Visual Novel Reading Club

Also a question into the void, if Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ends up wining, I’m guessing it would be only the first arch?

Otherwise it would be extremely long, not that I mind though, as it’s been on my TBD list for so long. The disks I bought from comiket are still staring at me to this day.

3 Likes

If Higurashi wins the vote we will just read the first arc if people like it we can continue reading it.

But we don’t need to decide what to do about that right now.

6 Likes

Kids we have a problem we have a draw. Okay let’s decide what we should do about that.

What should we do now?
  • We will read both visual novels starting with Christmas Tina.
  • Read both at the same time.
  • We will vote again until we decide on just one.
  • I have a better idea…
0 voters
2 Likes

Usually I’d suggest a vote just between the two of them where you can only vote for one, but “Read both at the same time” would almost be feasable, with only one person voting for both :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah this is what I was thinking too because of the low amount of overlap

The only kinda awkward thing about that is that Higurashi will be going for months past the end of Christmas Tina in that scenario.

2 Likes

And apart from that: Some people might want to join a club they didn’t vote for after all. Hence my “almost be feasable”.

1 Like

Gotta say the poll is a bit biased as the option to start with Christmas Tina exists but not Higurashi, although I guess it was done because it was a seasonal theme? :sweat_smile:

I don’t care either way, I’m probably better with that as I’m still planning to be super AFK from 1-15 January.

1 Like

I voted Read Both, since there’s almost no overlap in members. If I’m reading Higurashi, I really don’t care if someone else is reading a different VN.

In theory I’m fine with a later start date, but I’ll be doing both 後宮の烏 and また、同じ夢を見ていた starting Jan 1 & 28 respectively. So I’m not sure I could keep up with all 3.

Any idea approx how long either VN would take?

I haven’t read Higurashi before so not sure on that one but I have read Christmas Tina (in eng) and its pretty short. I’d say its comparable to Marco in length, just a little bit (1-2hr) longer than that probably.
For planning purposes, Christmas Tina is also split into 30-something (really short) chapters.

3 Likes

Hmm, so a bit over a month then, and it sounds like Higurashi might be longer. Seems like Higurashi will overlap with the other two no matter what… But I guess I’ll give it my best go, whenever it starts, and hopefully won’t end up dropping

(I dropped Marco, but because the story really didn’t work for me… 残念 since I loved hearing Shiori Izawa’s voice acting!)

3 Likes

Higurashi looks like it’s around 50-60 hours if you’re already comfortable reading VNs, although the first chapter will realistically only be around 7ish hours. For reference the first chapter is about twice as long as onaji yume. Christmas Tina should be around 8-10 hours. Just going off of vndb and jpdb data here

3 Likes

I was interpreting first chapter here as the whole first game which would take years at the rate Marco went based on their JPDB character lengths :sweat_smile:

This makes a lot more sense

3 Likes

It’s time for Island

3 Likes

I thought it would be strange reading something Christmas themed after Christmas. That’s all.

I’m sure it will win the vote one day.

Okay it’s decided let’s read Christmas Tina first and then Higurashi after that.

2 Likes

That reminds me we need to decide who is doing the home threads for Christmas Tina and Higurashi.

@Bijak Do you want to run the home thread for Christmas Tina or should someone else do it?

@senkuma Do you want to run the home thread for Higurashi or should someone else do it?

2 Likes

Sure I don’t mind - I’d been pulling the script to get an idea for how the chapters are laid out and how many characters are in them so I will put together the post

2 Likes

And done!

3 Likes

So I was browsing Book-off yesterday as I’ve set myself a quest to do that my last days in Japan and I found this exsits:

Maybe that would make a better club than the visual novels with the different versions and non-furigana. This one is fully furigana-ed.

So yeah, I’d though I’d just drop that in, as it came to a surprise when I found the volume sitting on the shelf.

4 Likes

Throwing this here, as it pertains to you all~

6 Likes

I only checked maybe around ten titles both video games and visual novels and I could find most of them just one visual novel was not listed. Unfortunately I am pretty busy right now if I had time I would check all my viusal novels and games. Some of the more interesting looking visual novels may not have covers or screenshots.

5 Likes