Search Update: Make exact matches prioritized

Description of your request or bug report:

Make exact matches get prioritized. Short titles (example ‘穴’) often are overwhelmed by a ton of results

Trello link:

A post was split to a new topic: Search Update: Allow multiple romanizations

Approved. @Megumin perhaps we should split these requests up? This ticket, as titled, is a bit of a catch-all, we may want something more specific?

Do we have other points aside from these two ones that might have fallen on the catch all that you have on the line to implement so we split it properly?

If not:

• Search Update: Make exact matches get prioritized.
  • Search Update: Allow multiple romanizations
  • Search update (Interface/UX?): Allow to close the drop down search results.
1 Like

I have one more idea for potential search improvements, if I may. On mobile, when clicking the search button it loads up the search page and all results, and then you search from there. Feels like it would make more sense to click the search button on the page you’re on, then have the little search bar pop up there and let you type in instead of having to wait for the search page to load results you weren’t looking for in the first place.

1 Like

@Megumin I like how you broke those out. With @eefara’s additional one.

1 Like

(Sorry to surface this, but it’s caused me some frustration lately)

This is a bigger problem when you’re trying to search the gradings page, like when you want to edit a grading. In regular search, you can hit enter and it’ll still come up, even if it is a ways down the page (あん, for example, is on the fourth row when searching “あん”), but in grading, hitting enter selects the first suggestion, rather than searching for any match as with the regular search.

This one does have an alternate title which it’s searchable by (typing anywhere from “sw” to "sweet " or “sweet be” to “sweet bean paste” will bring it up in suggestions, although “sweet b” only brings up BITTER✕SWEET BLOOD for some reason), but not all of them do, such as 初恋, which I reread recently and had to go searching manually for any previous skipped comparisons to see if I could grade them now.

(Actually, is there any reason books you haven’t read come up in gradings search? Is it possible to make it so that only ones you have do? If so, I could make a product request if one doesn’t already exist that I missed.)

3 Likes