Week 14 🏰 今日からマ王! 👑 | BL Book Club 👨‍❤️‍👨

It’s the final week of the book club!

1018b023-97c9-4269-b98e-8624e88e4212 e7bd7e83-a65d-446c-b5db-65b40591f93b

Book Club Links

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter End page (original) End page (combined- digital) No. of pages End page (combined - physical) No. of pages Notes
14 Mar 11 10 217 211 13 222 13 end of chapter

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers for the current week should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • Please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion, and other readers will be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post your thoughts.

Poll

Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
2 Likes

Okay, so I can finally rant about the end.

For some reason, I really hated the fact that he got sent back to our (?) world, especially in the middle of the ceremony. That’s going to have a huge negative impact on his potential support from the 魔族, plus the differential in time passed on both sides means that even if he went back right now (which would take a some balls in front of the policemen and Iforgothisname), at the minimum days would have passed on the other side.
I assume that there’s going to be a lot of cringe moving on on both worlds (due to the underwear incident at the end) and
I don’t know if I have the will power to go through that at the moment on my own. I will definitely try to follow the club if we keep going with the series, though.
Although… I am trying to finish my current LN series as fast as possible (for no other reason than I want to be done with it) so book clubs have fallen on the side :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

We’ll have to seen when/if we move to the second book; the book gave me the impression that very little time had passed in our world; just enough for that kid to go get a policeman and run back, I suppose. But then, granted, that could just be some kind of bait-and-switch on the author’s part and it turns out it’s been weeks or something…

Honestly I welcome the chaos on the 魔族 side, haha. Having their new 魔王 be a complete wild card in their eyes would push some interesting characters to the forefront, I bet, and it gives a chance for ユーリ to better bond with his harem advisors.

Yeah… I felt real bad for ユーリ there. No one wants to see your G-string, my man. Of all the ways to “prove” to the main character it wasn’t a dream… I hope that kid is some random schoolmate he’ll never see again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Overall book thoughts:
I really enjoyed it! Granted, I came in with a loooot of background knowledge, having already read what was covered here in the manga, so I’m sure I would be feeling differently if I came in expecting actual BL, sadly. Which is a shame, really, given it’s this club’s first book. (Spoilers for up to like volume 7 of the manga; dunno how far that is in the LN) I do wonder how BL this eventually becomes, if it becomes it all all; as far as I remember from the manga, it’s basically just teasing/very light vibes. Given that ユーリ’s a high schooler though, it’s probably for the best. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I enjoyed the book and would welcome a spin-off club or two. Anyone else finishing this week besides me and Naphthalene? I was a little sad to see real low participation for the book; I assume it’s because the book proved more difficult than expected for a lot of people.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I meant. That means that, even if he goes back right now, it’s going to be days later on the other side (most likely)

I’m fine with that, honestly!

I guess that I should also say that I enjoyed the book a lot. The end really broke my will to go ahead, but I still had a good time.

I’m also sad that there wasn’t much participation, but at the same time I dropped all my current book clubs because work is crazy again and I am somehow invested in reading my current series (despite not liking it that much… it’s just that the author keeps putting some weird BL sub(?)text inside an otherwise typical 男性向け LN and I want to see where he goes with that; plot? What plot?) so it’s not like I would have participated more if I had tried to follow along :frowning:

2 Likes

I also finished the book and am interested in continuing with at least volume 2! :slight_smile: I didn’t participate much because, well, life has been full of other priorities for a while now. As it is, I’m happy if I can visit the forums every other day, never mind actively participating. :see_no_evil:

Overall I’m really satisfied with the book. I did expect more BL (I’m completely new to the series) but it’s not a deal breaker at all. I enjoyed the writing style and ユーリ’s quirky personality. The… Erm. Suitors(?) on the other hand… Well. The less said the better. :joy:

The ending sure surprised me, but not necessarily in a bad way. I’m curious how she’ll spin this!

Unless volume 2 takes a wild turn and completely exceeds my expectations in some way, I’m unlikely to continue past that for a while, tbh. There’s too much stuff I want to read and I’m trying not to buy so much new stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks for the organisation of the book! I’m a bit late and haven’t been messaging much since I’ve been quite busy, but I’ve been keeping in track with the reading every week. I also have the combined version, so I’m more like “halfway” through the book, so I guess I’ll join for at least a volume 2 or read by myself.

Honestly, as someone who watched KKM many years ago as a teen, it was really nostalgic to read it, but also pleasantly enjoyable since I forgot so many details about the story :sweat_smile: I don’t even remember what happens next, after the end of the 1st volume xD. I’m glad I joined the club though, it has been really fun.

3 Likes

Yeah, same here. I didn’t think far enough ahead when choosing to record which version of the book I was reading on Natively… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes