Visual Novel Reading Club

Since there was a couple of people who voted for Flowers, I thought I’d mention it here but we are reading it informally as a club starting next month on WK in case anyone is interested in joining us then :smiling_face: We plan on reading the entire series and spending 12 weeks on each game.

8 Likes

It’s time to start a new round of nominations.

3 Likes

bumping this, cuz I was wondering where the club went…

3 Likes

Well I opened the nominations but nobody made any. I thought people were maybe not interested in continuing the club. Actually I wanted to nominate some visual novels myself but I was very busy and forgot about it. :sweat_smile:

Okay let us run the nominations until saturday. Saturday evening I will make a vote.

1 Like

If nothing else, there’s still the nominations from the previous round. I don’t think I’m up for nominating anything, but might wanna join, depending on the VN

(It’s a maybe bc I’m already gonna be doing two LN clubs in 2024… So not sure how much time I’ll have)

(sry for the typos before…)

3 Likes

Literally the only “VNs” I know about are Phoenix Wright and Famicom Detective, so I have no nominations, but would be happy to play anything good. :slight_smile:
I got overwhelmed by moving, and only did the first week of Marco (:sweat_smile:), but I’d likely read another as long as schedules worked out with all my other book clubs.

4 Likes

I have a nomination for this one (and a second one since it seems light if that’s okay):

Title: Christmas Tina ‐泡沫冬景‐ / Christmas Tina: Ephemeral Views of Winter
Platform: PC, Switch
Story Summary:

Summary

It is the year 1988. Japan is in the midst of the bubble economy. New buildings are sprouting up everywhere, and the people are ecstatic.

The old disappears and the new is born, but there are some people, some places, some things, that nobody notices… or perhaps nobody chooses to notice them.

This is a story of people who live for one year… in such a little corner of the city.

Kanna is a first-year high school student who’s involved in a traffic accident during the summer. She finds herself unable to stay in her hometown any longer.

Jing fails his university entrance exams in China. He spends a year or so working at a job he doesn’t like.

Both of them hear of the incredible opportunities presenting themselves in the bubble economy of Tokyo. Therefore, Kanna drops out of high school and goes to Tokyo. Jing quits his job and goes to Japan.

The job both of them set their eyes on, would have them simply living in an old, run-down train station. Although the job only pays a measly 400 yen per hour, it runs for 24 hours a day, so it really isn’t that bad. They wouldn’t have to pay rent, heating, or electricity.

Kanna is a bit awkward around people, and Jing doesn’t speak Japanese. The employer only wants one person. Neither wants to give up on this job, so the woman in charge recommends that they simply do it together…

Vndb Link: Christmas Tina ‐泡沫冬景‐ | vndb
Language difficulty: No JPDB page, based on a few chapters maybe ~5 on a JPDB scale
Average Game Length: 8h 45m
Hookable: ?
Voiced Audio: Fully voiced protagonist (worth noting that one of the main characters is Chinese, so many of their lines are voiced in Chinese instead)
Spoken Lines Replayable: Yes (from backlog)
Trigger Warnings: ?
Why nominated: The production value is very high, it is from a well known VN scenario writer (from narcissu), and it has a unique setting/plot not being a romance and being set during Japan’s bubble economy

And I have another nomination too since it seems light, and I saw a poll earlier in the thread that looked to say that was okay :slight_smile:

Title: ヒラヒラヒヒル / Hirahira Hihiru
Platform: PC (Steam)
Story Summary:

Summary

They’re all perfectly normal human beings.
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

The world you are about to enter is one in which the dead come back to life.

It is a phenomena which has occurred since time immemorial. But these unlucky individuals do not return as the person they once were. They rise from the grave with depleted cognition, memory, and awareness. Their bodies, stripped of all regenerative abilities, slowly rot away.

In Japan, those with this affliction are known as “hihiru.” Though once revered as holy beings, over time they have come to be shunned and reviled by society. Eventually, however, their condition was recognized as a medical issue, and given the name Aerodema.

Now, at the dawn of the Taishou Era, Dr. Katori Shuuhei is conducting field studies in an effort to improve living conditions and support systems for Aerodema patients. Given how slowly they have developed in Japan compared to other nations, it is an uphill battle he fights.

It is through the eyes of two men that this story will unfold: Chigusa Masamitsu, a young doctor assisting with these studies, and Tenma Takeo, a student to whom Aerodema has only been a distant problem until now. Watch how these men grapple with Aerodema as it twists itself into their lives…

Vndb Link: ヒラヒラヒヒル | vndb
Language difficulty: No JPDB page, but rather difficult based on the trial
Average Game Length: 11h
Hookable: Yes
Voiced Audio: Yes (including protagonist)
Spoken Lines Replayable: Yes (from backlog)
Trigger Warnings: ?
Why nominated: The writer is one of my favorite VN writers (Setogutchi, from BLACK SHEEP TOWN, Musicus, SWANG SONG, Kira Kira) and this seemed like a fairly challenging and interesting title to work on some vocab with. These BAKU VNs also have a fairly unique NVL layout that plays a lot with different text placements and art layouts that looks pretty cool, especially when combined with the fairly unique art style

4 Likes

Oh, nice to see Christmas Tina. My impression is that most VNs are quite over the top and I’d like to see more serious mature games like this that aren’t focused on romance or being super sad. I also like how the visuals aren’t the typical character stands in the middle of the frame like it’s a TV interview.

Though I’m not going to participate as I don’t plan on replaying Christmas Tina and I’m already reading Flowers over at wanikani.

3 Likes
What should the visual novel club read next?
  • ナツノカナタ
  • FLOWERS -Le volume sur printemps-
  • Chaos;Child
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
  • Island
  • Christmas Tina ‐泡沫冬景‐
  • ヒラヒラヒヒル / Hirahira Hihiru
0 voters
4 Likes

I tried Textractor with the Steam demo version and it seems to work with the text in the textbox at least. (Accessing the backlog adds lots of trash tho, and I since the demo is Chinese I only tested a minute or so.)

edit: I also checked with the JP demo. It also captures relevant text outside of the text box. Multiline text is repeatedly captured, but the texthooker.html that I have only inserts that once, so… seems to work pretty well so far!

2 Likes

Oooh, Ace Attorney VNs would have been a great nomination - they’re interesting and hillarious! There’s a great JP playthrough of those from the Game Grammar YT channel, here:

3 Likes

I agree! And it seems the trilogy is even available on Steam - I thought it was Switch only. Nice.

(I’m also very much looking forward to playing Famicom Detective at some point, which sadly is Switch only, so it’ll have to wait until I’m less dependent on text hooking…)

3 Likes

Famicom Detective is great, and worth jumping through all of the hoops to get the games.

4 Likes

I wonder why there are so few votes compared to last time. 18 before, 5 now is such a big difference…

1 Like

Rn is a busy time of year (at least in America), more book clubs rn, and there had already been a bunch of active discussion - so the thread had more visibility in general

Mostly I think it’s the 3rd. I suspect many of us forget about threads after a day or two of not seeing them in notifications

5 Likes

I was one of the 5 voters and still forgot, lmao

3 Likes

I also forgot to vote, although depending on the start time, I might have to play catch-up, as I’m planning a trip the first two weeks of January.

4 Likes

I was very busy and didn’t even have time to vote. Either way the vote will be closed Saturday around midnight GMT.

3 Likes

It’s time for Island to make a last minute leap into 1st place

4 Likes

I didn’t get far with Marco, but hopefully I’ll have more time for the next one. I’ve voted for Higurashi :slight_smile:

3 Likes