Tags, Tags, Tags [Official Management]

Oh, very interesting! Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

Period accurate dialogue is a bar that I think no Japanese fiction set before the Meiji period is going to reach. Characters who used the language of Tokugawa era samurai would be pretty much unintelligible to the modern reader.

I also feel like those two definitions leave a middle ground between them where a book doesn’t reach the bar for “historical fiction”, and isn’t one where historical events move the story forward, but isn’t mere “the characters could be put in a different time period without much change to the story”…

5 Likes

I think the layperson uses historical fiction for anything that is set in the past. going into detail whether something is accurate or not, would probably have to go in the reviews. we should not forget, that we are fixing English terms to Japanese concepts - it might not always match. I don’t think historical fiction is the perfect translation for 時代小説 but it’s close enough, imo.

3 Likes

Yeah, for our purposes I think we’re better off just putting it all under one ‘historical fiction’ tag.

5 Likes

I’m glad to see this feature added! A couple of things I noticed:

• The tag-adding box is very, very small on my screen. I can see maybe three tags at once, and usually only two. This makes it a pain to scroll through and see what tags are even options. Can we get a larger box for desktop, or a way of enlarging the box, or perhaps a page somewhere listing all the tags?
  • I don’t think this would make any difference for most tags, but allowing tag descriptions to be searched as well as the names could make discovery easier for some tags.
  • ‘Ice skating’ should probably be renamed ‘figure skating’. ‘Ice skating’ isn’t really a sport per se, and it looks like almost every usage of it on Anilist is for figure skating. There’s also a ‘drawing’ tag but not yet a more general visual art tag - should I just go ahead and add one? I’m not sure how much I should worry about adding tags with a lot of overlap like that.
4 Likes

FWIW, having added tags to a few books, I think the current UI makes this too hard for me to bother to do any more of it. (This is on an Android tablet, so probably mobile UI?) In particular:

• you can’t see all your options at once – you have to scroll through a fairly long list in a smallish box which doesn’t use all the available screen real estate (on my screen I can only see three tags at a time in it), remembering all the options so far, to pick the most appropriate one, which you then need to scroll back up to
  • adding each tag needs too many clicks, which discourages adding multiple tags

I vaguely had envisaged a UI where picking a genre or adding a tag was basically single-click.

7 Likes

I think it would be easier if instead of having to individually add tags, it was a checklist so you could add all relevant ones at once. And then you could mark individual tags as spoiler after they’ve been added. (Also helpful if you forgot to mark it as a spoiler, or if someone else added it and didn’t mark it but you feel it should be)

The ability to at least remove tags that you yourself added would be nice, too. I’ve added the wrong one once so far, where I accidentally selected the one next to the one I wanted and didn’t notice until afterward since they’re so similar, so for now I just set it at 0%

13 Likes

Should “Short Story Collection” be a genre? Or maybe content tag. I know the “Anthology” content tag exists, but that doesn’t apply to all short story collections, and the “Short Story” media type 1) doesn’t distinguish between single stories and collections and 2) per Brandon’s rules only apply if each story is 50 pages long or shorter.

Also, the “Band” tag’s description is “Main cast is a group of musicians,” but would that also apply to school bands, or should there be a different tag for that? “Orchestra,” maybe? That would include non-school orchestras as well. (But I wouldn’t know what to put as the summary. Choir, too. Augh, summaries are always kicking my ass)

4 Likes

I disagree with this one so hard I specifically don’t ask for books which are short story collections to be recategorized from “novel” :slight_smile: “short story” as a media type should only be when the whole work is a single short story IMO.

1 Like

That’s why I don’t like the “Short Story” media type, too. There should be “Short Story” (single story) and “Short Story Collection” (multiple stories in one book, not limited by length), they shouldn’t be lumped together. But saying that a collection is a novel feels like a lie, too, since a novel is a single, long story. But if “short story collection” is going to be done by tags, then idk if that would be better suited as a genre tag or content tag

5 Likes

Agreed, but of the two it’s least worst in this context – for a second language learner the difference between “this is 50 pages of fiction” and “this is 300 pages of fiction” I think matters much more than “is this a single long coherent narrative or multiple shorter ones?” for difficulty and whether it’s something you feel up to taking on.

4 Likes

For myself the issue I keep running into is that many collections take their title from one of the stories, and as I like to read Aozora I often read a short in isolation, but if someone has submitted the collection already it can get a bit confusing :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Is it intentional for the Tags to appear below Grading on mobile? Putting them in/after About would seem to make more sense, imo

Also it looks like they don’t have a nav link on mobile. I almost missed them altogether.

4 Likes

Please make a related works section then. Many franchises could benefit from it, like all the gundam that’s in the same universe or leijiverse works. I think right now, some of them list the original creator as an author, but that’s not accurate either.

2 Likes

Speaking of this, it’d be really great if the descriptions included keywords to make the tags easier to find, such as including “queer” in the description of lgbtq.

1 Like

Agreed! I’d encourage you to comment and vote on the product request too - Crosslinking between different media forms of the same title/property.

Ok there are a lot of things in this thread. I will quickly summarize my immediate action items here. If it’s not here, then either I missed it or i’m not doing it now … feel free to log a product request or comment.

But first : I’m looking for 1-2 volunteers to help manage tags!. As you can already see, tag management can be quite complicated and I think it’d be a massive help if a few of you are interested! Your duties would be focused on approving tags, editing tags, deleting / re-assinging duplicate tags. Let me know in a personal dm or comment below!

• Find 1-2 volunteers to help with tags. Allow them access to the tags admin.
  • Fix bug with scrollbar where you can’t click the scroll
  • Add a separate page where you can see all the tags
  • Allow you to delete your recently created tags
  • Allow you to report / change spoiler status of tags
  • [Will not do now] I won’t be adding multiselect for tags
  • [Will not do now] Adding extra key terms for tags
9 Likes

I’m happy to help with tags, but you’ll likely want someone else with knowledge of manga/LN genres as well.

Also, my free time isn’t amazingly extensive so if spots are limited and someone with more volunteers I give up my spot :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Like @cat, I don’t mind helping, but I’m not sure how much time I would have.
That being said, I am visiting the site everyday, so, assuming moderation tasks give me a clear notification (so that I notice them easily), that might be fine.

6 Likes

I’d be happy to chip in with the tag organizing if you need another volunteer.

3 Likes

I think you might’ve missed:

(I just came here to find if anybody already asked for this, because I was missing it as well.)

5 Likes