きらきらひかる (Profoundly Weird Book Club)

I just finished chapter 8, as well. Catching up and overtaking us despite having started later. :face_holding_back_tears: Can I please have your reading speed? :face_holding_back_tears:

So, Mutsuki wants to come clean to everyone… I wonder if he will just do that or if he will discuss it with Shouko first. And if she will have an opinion on that. And if she will say that opinion because so far, she does not have a good track record of speaking her mind.

Tbf, such marriages happen even in Western countries but probably are more common in Japan (often both parties being gay and using each other as beards). And honestly, I don’t have an issue per se, if this is what all involved want and agree to. It’s just sad if people are forced into it, hide the truth from their spouse and children suffer because of it.

3 Likes

yahoo links. :skull: I wish I could just tell them “I don’t care about EU privacy law, please let me access your website.” :face_holding_back_tears:

5 Likes

Worth noting that I’m on vacation right now, so I’m taking advantage of more time to read books. Also - are you not listening to the audiobook? It’s well done, the narrators really bring the emotion through.

Oh I had no idea!

content

『AAA』與真司郎「ゲイである」同性愛を告白「発信することで勇気づけられる人がいてくれたら」

活動休止中のダンス&ボーカルグループ「AAA」の與真司郎(あたえ・しんじろう、34)が26日、東京・渋谷のLINE CUBE SHIBUYAで開いた無料イベントで、自身が「ゲイ」(男性同性愛者)であることをファンに報告した。 【動画】AAA與真司郎、同性愛を告白「発信することで勇気づけられる人がいてくれたら」 與は6月15日に自身のインスタグラムで「エイベックス・マネジメント」との専属契約満了と独立を報告。「新たな出発を機に、改めて皆様へ直接お伝えしたいことがあります。“僕の人生をかけた挑戦”に関して、個人的な願いにはなりますが、皆様の顔をみながら直接伝えさせていただければと思っております」と伝えていた。 この日は、自身の半生を題材としたドキュメンタリーが米ハリウッドで制作中であること、自身の経験を込めた楽曲の発表を行った。新たな挑戦はカミングアウトした上でのアーティスト活動であると発表。「音楽は世界共通です。つらいトラウマ(心的外傷)を乗り越えた経験、メンタルヘルスについて僕が発信することで、世界のどこかで、勇気づけられる人がいてくれたらいいと心から思います。諦めずに進み続ければ、“新たな光差す方へ”、導かれると思います」と決意を語った。AAAは2019年に活動休止を発表、與は米ロサンゼルスを拠点に活動している。 ◆與真司郎(あたえ・しんじろう) 1988年11月26日生まれ、京都府出身。男女混合グループAAA(トリプルエー)のメンバーとして2005年9月にシングル「BLOOD on FIRE」でデビュー。16年には米カリフォルニアの大学に留学。グループでの活動は15周年の節目となる20年12月に一時休止。 21年3月からはライフスタイルブランド「446―DOUBLE FOUR SIX―」を立ち上げ、美容健康食品、雑貨、アクセサリーなどを展開するブランドプロデューサーとして活動。現在はエイベックスマネジメントとエージェント契約を結びつつ、米ロサンゼルスに拠点を移している。

It’s a fairly short article, I remember reading a more detailed one about the event and social media reaction after, but this basically summarizes it and frankly, it being news at is is noteworthy to me.

4 Likes

Chapter 9:

Ah, the 90s “I am not gay, I am just gay for you.” trope. :rofl:

And they have been together for 12 years, which would make Kon between 24 and 28 years. :thinking: Ok, so there could be less of an age gap than I assumed. Kon could be an older uni student.

3 Likes

chapter 9

When reading that line I was thinking, "is this the sneaky vague usage of 付き合う which can mean either knowing someone and being friends or dating? Like I read it multiple times and honestly feel it could go either way.

I can’t imagine just showing up to a hospital to visit a friend/partner at work for the hell of it. The thought of doing so is totally alien to me. Judging by the reaction of the two doctors, it isn’t normal to them either.

I was kind of amused by Shouko being annoyed that Kon would claim to be older than her. So presumably is is younger although by how much is still left vague.

Mutsuki laying things bare to Mizuho though was unexpected. I’m actually really curious to see how this turns out (written before I read the next chapter to avoid any spoilers)

chapter 10

Hmm…seems like everything turned out alright? I’m curious what the last two chapters will bring, this one ended oddly peaceful and honestly could have been an ending albeit an abrupt one.

おとこおんな is just yikes though.

I should be able to finish the book tomorrow. I’ve really been enjoying it, so I’m a bit sad it’s wrapping so soon.

3 Likes

at least not without asking them first. Like “hey honey, I will be in your area tomorrow, shall we meet for lunch? I would love to see where you work.” or something.

3 Likes

Finished chapter 5 and 6 the other day but did not have much to add here, except maybe that I can totally relate to Shoko being very pissed off by everybody demanding that she have a baby already, and I applaud her wish to just be herself and live her life. This little intermezzo depicts a very strong and independent aspect of her personality in my mind, no matter how much her alcohol addiction makes us think otherwise. Great little piece of characterization in my opinion.

4 Likes

Finished chapter 7.

Wow, now even her husband starts scheming on her. I would be extremely upset as well. Why is everybody trying to “take care of her” and “do what’s best for her”? I don’t get that, really. Very saddening.

4 Likes

chapter 9, cont.

I’d be furious if my partner would just go and out me like this without my consent. That’s such a breech of trust. I know they are not partners in the traditional sense, but they are married, live together and do seem to genuinely care for each other. Big nope!

2 Likes

chapter 10:

It’s the 90s, so I guess the slurs should be no surprise, but still… I mean, for the time, the parents are actually pretty chill.
I never thought about it, but it makes sense that for お見合い you’d also exchange health information, etc. but it’s such a weird concept to me.

2 Likes

Chapter 11:

oh no, oh no, oh no. don’t do it. do not do it. :see_no_evil: don’t have a child just to please someone.

Ok, so we now have a pretty good idea about the age gap. Around 6 to 8 years. :skull:

And why did Mutsuki about when it all started with Kon? :thinking:

And what did they fight about to make Kon leave? :thinking:

2 Likes

I finished!

Chapter 11 thoughts:

ok so he was a fresh graduate student, so ~24, and Kon was in high school which in Japan is between 15 and 18. 18 wouldn’t be that sketch but it’s toeing the line for sure

Ending thoughts

What a roller coaster of emotions this book put me through. I love the messy, complicated, half explained relationships between the characters. I love how while there was constant tension, everyone seemed to try to pull things back into harmony, to hold onto the people in their lives and keep those ties intact even when strained. I did not like Shouko considering having a child as an active alcoholic though :sweat_smile: But despite the family and friends asserting the ‘correct’ way to be happy, it seems the three of them found their own happiness.

3 Likes

Chapter 11, cont.:

So, does Kon think, it was Mutsuki’s idea to mix their semen and have a child using Shouko? Is that why he gets so angry? That sudden outburst confused me a bit.

Still have the afterword to read, but this books has a very modern idea of “relationship”. It’s basically a polyamorous relationship - something that back than was (and is still today) very much frowned upon by society. Basically, if you include smartphones, it could have been written today.

Finished. I only skimmed the 2 afterwords - not really interested.
While the characters annoyed me, I did like the book. It doesn’t really offer you a story or anything really. It’s just a glimpse into the lives of people.

3 Likes

This was fun. It was nice having someone along for the ride.
It also forced me to free-flow a bit less than I usually do - especially with physical books. Although that might have been partially also the book. When there is no story to help you along, you really need to understand basically every sentence at least superficially.

Looking forward to nikoru’s remarks (and anyone who may be inclined to add theirs later on). :smiling_face:

4 Likes

I think it’s the fact she’s acting like she has to share…? I think both Kon and Shouko would have liked to have him to theirselves and it hurt that they couldn’t. Although at the end they made peace with this.

4 Likes

Read chapter 8 and 9 the other day.

Chapter 8:

I was really happy that Shoko finally got around to follow her instincts with her friend, and that she “broke up” with her. As it stands, her influence (as well-intended as it may have been) was not helpful for Shoko, and so I guess it was the best for both of them.

Chapter 9:

Now that was hilarious! Them both all of a sudden invading their friends’ workplace, and even visiting the old people’s section! I thought it was so typical that only triggered by their prompts, the old people started to talk among each other about their relatives and who were the persons on their photos, although they will probably have lived side-by-side for years at that time. Sad, actually.
I had a good chuckle about Kon calling Shoko his little sister :rofl: I thought that was also very typical, as these age rankings are super important. (A Japanese person once told me about their relatives who were twins (boy and girl), and who constantly fought about whether she was 姉さん or he was 兄さん :laughing:)

I asked a language partner, and he said that they have a rule in their company that if somebody comes out as gay, it is forbidden to discriminate them, but when I asked about what people would really think, he said that most would not approve. (But seriously, in Germany there’d also be a lot of people that wouldn’t approve either :woman_shrugging:)

I guess I’m just way too naive for this kind of material - I took him to be an ordinary bisexual person :laughing: :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’ve had mixed experiences. The young Japanese people (early 20s/college students) I’ve spoken to seem very open about it overall, with one guy casually revealing he was bi to me, whereas the older you go the less that happens. I have close friends who are a married lesbian couple and I’ve had some awkward exchanges in Japanese explaining that yes, my Japanese is correct, they are both women. I also remember a guy (late 20s?) being incredibly bothered when someone invited him to the local pride parade :grimacing: Although maybe he didn’t realize you don’t need to be gay to be invited/attend?

In America it really depends on location/age/demographic. Being openly out in my industry and companies I’ve worked at is 100% normal and accepted, but that’s definitely not true everywhere :confused:

7 Likes

Finished chapter 10.

So we had the big coming-out with all the family. I found it pretty confusing with all the „mother“ and „mother-in-law“ etc labels, and I had to remind myself which perspective we’re seeing this from in order to understand their reactions :face_with_spiral_eyes:. But I really liked how the two handled the situation, especially Shoko who gets cooler and cooler with every chapter. I wish she would get together with Kon, that would be amazing. :heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

Finished as well! :tada:

I liked the very calm and peaceful atmosphere, and how Mutsuki was really too good to be true, being always friendly and understanding, even when Shoko or Kon acted up on him. I also liked how Shoko grew throughout the story, speaking her mind more and more and finding a way to be happy in life although the circumstances are not approved by the surroundings (i.e. friends and family). I think if more people would manage to live in a way they really wish for from the bottoms of their hearts, and if fewer people would be bothered by them doing so, the world would be a much more happy and peaceful place. Happy to have seen a little glimpse of that happiness!

7 Likes

6 Likes