Tags, Tags, Tags [Official Management]

Agreed, but of the two it’s least worst in this context – for a second language learner the difference between “this is 50 pages of fiction” and “this is 300 pages of fiction” I think matters much more than “is this a single long coherent narrative or multiple shorter ones?” for difficulty and whether it’s something you feel up to taking on.

4 Likes

For myself the issue I keep running into is that many collections take their title from one of the stories, and as I like to read Aozora I often read a short in isolation, but if someone has submitted the collection already it can get a bit confusing :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Is it intentional for the Tags to appear below Grading on mobile? Putting them in/after About would seem to make more sense, imo

Also it looks like they don’t have a nav link on mobile. I almost missed them altogether.

4 Likes

Please make a related works section then. Many franchises could benefit from it, like all the gundam that’s in the same universe or leijiverse works. I think right now, some of them list the original creator as an author, but that’s not accurate either.

2 Likes

Speaking of this, it’d be really great if the descriptions included keywords to make the tags easier to find, such as including “queer” in the description of lgbtq.

1 Like

Agreed! I’d encourage you to comment and vote on the product request too - Crosslinking between different media forms of the same title/property.

Ok there are a lot of things in this thread. I will quickly summarize my immediate action items here. If it’s not here, then either I missed it or i’m not doing it now … feel free to log a product request or comment.

But first : I’m looking for 1-2 volunteers to help manage tags!. As you can already see, tag management can be quite complicated and I think it’d be a massive help if a few of you are interested! Your duties would be focused on approving tags, editing tags, deleting / re-assinging duplicate tags. Let me know in a personal dm or comment below!

• Find 1-2 volunteers to help with tags. Allow them access to the tags admin.
  • Fix bug with scrollbar where you can’t click the scroll
  • Add a separate page where you can see all the tags
  • Allow you to delete your recently created tags
  • Allow you to report / change spoiler status of tags
  • [Will not do now] I won’t be adding multiselect for tags
  • [Will not do now] Adding extra key terms for tags
9 Likes

I’m happy to help with tags, but you’ll likely want someone else with knowledge of manga/LN genres as well.

Also, my free time isn’t amazingly extensive so if spots are limited and someone with more volunteers I give up my spot :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Like @cat, I don’t mind helping, but I’m not sure how much time I would have.
That being said, I am visiting the site everyday, so, assuming moderation tasks give me a clear notification (so that I notice them easily), that might be fine.

6 Likes

I’d be happy to chip in with the tag organizing if you need another volunteer.

3 Likes

I think you might’ve missed:

(I just came here to find if anybody already asked for this, because I was missing it as well.)

5 Likes

If it’s approved, what does voting or commenting help with?

3 Likes

Increasing the popularity of the request. Approved just means it will happen someday™, but a lot of activity might bump it’s priority to soon™.

4 Likes

For instance, content tags and favorites were consistently top of the lists for product requests and gave them a bump. Commenting just would be nice to make sure the JoJo series use case would be covered. Also bumps it to the top of the forum, so perhaps more notice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see. Thank you both for the explanation!

2 Likes

I disagree with this. If I open a short story entry and it says 300 pages, I know it’s probably a collection and not 1 story. If I open a novel with 300 pages, I’d assume it’s one long story and not a collection of short stories.

6 Likes

I’d be happy to help, if you still need someone.

Questions:
Is there some notification functionality, so volunteers don’t miss something?
Will there be some guidelines or is it up to the volunteer to decide for now?

Might be a good idea to have volunteers from different timezones. (I am CET aka UTC+1) :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This feels like it really comes down to personal preference.

Having collections classified as “Short Story” does make the stats harder to interpret. And for me personally, when I browse short stories on Natively I am looking for a single story I can read in a day, not a collection of stories. So for me “classify as novel and add a short story collection tag” would work. But of course with this tags could be forgotten/overlooked etc.

The cleanest solution would probably be an extra type for collections, but I can also understand not wanting to add yet another book type… Unfortunately I don’t think the one perfect solution everyone is happy with exists.

5 Likes

I’m thinking of going through anilist and adding any tags i can find for manga / ln / anime. We won’t override any tags you’ve already added, just additional. They’ll start at the confidence level of anilist, but the first vote will change it.

7 Likes

There is a “Not relevant” entry where the percentages are shown, resulting in 0%. Could the tag be removed if a tag is not relevant? Or could you add a “remove” entry in that pop-up menu?

That would be great.

By the way is there a way to add a 50% value to the tags? Currently it goes Main 100%, Major 75%, Minor 25%… And I keep feeling stuck btwn major & minor on things.

Not a huge deal, just a “nice to have”

5 Likes