Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Minor Natively milestone for me: 2000+ gradings!
I was thinking to stop grading at exactly 2000 for the screenshot, then immediately forgot.

Only 158 books added? Those be rookie numbers. I need to start focusing on reading stuff so weird no one has ever heard of it.

Anyway, one could say I like this site.

18 Likes

What was the 1 video you added, out of curiosity?

2 Likes

I’m at 124 but have only read 156, so my tastes must be weird :joy: It’s probably mostly the Aozora stuff, I don’t think I even technically got ‘credit’ for the spreadsheet of Aozora stories I requested brandon to add pre-emptively for me.

Congratulations though! Quite the milestone!

6 Likes

1070 books read! :exploding_head:
Teach me your secrets, senpai :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

I honestly have no clue. I don’t even know how to check :sweat_smile:

Actually, I noticed that series also count as a single book, no matter how many books there are in there. :melting_face: I need to focus on one-shots then.

Have virtually no hobby besides reading. Do that for 10+ years (the first manga I read in Japanese was back in 2009… so close to 15 years ago now :sweat_smile:)

Speaking of manga, they do account for most of my books, too. In fact, they account for nearly two thirds of the total…

8 Likes

I’m at 114 books added, but I bet a bunch of those of obscure Manga Time Kirara series that no one else would read.

Also, does anyone know if this is individual books or series? Sometimes I will do the “add more volumes” button and I wonder if that adds to the total.

Until Allow users to see which books they have contributed (and show/hide on public profile) is done I don’t think there’s a way.

5 Likes

Catching up on all the threads that I lurk in and I can’t just let this go. It absolutely blows my mind that people think that novels are easier than manga. I will give you that the handwritten text can be hard to read, but it’s usually just a side comment or small joke and rarely consequential to the story.

Now, admittedly I probably read 200-300 volumes of manga before I ever read a novel in Japanese, so that may be part of my problem. But still. :joy:

7 Likes

It has to be series. I added something like 85 books + series back in the early days of the website, including one that has 52 volumes (ハヤテのごとく! (series) | L27) and one that has 32 volumes (伯爵と妖精 (series) | L30). That’s more than half my total already with just those two.
I don’t know if adding more volume counts, though.

5 Likes

It does not, at least when you add the intended way with the “Add more volumes” button.

5 Likes

Apparently I have added almost the same amount of books as I have marked read. :rofl: So close to 200. :eyes:

I have a definitive sweet-spot level-wise and an affinity for children’s lit. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

L20-33 is quite a wide sweet spot :stuck_out_tongue:

(I have basically the same, but 27-33 is almost 50%)

5 Likes

Yes your understanding of the behavior is accurate. Is that not the case?

yeah that’ll happen, not sure i’ll fix tbh.

Shouldn’t really be an issue as you’re either viewing your dashboard in korean or japanese, and the other language category won’t be included.

Actually, all ‘requests’ are counted. So ‘add more volume requests’ and new book requests are counted as one each.

@seanblue @mic noted on those stats label things

And really amazing milestones @Naphthalene and everyone!!! You’ve all contributed to making an amazing resource :smiling_face:

6 Likes

The children’s lit has a lot of L26, that skews the stats. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Then I have found a few instances where they were not added to my counter for some reason. Probably a bug or something.

6 Likes

The last two novels I finished, it went through a few manga first before it finally gave me other novels, despite me having several novels finished within range of them. Want me to log a bug?

3 Likes

Yeah, if you could do a bug and lay out the specific items that you expected to be prompted to compare but were not, that’d be great!!

1 Like

I wanted to throw this one out there, how do people feel about being able to rate reviews? I often find some book reviews are more helpful than others. Could just be a flat x people found this helpful like on Amazon or maybe something where you could add stickers/reactions like ‘Good plot summary’, ‘Helpful at determining language level’ etc.

6 Likes

Yeah I think a simply heart mechanism to show you liked a review would be really nice. Definitely will do at some point, probably next year.

My suspicion is that the stickers & reactions might come later, but interesting idea too.

10 Likes

Rather than rating, I’ve thought it might be cool to have feedback or replies. For example, if I wrote about New Game that I thought Yun’s Kansai accent was on the lighter side, but @seanblue pointed out that actually Yun’s Kansai-ben has xyz features, making it not so light - that might be useful to know. (just an example from a previous forum discussion). Anyway I’m a bit skeptical of that idea bc it’s hard to ensure people stay constructive, and people might not want that feedback or discussion in the first place (and there’s before getting into UI/UX considerations).

What do you see as the benefit of rating reviews exactly?

Would it be possible to do this without displaying it to other users? Meaning the author sees “so and so liked your review”, but other viewers just see the review itself.

Tbh while I think I get/appreciate the intent, having visible likes/hearts on reviews makes me pretty uncomfortable, and I don’t really see what benefit they would add.

4 Likes

I see it as a “this review was helpful” kinda thing that amazon (I think) also does.

5 Likes