赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う Week 1

Welcome to week one of 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う !

Home thread for announcements, wiki, etc

We are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week Up to
Week 1 - April 15th Read all of chapter 1

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 1 of 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う ?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

2 Likes

for a hot minute I thought I had listened past this week, but the chapters have sub-chapters. :relieved:

up to (including) subchapter 3:

we have a body and the immediate instinct is to hide it. our kind of women. :rofl:

4 Likes

I watched an entire jdrama with that premise. If they hadn’t had hid it everything would have been fine! They didn’t even kill him (iirc the teacher in the show had a heart attack)!

3 Likes

:thinking:

I did suspect the correct person but there were no clues or did I miss something? I am listening only, so it’s very much possible I missed something.

3 Likes

It’s been ages for me but didn’t little red riding hood go over how she knew who did it at the end of the chapter?

2 Likes

yes, but that was so random. like “your sister wouldn’t be so cruel as to not allow you to go into the thorn forrest by throwing away your shoes” and I’m like… she 100% would… if you go by the original story. :rofl:

3 Likes

My copy arrived today! In the most unnecessarily excessive packing :joy: it was the only thing I had ordered and it arrived in a 30x40x50cm box :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

I am very relieved that this book isn’t that hard. I wasn’t sure if I can keep up with the pace :laughing: Could be a great beginner novel. The vocab repeats a lot, sentence structure is pretty simple and it refers to commonly known fairy tales, which helps comprehension.

You mean we, as readers, had no clues? I’m not sure, maybe that she was alone at the river washing only one thing? I can’t remember if that has been stated explicitly when she was introduced.

But most things red riding hood mentioned in her deduction were things that we didn’t know about until red riding hood brought them up, I think. I have to admit I spaced out a bit when the deduction happened because those always bore me if they go on for too long (which it felt like in this case for me :sweat_smile: )

3 Likes

Yeah, ok. Seems like I didn’t really miss anything. That’s a relief. Yeah, long deductions if there is nothing where you can go “I KNEW IT!” or “OH! THAT’S CLEVER!” are a tad boring. I never solve mysteries even if given clues, but I want to at least feel like maybe I could have come to the same conclusions… :rofl:

4 Likes

True, that’s probably the main issue why it was boring for me :thinking:

3 Likes

This book is definitely a nice easy read! The movie adaptation is similarly easy, so I appreciate how accessible they are for language learners.

If anyone is interested in the differences with the movie, Hans is a hairdresser (which forms part of the plot) and the prince has a romance subplot. The kingdom is also one obsessed with beauty! There is also a bit more playing about with suspicions falling on different characters.

It wasn’t necessarily the best piece of deduction for me, but I still found the story fun. I’m glad we went for the higher pace with this book!

4 Likes

Ohhh the adaptations of the movie sound really interesting! I might check it out! :eyes:

And I agree, I find the book fun, accessible and am having a good time so far! :star2:

1 Like