I have to admit I’m not used to read with my kindle reader in Japanese yet and my translators don’t even seem to work properly that’s why I don’t begin getting e-books I guess. And I also dont necessarily want to purchase via Amazon.Jp which makes it hard to get some. But in the end I would like to read via e-reader if possible.
I imagine it a smart way of reading especially if there are unknown kanjis of which there are a lot.

2 Likes

Once you are used to yomichan, it’s hard to go back. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes