Week 1 🐙 マグメル深海水族館 🐠 癒し系 Book Club

Summary - Japanese

マグメル深海水族館は、東京湾の水深200メートルにある世界唯一の水族館。ここでは、深海に潜む生き物たちを身近に観察することができる。清掃員のアルバイトとして働くことになった天城航太郎は、深海生物が大好きで、少し引っ込み思案な青年。ある日、館長の大瀬崎湊人に出会ったことで、彼の人生に変化が訪れる――。深い海の底で生きる深海生物たちの魅力とひとりの青年の成長を描く、心あたたまる物語が始まる。

Summary - English

(DeepL) Magumel Deep Sea Aquarium is the only aquarium in the world located at a depth of 200 meters in Tokyo Bay. Here, visitors can closely observe the creatures that lurk in the deep sea. Kotaro Amagi, a part-time cleaner, is a young man who loves deep-sea creatures and is a bit withdrawn. One day, he meets Minato Osezaki, the curator of the museum, and his life is changed–and then. A heartwarming story of one young man’s growth and the fascination of deep-sea creatures living at the bottom of the ocean begins.

Book Club Links

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter
1 April 8 Prologue

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.

Polls

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
2 Likes

Finished the prologue~ At only 17 pages long it’s pretty short; I’d be okay merging it with chapter 1 for this first week if others are.

In other news, this is the first time I’ve seen a four-page spread! All those deep sea creatures are so stinkin’ neat; this manga is going to make me desperately want to visit a deep sea aquarium myself, I know. Big shame this isn’t in English; I bet my mom would love to read this one. (It does appear to be in French, as far as other languages are concerned.) I’m hoping for max animal facts as we go along. :100:

1 Like

I actually got the chance to speak a bit with one of the manga’s producers when I was in Japan and he told me there’s an english edition in the works!

1 Like

Whoooa, that’s super neat! Both that you got to speak with someone involved with the manga (how did that happen?), and that there should be an English version being worked on! I’ll have to keep my eyes open for that.

1 Like

I went to go see the Magmell collaboration at an aquarium there and I was carrying a merch totebag. It got noticed by some staff who went and got him and we talked for a while about the manga (which was a very sudden test of my speaking skills :rofl:)

3 Likes

Dang, that’s super neat!

2 Likes