Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

You will notice that libraries and search may not have all items appearing for a few minutes. I’m doing a little infrastructure overhaul, will let you know when done!

Edit: All the less popular books are still getting populated, but everything else (libraries/videos) should all be working like normal :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@brandon so is the standard in Natively going forward to have spaces in author’s names? Just want to check before I send in a whole bunch of feedback.

2 Likes

Yes :slight_smile: . It allows us more flexibility when it comes to search.

2 Likes

Apologies about the continuing slow search - I made an infrastructure change last night, but made that server too small. Updating it right now. Hopefully will be resolved going forward… will continue to monitor.

While the update is being performed, search will be down. Will let you know when search is back!

Edit: Ugh, apologies everyone! These issues will continue to persist for at least 20 mins.

Edit: And we’re still going to be down for a little while. I’ve had to redo the entire search infrastructure. :unamused:

1 Like

Ok, we should be back now! The book search isn’t fully populated yet, but it should be fully populated within the next two hours.

This is what happens when you too aggressively scale down you infrastructure costs :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Small Product Update
Fixed up a bunch of little things and made some UI changes you will notice :slight_smile:

DONE

• separated ‘In Progress’ section into “I’m Reading”, “I’m Watching”
  • Only show ‘Days Read’ / ‘Days Watched’ if it makes sense. Allow you to toggle off in your preferences
    • part of a push to keep unused features out of mind
  • Only show reviews / videos / books / gradings on a profile if there is data in them. Your profile still shows all sections in order to encourage you to use everything
  • Added item type to items listed on series pages @seanblue
  • Final progress activity & marking ‘finished’ activity was not collapsing, now fixed @seanblue

DONE [Audiovisual only]

• @Megumin Fixed Yuri Yuri seasons to only say ゆるゆり S1, ゆるゆり S2… etc, and not ゆるゆり Yuri Yuri S1… etc
  • make sure movie collection is ordered by release date
  • @seanblue made ‘item type’ filter in ‘My Videos’ page an OR filter not an AND filter
  • better handling for ongoing tv season progress in dashboard… do not use progress bar (looks strange when it’s 100%)
    • decided to fully switch tv season progress to a simple episode number rather than progress bar. Only use progress bar if you are in ‘manual episode’ progress mode… i.e. you are completing episodes in random order
6 Likes

I’m glad to see the nonfiction category has been added :slight_smile: I did notice a typo - it’s listed as ‘nonfictions’ in the drop-down menu. Also, would it be helpful to suggest items that should be moved there from ‘other’?

2 Likes

To be honest, it’s probably most, if not all, of ‘Other’ that should be marked nonfiction? After perusing the first few pages, I think the only items that are a bit hard to categorize are religious texts. Do people usually expect to find that in the non-fiction section?

Otherwise, i’d love people’s feedback on items that may not fit ‘nonfiction’ in the ‘other’ section.

2 Likes

Religious texts usually get categorized in a separate religion & spirituality section, not under nonfiction. I think those would be okay to leave under ‘other’.

One other thing I see that seems a bit hard to categorize is 遺書. I guess it’s technically nonfiction, but an author’s suicide note is not what people would usually expect to find in that category; both Amazon and Kobo have it listed as 文学. So maybe it should stay there as well.

1 Like

Plays are the first thing to come to mind that would be “other” but not “nonfiction”. Poetry as well.

4 Likes

@brandon 本の虫’s two statuses here have been stuck at the top of my activity feed all day:

Has anyone else been seeing this?

1 Like

I’m seeing it. I guess someone time traveled again.

3 Likes

@brandon we discussed this in email, but I agree that the grand majority of Other can be moved to Nonfiction. It’d probably be easier to move things back to Other than going one by one through all of Other to see what’s nonfic.
That said, here’s a few I noted as belonging still to Other:

2 Likes

should also remain in Other if you’re going to wholesale move them.

2 Likes

Ok. I’ve moved everything in Other to nonfiction except those books you both noted (and the bible).

If there are any other books that should be placed back into ‘Other’, just submit via the feedback button :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Non fiction tag! :partying_face: Thanks for adding it!

I noticed that filtering for non fiction in my books doesn’t bring back any results, although the books themselves have the new genre tag. Filtering for others still brings them back.
(Filtering in browsing works fine)

To better understand where things go: should books like https://learnnatively.com/book/2ea138689a/ about the Japanese language or other knowledge fields or self help books also go into non fiction? Reflections on Buddhist teaching feel similar.

And how about travel logs/ books introducing various locations like https://learnnatively.com/book/56ccacd7e1/ ? It’s not fiction, but is it nonfiction?

And then there’s this series (among others, probably) that goes and makes old texts (mostly fiction) accessible to the modern reader by explaining old words and grammar and the circumstances of the time. https://learnnatively.com/book/8de65370d3/
It’s basically non fiction about fiction. :sweat_smile: Same with https://learnnatively.com/book/8253d18814/

Do these all go into nonfiction?

4 Likes

Well, I’m no expert here, so i’d love others to give some feedback too! My initial take is:

group 1 (self help) - non fiction
group 2 (travel) - non fiction… but not very sure. Can be swayed.
group 3 (text helpers) - I don’t know.

3 Likes

Since it came up in one of my “move category” requests: If something is both a manga and non-fiction, where shall we put it? Would be nice if things could have multiple categories. Something can be for children, but also non-fiction. The issue is that the book type mixes things. Genre, age-range, contents… :thinking: If multiple categories are implemented, exlcuding them during search would be nice too. e.g. I want to see all non-ficiton books but excluding those aimed at children. :melting_face: Seems the more you look into categories/tags the more complicated it gets. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

This is how I see it: If it includes the full text but with annotations/explanations/footnote, it’s still fiction. If it’s a companion book with explanations, etc. not including the original text (or at least the original text is only a small portion), it’s non-fiction.

1 Like

Yes, I agree that there are some complications. We will begin to address those when we get to tagging… categories as they are now can’t really address them.

Agreed though, that manga you expressed feedback is really both nonfiction and manga!

2 Likes