[Poll] Korean Book Clubs

Cool, thanks for checking! Right now the thought of having to try to verify ID is a little intimidating, but maybe in the future when my skills are higher.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!
I know we have the book club for 책벌레의 하극상 going on, but I am interested in starting another book club for Korean for intermediate and advanced learners that would kick off in mid October or in November. However, I don’t know what genre most people here would be interested in (or if there is a big appetite for another book club at all), so I’ve made a poll!

If you would be interested, feel free to vote on the poll below and I can look at setting up an organizational thread and getting things started. :blush:

• General adult fiction
  • Young adult fiction
  • Non-fiction
  • Mystery/Thriller
  • Other
0 voters
4 Likes

FYI @bungakushoujo polls are usually best done if you enable the ‘show voters’ option hidden under the gear icon when creating a poll.

Idk why Discourse doesn’t allow that to be enabled by default, gah.

Anyway, I will attempt to read whatever genre you choose, but I voted purely with my heart :man_detective:

I have found the book club very motivating, so I heartily approve this endeavor!

4 Likes

Oh dear, thanks! I’m still a bit of a newbie and I’m not sure how to go back and edit it in! At least we can still see the overall results. :sweat_smile:

We would love to have you! :blush:

3 Likes

I don’t think you can change polls once they’ve started, you can only close/delete… :face_exhaling:

Anyway, I’ve added a link to the poll in the first post. :smiley:

3 Likes

I appreciate that! :blush:

Let’s see what results come back over the next week and then organization can begin!

2 Likes

You can within five minutes of the poll’s creation, which granted still isn’t a whole lot of time. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Looks like we have a three way tie for general adult fiction, young adult fiction and mystery/thriller….:eyes: any other voters out there?

2 Likes

It’s not looking like we are going to get any more tie-breaking votes, so how do people feel about a general fiction/novel reading book club where broad suggestions from different genres are accepted as long as they’re still fiction and full length books? @brandon @bibliothecary

4 Likes

Sounds good to me! :smiley:

1 Like

Works for me too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great! We had one more voter (maybe it was you, @pieonakr?) but I’m not sure who since I set up the poll incorrectly! :woman_facepalming:t2: I’ll look at getting a home thread set up before the weekend so we can get started and make suggestions for the first book!

2 Likes

Hi! Would anyone be interested in a book club with a beginner to intermediate book? I enjoy book clubs as I find them really motivating, but there is only so much I can stretch my reading level as an A2/B1 reader. And as the two Korean book clubs right now are both focused on lvl 30 books, that’s too high for me to even consider trying to read.

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
0 voters
2 Likes

I would be really happy to join and read along if that club existed. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the reason why the books for the existing clubs are level 30 is because all new Korean books added default to level 30 until they get some gradings, since Korean is still in beta mode (I could be wrong about that though). So, they may not necessarily be level 30 but we won’t know yet until they get graded. :thinking:

5 Likes

Do you have a specific book in mind? :slightly_smiling_face:

The book we’re about to start, Home Thread for 소리를 보는 소년 👁👂 Korean Fiction Book Club 🇰🇷 Starting Nov 13, is probably around the early 20s I’d say (it has a temporary rating because it hasn’t been graded yet). I’m reading a bit ahead so I can fill out the reference sheet with vocabulary and grammar (link in thread), and there are others willing to help if you have questions. :smile:

I wouldn’t mind reading along with something easier at the same time if you already have a book in mind, though. :+1:

4 Likes

Oh right, I hadn’t thought about that. I might try to join you then, but I’ll see if I have enough time. From what I can tell though it does seem like there’s a lot of vocab I don’t know in that book, and not just the vocab in @bibliothecary 's Google doc.
I’m already reading 춘향전 right now as well, which is also above my level, so reading two books that are too advanced for me at the same time might not be a good idea.

4 Likes

I like the 다락원 series, so I’d be interested in reading their B1 book, 흥부전. But I’m really open to anything, so feel free to share any of your ideas as well.

4 Likes

Oh, I have that book and I haven’t read it yet, so I’d be up for joining! :smile:

4 Likes

I’d be happy to read along with that too. If you wanted, you could set up an “informal” book club for that one if you don’t want to set up the intermediate/beginner book club right away. There are some informal clubs on the Japanese forum and usually everyone just reads at their own pace without scheduling and posts their thoughts with spoiler tags. :slightly_smiling_face: That way you can get some reading buddies for that!

5 Likes

I just made a thread for 흥부전 here.

3 Likes