Week 11 👻 🍰 Medium 🔮

Welcome to the eleventh week of Medium 霊媒探偵城塚翡翠!

Home thread for announcements, wiki, etc

We are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week Up to Approximate Pages Percent End page
Week 11 - Dec 18 English sentence containing “Iced coffee” 45 76% 372

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 11 of Medium?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

1 Like

This is the best break ever. Or the worst, depending on people :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Hmmm… Hard to say anything here, I guess I will need to wait till I find out what 翡翠 is up to :smiley: Also, in my opinion, there is no way the police won’t catch him after doing this haha. Like even IF he removed all traces, her vanishing/dying (depending on if he is planning on hiding the corpse or not) and him not having an alibi can’t go well for him. :smiley: Especially he was involved in SO MANY murders (like not being the killer officially, but now it will become suspicious how often he is present when someone gets killed haha)

But I am guessing it won’t get that far and that she will outsmart him somehow. It would be really cheesy if she’d conjure his old victims to freak him out or something, let’s see what really is going to happen.

8 Likes

Right? He is supposedly this mastermind killer who has managed to leave absolutely no traces so far, and then he intends to kill the one woman he has been very publicly close with. I guess he’s just overconfident at this point? Surely being constantly around multiple murders, even if not committed by him, is bound to make him at least a subject of closer scrutiny at some point? I mean, police in books are often incompetent, but that would be extreme even for these low standards.

8 Likes

I feel like the last interlude made it sound that he wants to know the answer to his “questions” more than he cares about his own freedom. I guess he has been mostly trying to avoid being arrested so far because he hasn’t gotten an answer yet. Since he is confident that she. can provide said answer, then whatever happens next doesn’t really matter to him.

7 Likes

Good point.

4 Likes

Ohh you’re right, that’s a good point. Although he mentioned specifically that he needs to be careful the police won’t catch him because this time he killed someone close to him. And she also went on and on about how they will definitely catch him. And I was like, this isn’t even a question/problem anymore, he’s not going to get out of this one anyway :rofl:

Btw, why does he even want to kill her to get his questions answered?? Did I miss anything in that regard? Isn’t she more useful alive and when she is “on his side”, if he believes she really can communicate with the dead? And why did he never ask any of his questions when she conjured someone from the after life?

Also, did I get this right that she only smelled his murders when she was up close to him? That’s kinda funny, that you smell like murder in different intensities. :smiley:

7 Likes

More good questions. I guess to get to the stage that you feel you need to kill women to find out what happened with your sister, your brain is not working very rationally anyway :sweat_smile: (and there would be no drama, and no surprise, if he just asked Hisui outright, so…). But yes, a medium willing to cooperate would be much more useful to him than a victim about to die. Who is willing to answer their killer’s stupid questions as they’re dying anyway?

:joy:

7 Likes

I mean, even if it doesn’t matter in the end, I guess he’d rather not be caught, if he has the choice? He can’t really free her now that she has seen the place… (and made it clear she knows things happened here)

I dunno. No time? The death was too dissimilar? He is very insistent on a specific way of killing, too.

7 Likes

I just remembered that she said she needed to be at the place of death to be able to communicate with the dead? So he would need to bring her to that house anyway, and being there she’d have to sense what had been going on there, so she’d have to be killed anyways. Or something like that.

7 Likes

I am trying to catch up following a couple of weeks off for travels and then ill-health :sweat_smile: I just finished the week 8 reading, hopefully this week I will get a chance to get back on track with everyone!

6 Likes

Yeah, the twist and the cliffhanger! Luckily it’s not too long til next week… I guess this explains why the book has never told us very much about 香月.

8 Likes

Okay, wow. That was crazy. I’ll admit that never in my wildest dreams did I expect the cake to return. Anyway, good job to eefera for calling out Kougetsu as a psychopathic murderer last week.

10 Likes

That was such a throwaway reaction on my part I’m shocked any of it came true. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I’m not sure if you can edit your reply now, but for some reason it didn’t blur the quote so I got spoiled :see_no_evil: anyway I have now caught up to week 11 and I am so glad that Kougetsu is not just a Gary Stu! But honestly that scene with the cabin was giving me such ick even before he turned on her. Also lol at throwing in that cake comparison one more time.

6 Likes

Oh no, really? D: I’m so sorry! Dang it, looking at it now I forgot to re-spoil bad player’s response. D: I’ve got it fixed; I’m really sorry. :frowning:

3 Likes

No worries! I’ve done the same myself :sweat_smile: I wasn’t far off anyway so it did motivate me to get on with my reading :grin:

3 Likes