Web Novels Informal Book Club - Currently Reading 私の夫は冷蔵庫に眠っている

that’s a great idea!

yeah, I get that. I started one web novel and I could take a guess, but of course, it probably doesn’t mean much since I haven’t read the whole thing and it’s just one person.

2 Likes

Still there could be a field for “estimated level (if known)” or something. At the very least, if it’s stuff with an official release, we can use the existing Natively level, and just put it with a question mark. People can explain in their post whether it’s just the published version’s Natively level, or it’s based on their own reading experience.

Like say I nominate the web novels for クラスで2番目に可愛い女の子と友だちになった | L27, ログ・ホライズン | L33, and 薬屋のひとりごと | L38

I personally know クラにか is the same level. Log Horizon and Kusuriya I haven’t read the WN, but now someone will know “this will probably be at least that hard”. It’s imperfect - and many things just won’t have a known level either way - but still seems better than nothing. (ところで reading your Re:Zero anecdote has convinced me to never try the web novel :joy:)

Otoh, maybe having levels for only some things will bias people towards those things… which wouldn’t be great

2 Likes

I’m generally iffy on time-unstructured (aka informal), but can kinda see why it makes sense here, since things don’t have the same clear divisions as published books. In any case, I’m an unreliable participant (1/7 book clubs completed), so idk how relevant my opinion on that even is.

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t with clear conscious say that will work, simply because I already know of a couple of example where the web novel was a LOT harder than the publishized version and some where the publishized version was a harder than the web version.

This is probably the most famous one I know of lol

I really understand why people want a natively level, but I just don’t feel comfortable giving one considering that I know that it varies lot more than we think or know (also becaude I don’t feel confident myself on being able to give a fitting level to my nominations that isn’t N3+ or N2+ lol)
I would also like to point out that even in natively whenever there is a ? it means that not enough people voted for the level to be “real”, meaning for works that has just been added it is based soley on the media type

2 Likes

it’s because I can’t commit right now to anything, nothing to do with the media :joy: it’s me, Hi, I’m the problem, it’s me :notes: :microphone:

2 Likes

Ok. I’ll still reference Natively levels in my own nomination posts, with a note.

Your approach to structure here probly makes sense. So I’ll leave it to you.

1 Like

with pleasure tbh! biblio did the same to boot :joy:
if it’s “just a note” maybe I can put it as an optional ‘extra’ field in the end? or an afternote?
as long as it’s clear that these levels are inaccurate as hell it won’t be a problem I think?

maybe I’ll find a way around it, will try to think of something

edit: I think I found a work around that leaves me feeling less uncomfortable, which is both putting the side note to the template but also putting a warning about it in the voting tab

2 Likes

Title:

Platform: クラにか on kakuyomu
Current length: 286 chapters, Ongoing

Short Synopsis

高校に入って、友達はおろか顔見知りすらまともにいなかった俺、前原真樹(まえはらまき)にようやく学校以外で遊ぶ友人ができた。それも女の子だ。
彼女の名前は、朝凪(あさなぎ)さん。男子たちから陰で『クラスで二番目に可愛い子』呼ばれている。
週末の金曜日、彼女は、親友であり『クラスで一番可愛い子』の天海(あまみ)さんの誘いを断って、俺の家に遊びに来る。
家でゲームをしたり、映画を見たり、だらだら漫画を読みながら、出前でとったピザやハンバーガーなどのジャンクフードをコーラで流し込む――それは、俺と朝凪さんだけの、自堕落だがとても大切な秘密の時間だった。
(※作品へのコメントについては基本自由ですが、こちらの判断で削除することもありますので、予めご了承ください)

Content warnings

If you know of any

Proof Of Quality

It has a published version.

Reason(s) for nominating: It’s a slow burn romance, but it’s just as prominently a story about friendships. Also it’s really cute! The characters, relationships, families, settings, etc are very organic and believable. They’re very self-aware, respectful, levelheaded, and caring, while still making mistakes, having challenges, etc.

The Natively level matches the WN level, and I always find it a very refreshing read!! Also I can figure out which chapters would correspond to which published book, which might help with scheduling/pacing.

2 Likes

hi biblio!!
sorry for bothering but could you please copy-paste the following into your nomination?

**Current length:** 46 Chapters, 239,071 Characters, Completed

[details="Short Synopsis"]

「惚れ薬を作って欲しい」

”湖の善き魔女”はある日、片思い相手に惚れ薬を依頼され、失恋した。

これが最初で最後なら少しでも一緒にいたい。
せめて時間を引き延ばそうと数々の注文を付ける魔女の主食がレタスと知り、何故か騎士は餌付けをはじめた。

レタスが栄養源だった引きこもり魔女と、真面目で上から目線な騎士の、惚れ薬から始まる恋のおはなし。

「I want you to make a love potion」

”The good witch of the Lake” gets her heart broken one day when she is asked by by her crush to make a love potion.

If this is the first and last time, even if it's just a little bit, she wants to spend time with him.
In an effort to buy herself more time she sends him on numerous quests, and the knight, who finds out that the witch feeds on lettuce, starts to feed her lettuce for some reason.

A love story between a hikikomori witch, that nourishes on lettuce, and a serious and condescending knight that starts from a love potion.
[/details]
2 Likes

and my last nomination lol

Title: 金色の文字使い ~勇者四人に巻き込まれたユニークチート~
Platform: syosetu
Current length: 281 Chapters, 3,328,565 Characters, Not Completed

Short Synopsis

ある日、主人公である丘村日色は異世界へと飛ばされた。四人の勇者に巻き込まれて召喚されてしまったのだ。日色は自由に異世界生活を満喫することにした。書いた文字の意味を現象化させることができる《文字魔法》を使う少年が、いずれ世界を救う物語。

Five people summoned to another world to battle the demon lord who threatens that world. However, there were only four heroes that were summoned, and the other an innocent bystander. His name is Hiiro Okamura, an aloof bookworm with traveling and reading as his raison d’etre. Hiiro sees no reason to help the human kingdom in their offensive war with the demonkin, seeing that he isn’t a Hero and that he has no real obligation to help them, and decides to leave the kingdom to go on his own adventure. Soon, Hiiro finds out that he has the very unique skill of Word Magic: magic that can materialize the definition of a word.

Content warnings

not that I recall

Proof Of Quality

has an official publication+manga

Reason(s) for nominating: originally read a fan translated version of the web novel a bit before the official publication came out. At the time Isekai was rising but wasn’t as overdone as it is now but regardless the idea of the MC’s power was intersting to me and I always wanted to try reading it in Japanese since all the Kanji uses and description would make a good learning experience imo
from a note in the syosetu page it looks like the author adjusted the web version to the official one, so it’ll be different from what I’ve read to boot!

as a side note the following is the officil versions natively page

3 Likes

Closing nominations and adding the poll :smiley:

3 Likes

For some reason I was convinced that I already closed the poll and announced a starting time and everything

Will update accordingly now

1 Like

We have 2 tied nominations for first so I’m leaving a poll that will be open until the 7th of September for what would you rather start with and the other will be the next read

On the 8th we start reading from the first series, and then we start reading the second either on the 20th of October or on the 24th of November (the wide schedule has to do with my own schedule unfortunately, sorry about that :sweat_smile:)

I’m leaving a poll for this too and on the 7th we will know until when do we have for the first series

edit: btw adding this just in case, like I previously said this is an informal book club, meaning you can start or you can read later or you can do whatever you want. The whole time and vote thing is more of a motivator to do things than anything. You can start with whatever you feel like even if the “vote” says otherwise, you can read both at the same time, like really, go wild lmao

Just now noticed I accidentally wrote September instead of October
So second option is 20th of October

what do we read first?

when do we start the second series?

• 20th September
  • 24th November
0 voters
1 Like

I voted 私の夫は冷凍庫に眠っている for first, because I already read it and I don’t currently want to add anything else onto my reading list. :see_no_evil: but if レモン味のラムネ ends up being first I will make it work somehow as always. :triumph:

2 Likes

if レモン味のラムネ ends up first you can just wait until 私の夫は冷凍庫に眠っている and then read it :joy:

beyond the fact that I don’t even know whether or not there are actual participants who will do this with me, this entire club is unofficial for the very same reason you want 私の夫は冷凍庫に眠っている to be first :rofl:

2 Likes

Created the Home thread

2 Likes

Created the Home thread

2 Likes

@Biblio @暁のルナ
Only now noticed I accidentally wrote 20th if September instead of 20th of October

So if you want to do 20th of October it’s the second one, or you can leave it as it is on November

1 Like

I’ll stick with November, thx tho

2 Likes

I am also sticking to November but thanks for the info. :hugs:

2 Likes