Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Ok! So I think forums are mostly back to normal, with a few rare issues. I can’t be confident it will be fully resolved until tomorrow night, but it looks like it’s stable enough to reenable the links on the main site.

If you're curious on the issue

The problem happened when I restarted this discourse server, because it crashed on update. When you restart a server on Amazon, the numbered address changes for the location of that server, which usually isn’t an issue. However, in this case it was. I had registered that particular address as the location for ‘forums.learnnatively.com’ to the entire internet and then told the internet to only recheck the address once every 2 days. I could’ve told the internet to recheck sooner than that, but that was the default and I didn’t change it. After I had changed my server address and realized the issue, it was too late! The internet wouldn’t recheck until 2 days had passed, no matter what I did.

Of course, this is only an issue if your device / router / browser had seen forums.learnnatively.com and refreshed recently (withing the past day of the issue). This is why many people are able to see the forum now.

This is called ‘dns propagation’ and is the bugbear of people everywhere… if you don’t set your ‘recheck’ config small enough :joy:.

FWIW, I now am telling the internet to recheck every 10 mins, so this can’t happen again.

Thank you all for bearing with me!

Also, in case you were concerned, I take backups of the forum data every day and store them on a different server. So even if I deleted this server, at the worse we’d only lose 1 day of data. No reason to worry :smiling_face:

12 Likes

Yeah, providers want to set the default TTL as high as possible as it reduces load on their side. But customers usually want more flexibility.

(For extra fun, see ISPs and business DNS servers which look at a TTL of 5m and decide “Nah, that’s too short, it’s 24h now”, though at least that seems to be getting less common these days)

8 Likes

Gotta keep the TTL low, you are not footing that bill :rofl:

As @araigoshi then middle DNS do whatever they want in the end, which is usually additional caching to the TTL you have specified.

2 Likes

Oof, waiting for DNS propagation is the worst. Not sure if you already know this, but you can request a DNS cache flush, with some major ones being:

Cloudflare: https://1.1.1.1/purge-cache/
Google: Flush Cache  |  Public DNS  |  Google for Developers
OpenDNS: https://cachecheck.opendns.com/

4 Likes

Is it possible to mark a drama as watched partially with eng subs, partially with Korean subs depending on the episode? I started a drama with a friend, so those couple episodes were with Eng subs, but the rest I’m planning to watch with KOR subs. Usually I’d just rewatch the whole thing in Korean, so it wouldn’t matter, but the cringe in this one is just too much for me to handle doing that.

3 Likes

You can’t even mark something fully watched with Eng subs, let along partially, so I’d assume you’re out of luck there.

??? Is that a bug, or…? Letting you mark something as EN subs and then not letting you do anything w that sounds, uh, not good. Or is this part of that “if you watched w non-target-language subs it doesn’t count” attitude that the community seems to hold (which discouraged me from tracking audiovisual at all on here since I rarely can watch w JP or no subs [no access]. But isn’t it up to the individual whether something counts or not? If I’ve picked some stuff up from EN-subbed anime and can tell where some subs are inaccurate—even what they’re actually saying—then clearly I’m not tuning the audio lines out entirely, but whatever)

4 Likes

When you remove something from your library, the warning message still says it’ll be removed from any custom lists, but that should be custom tags now. They very much still stay on your lists.

2 Likes

Can I ask where/how you’re watching stuff? (Wondering if I can figure out a way to help with the access thing)

1 Like

Except for when I have the blu-rays (my problem there is the external disc drive I bought specifically bc it could play BDs refuses to anymore—it is old and likes to crash, so I pry need a new one soon anyway—and I can only rarely use the blu-ray player), largely through unofficial means. Especially since Crunchyroll decided to make everything premium, and I don’t feel like paying for that esp when I don’t watch much of any sort of TV

1 Like

Oh, oops, that’s probably my mistake. The original functionality was that you couldn’t mark something with English subs, but that must’ve changed and I forgot about it. Sorry for the misinformation @HopeWaterfall!

2 Likes

You could (and still can) add English sub, but it’s classified differently internally. You don’t get difficulty comparisons for instance.
I assume that if some episodes of a series are marked as “English subs”, the series won’t be considered fully watched?
Ah but sadly that setting seems to be at the season level? Maybe there’s a way with the data manager?

3 Likes

If unofficial means involves a browser, asbplayer chrome extension should integrate with it, and let you upload a subtitle file. If it involves a program, VLC Player lets you upload subtitles as well. You can find subs for most shows at Japanese subtitles - kitsunekko.net

There’s also animelon.com, which has a medium-sized collection (almost never very recent shows), and is occasionally a bit buggy, but overall works really well… Let’s you toggle JP, kana, and EN (or have them on simultaneously)

In a pinch, I’ve found things on YouTube (like .hack//sign, which is super hard to find otherwise) and used the auto-gen subs… They’re iffy tho

Do BDs usually have subs btw? The only JP one I own (結束バンド Live) doesn’t, which was really disappointing, since like most of the second disc is the voice actors talking

1 Like

In my experience, they usually don’t for anime, but drama will have them.

Edit: anime movies will have them as well (at least my ジブリ stuff does)

3 Likes

I’ll check out those sites, thanks

None of my anime have subtitles, and I don’t think オールドファッションカップケーキ does either, but my movies do. バッテリー I didn’t find out until after I already watched it since BDs always skip the menu (hate that). すずめの戸締まり I haven’t confirmed but I think it’s actually supposed to have both JP and EN subs.

1 Like

In my experience even when you get subs they don’t match the dialogue :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

if you mark it with eng sub, it simply doesn’t let you grade it. Which seems like a good idea to me. But you can track it, no issue there.

3 Likes

Really? The only case I have noticed that was when watching a dubbed movie + JP subtitles. My guess is that the dub is somewhat trying to match speaking but the subs don’t have that constraint.

Damn, that’s all really disappointing/messed up (I’m glad at least some things have them)

Translation vs transcription issue probly?

2 Likes

Well, the original material was in English, so in both cases it would be a translation. It’s just not the same translation.

1 Like