きらきらひかる (Profoundly Weird Book Club)

@cat
:eyes:

5 Likes

Haha, I wanted to finish a chapter or two before posting in here! I’ll likely be able to get through at least the first two chapters by tonight and then I’ll feel like I can contribute to the discussion!

3 Likes

Ok, I read chapters one and two. This book is pretty short and I have the audiobook so I might actually be able to finish this relatively quickly.

Does he? On page 16 it says

もう一通の診断書の話だ。検査の結果、エイズの疑いはありません。

Also some thoughts on the relationship…

I don’t think she’s actually ace given she’s had a lover before and her dissatisfaction seems at least somewhat targeted at 紺. At least that’s how I’m taking her emotions regarding his plant.

5 Likes

I might have misread it. I thought this was like “There is no doubt about him having aids.” :thinking: but probably it means “There is no suspicion of aids.”? :thinking:

3 Likes

I think that’s because we are not given insight into how the chracters feel. We see the outbursts, etc. but we are not given any hint as to what is actually going on inside their heads, even though we are supposedly in their heads. We are kept at arms-length. It makes the reader feel distanced to the story. Imo.

And the harder part is due to not having an actual story, imo. It’s all about the characters and for this details are more important than for a story-driven book, imo.

Lots of imos. :rofl:

5 Likes

As expected, I did not have much time yesterday and just finished chapter 3.

It’s kind of building up a lot of atmosphere, with Shoko dreaming of her former lover, then being confused enough to take the wrong bus to the hospital, and then being so full of stuff she wants to tell her husband that she can’t say anything at all. (I can very much relate to that part!)
Her husband, on the other hand, is kind to her, as usual. She is obsessed about his lover and likes to hear stories that involve him. He does not seem to find that weird, so let them go with it I’d say :woman_shrugging:
On the other hand she is very insecure and thinks he wants to hide her. (And maybe he does? :thinking:) But she tries to be a good wife to him.

I thought that was hilarious :rofl: He really seems to be in love with him.

Oh that’s a very interesting observation. Could not pinpoint it until now, but I agree.

4 Likes

I finished chapters 3 and 4 today. Re: Chapter 4:

I had the exact same reaction and was like, "…did I misread. Please let me have misread :see_no_evil: "

Re: Chapter 3:

I also thought him saying 紺 smelled like coke was weird, but then I thought on it and some people do have unique smells so… :person_shrugging: I guess in this sea of strange, I let that one pass.

Yeah he seems really tolerant if maybe a bit exasperated at times with her unpredictable behavior. I get the feeling that he really likes her as a friend, but that her feelings for him at not staying in that boundary. He actively encourages her to get a lover, but she’s either too hung up on her ex or too hung up on he unavailable husband to even consider it.

4 Likes

Do we know how old everyone is? I am bad at remembering such details. :upside_down_face:

Finished chapter 6 just now and shouko is definitely only a minor inconvenience away from a nervous breakdown and I am trying to figure out if mutsuki is a creep hence the age question…

3 Likes

Just finished chapter 4.

Luckily the party went very well, in a relaxed atmosphere with everybody. The ending was somewhat unexpected but I liked the chill atmosphere with which the three decided to camp in the living room. And finally, the soothing rain. Again very atmospheric.

I actually liked the dog episode quite a lot. So either he was being serious, which would add a lot to his character, or he was joking, which would also add a lot to his character :rofl: I‘m more team „he is joking“ though, given what we know about him so far.

3 Likes

One of the friends was described as being in his mid-thirties but looking much younger, but I don’t remember for the others. I guess they are around the same age? Shoko having had a relationship before, and having been to a number of 見合い, leads me to believe that she is in her late 20s at least.

I’m also wondering, does anybody remember where this is set? By chance, a Japanese friend read the page where that mayonnaise factory gets mentioned, and he wondered whether that might be the same factory that he had actually done some business with at some point :rofl:

3 Likes

Chapter 6, cont.:

I am pretty sure Mutsuki is a creep. He got together with Kon when Kon was in middle school. Kon is now a university student (so early 20s?) while Mutsuki is a fully-fledged Doctor (so at least 30?) He must have been at least a uni student when Kon was in middle school. :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Since I have to stay up way past my bedtime for work tonight, I read chapter 7:

Can this woman just enjoy something for once without drama and without acting like a spoiled 4 year old? I have been through stuff with people with all sorts of mental issues but none of them was this high maintenance :no_mouth:

4 Likes

I finished chapters 5 and 6 today

Re: chapter 5

OMG. Every time a character was like ‘just have a baby, it will solve everything!’ I was dying inside. I actually have a relative who had a baby in the hopes it would make a failing marriage better. I don’t think I need to say how that turned out :disappointed:

ch. 6:

So I also have wondered at their ages given Mustuki is a doctor and Kon is a ‘college student’? But now there has been talk about them knowing eachother as kids so I’m not sure anymore? Like is Kon in grad school or something? Or is it like a 4-5 year age difference?

Wait, was he a doctor at that point? I took that section as both of them had been young :thinking:

I actually don’t remember a place name ever being mentioned :thinking:

2 Likes

I understood it as Kon being in middle school and Mutsuki kind of the “older brother” neighbour figure we often get in Japanese media. I assumed that Mutsuki probably was studying then - hence still living at home and having time to spare. I mean, he goes to Mustuki for dating advice, does he not? But seeing as Mutsuki is now already a doctor and Kon is still a student, they must have at the very least 4 or so years between them, probably more. In any case, that was an adult/minor relationship, unless I am completely misreading something. I mean, Japan does love their age gap romances and it seems particularly common in gay media. :confounded:

3 Likes

I am assuming Tokyo simply from the way it is set up. Having an amusement park nearby, etc. but I don’t think it was mentioned.

3 Likes

Finished chapter 7

I don’t think I’ve been as bothered by her haha. She strikes me as someone who should be on medicine or receiving good counseling but is instead offered mystery pills by a her husband’s friend and told to ‘have a baby, you’ll feel better’ by her psychiatrist. I think it’s also worth noting that much of her distress isn’t visible to others prior to this major breakdown, it’s just alcoholism and some unkind words - we’re just exposed to her thought processes and have a very intimate view of her mental collapse.

Mutsuki contriving to have her meet her ex at the park was pretty fucked though. Why on Earth did he think that was a good idea?

3 Likes

yes.

but not really. her mood swings are random and we don’t really get a proper explanation for anything. I think she’d annoy me less if we would get more insight into her thoughts. Is she in love with her husband? I she jealous of Kon? Does she feel useless? Why does she drink? Like, we don’t even learn how she feels when she drinks. She just drinks and then becomes a nuisance.

on that note, I had this annoying conversation today. You'd think in 2023 people would know better.

Doctor: Do you have children?
Me: No and it’s not gonna happen.
Doctor: Don’t say that, it might still happen.
Me: I am almost 40 and I never wanted children. I am pretty sure that train has left the station.
Doctor: …

The question had no medical relevance to begin with. (It was an eye exam.)

5 Likes

I think if they told us that we’d have far less story :joy: Honestly I suspect this is the kind of book where we won’t get real answers to any of those questions

similar aside

Back in ~2014 I had a coworker tell me that “God would decide” whether or not I would have children :neutral_face: I like kids, but the conversation of whether or not I will have any is quite personal and people trying to pry into that is exhausting.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think so, too. Much vibes, no answers. It’s very japanese-y in that sense.

OT, cont.

right? and what about people who want children but can’t have them or had a miscarriage or whatever. For me those questions are just annoying but they can be really hurtful. I did tell a (male) colleague off last year at the company Christmas party, when a young colleague didn’t feel like drinking and he was like “oh, so you are pregnant?” :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

I read chapter 8

I really enjoyed this chapter, it was very introspective and showed how the various characters (Shouko, Mizuho, Mutsuki, Mutsuki’s father) view each others’ relationships. I feel bad for Mizuho, losing a friend who she clearly cares for and wants the best for, but I agree with Shouko that she wouldn’t be able to explain this situation to Mizuho’s satisfaction/world view.
I just checked the publication date at the back of the book, 平成6, or 1994. Definitely not a time of open acceptance. I actually imagine such marriages are still happening in Japan, although probably lesser. It was only a few months ago after all that a Japanese celebrity (idol? He’s a member of AAA) came out and it was a big deal and the fact that his group members stood behind him for the announcement and voiced support on social media was likewise big. In 2023. Safe to say acceptance isn’t commonplace. :confused:

4 Likes