Week 2 | また、同じ夢を見ていた / 또다시 같은 꿈을 꾸었어 | Beginner’s LN club

Same! I was really surprised that it was completely ignored. She’s clearly heard about her because she asked about the Othello game.

I wonder if we’ll get to find out more about Nanoka’s friends and what their stories are because I feel like there’s a lot of questions to be answered there.

7 Likes

Nice catch! It’s the last line of the second chapter.

4 Likes

Edit: I see what you mean now. I’ll go fix that

2 Likes

Should be fixed now. Thx for catching that!

3 Likes

I mean, you have the whole week for that, so there’s no need to do it in two days. I definitely can’t easily read half a week’s portion in a single session; currently I space the week out over 3 to 4 days.

I assume this wasn’t the first time :laughing:
…but I guess some time was the first time, and she wasn’t corrected.

And I’m realizing that Nanoka might have (mild?) synesthesia. With the old woman it’s the second time that she described words and facial expressions as having a “smell”.

A few questions in the later half

When talking about the book Nanoka read:

「分からないなりに、何か心に残ったことはあった?」

Is the なりに here something like “even though”?

「そうなの。だけれど、とても難しいわ。いくつでも言っていいのならいいんだけど、授業の時間って限られているし、クラスには私だけじゃないから」
「そうだね。きちんとまとめて、物事の真ん中をつく答えをしなくちゃいけない」
「ひとみ先生をびっくりさせて、皆を納得させるような答えを見つけたいわ」
私はひとみ先生に褒められる自分を想像し、得意になりました。

Is that last fragment basically “I felt pride.”? (Because she imagined being praised.)

おばあちゃんは本当に幸せそうで、私まで幸せな気分になりました。廊下の方に目を向けると、これまたあの子が幸せそうに眠っています。

What’s the これまた here?

「あら知らないのね、『ハックルベリー・フィンの冒険』。これも面白いよ。図書室になかったらひとみ先生に訊いてみるといいかもね」
私はとてもいいことを聞いた、と、『ハックルベリー・フィンの冒険』という名前を大切な思い出をいれるのと同じ場所にきちんとしまいました。

What does she mean by “I heard a really good thing”? And what is the と here?

それから、いつもと同じようにお風呂に入った後、私は十時には眠くなってしまって、いつもと同じようにお母さんにも、寝てる間に帰ってきたお父さんにも、アバズレさん達の話はしませんでした。

Is that “And then, as always, I got sleepy at 10 after taking a bath, and as always I didn’t talk about アバズレさん and the others, neither with my mother nor with my father who came home while I was sleeping”?

6 Likes

@暁のルナ, could you maybe add navigation to the next week to these threads too in the future? It was a bit hard to go from the previous week’s thread to this one.

Maybe an info box like this at the top could work well? That’s how we do it in most WK clubs.

Week 2 Feb 4 2024
Chapter 1 (second half)
Percent 10.5%
:jp: Pages 16 - 32
:jp: Final line いつもと同じようにお母さんにも、寝てる間に帰ってきたお父さんにも、アバズレさん達の話はしませんでした
:kr: Pages 16 - 34
:kr: Final line …그 밖의 사람들에 대한 이야기는 하지 않았습니다.
Previous week Week 1
Next week Not posted yet
Home Thread Home Thread for また、同じ夢を見ていた / 또다시 같은 꿈을 꾸었어 :open_book: :jp: :kr:

And I keep clicking on the book link in “Welcome to Week x of …” when I want to get to the book club. Maybe the link to the book and the big image might not be necessary for the weekly threads?

Sorry I have so many nitpicks. I’m really thankful you’re organizing the club, and you’re doing a great job! :pray:

5 Likes

That’s a cool idea, and I like the formatting. I definitely know what you mean about the link confusion. I always get disoriented with that too.

Tbh I thought I had added the link in the Week 1 post, but guess I forgot. I added it now. I’ll update the formatting later tonight, when I’m at a computer.

No need to apologize for the suggestions. They’ve been helpful, especially since it’s my first time doing this. So, much appreciated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reformatted the weekly threads. I still like having the book links & image there, but I reduced the size, and consolidated things. Lmk what you think.

3 Likes

Oh interesting, I got the gist of it from her working hours and her wanting to shoo Na-chan off but I didn’t pick up that bit of wordplay.

Read the rest of the chapter once-through and will need to re-read it with the dictionary up to fully understand it. I feel like I got a good portion of ばあさん’s dialogue though

4 Likes

I assume you want to keep the image for aesthetic reasons? Smaller at least means that I won’t have to scroll quite as far for the info I’m actually interested in when reading the weekly opening post, so: Looks better to me!

Why do you want the links though? I’ve clicked them multiple times, thinking I’m going to the home thread (which is what “welcome to Week 2 of X” sounds like - it’s week 2 of this book club after all), but instead I’m going to the Natively page. I don’t think links to the book are necessary in the weekly threads either, because people are already reading it.

1 Like

I like the natively links in the main book club, don’t know if you need them in the page. They might be good for onboarding people who jump on later in the cycle though?

2 Likes

I feel like a link to the home thread would work even better for that, with the summary, schedule, book links and all.

1 Like

Ok, I see your point. I checked a few other book clubs here, and it looks like they don’t have book links in the weekly post either. Links have been dropped

2 Likes

Ah, I see, so that’s why she calls her アバズレさん. I was thinking that she heard someone call her that but somehow this is even sadder. I wonder if we will find out what her real name is eventually. I hope so.

6 Likes

Hi everyone :wave: I hardly ever come to these forums, but @Jintor mentioned this thread and since I just started 同じ夢, I’m gonna join! I’m a little behind, around page 9 or 10, so I’m gonna try to catch up this week. I am getting sick though, so let’s see how much I’ll actually be able to read :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I thought so too, but not sure. I translated this sentence in my head like “When you don’t understand something, doesn’t that something become really memorable”? Or maybe it’s more like “When you don’t understand something, somehow it becomes more memorable”

3 Likes

I translated it as Although you didn’t understand, was there a part that stayed in your heart?".
Hmm, I need to investigate that なりに more.

2 Likes

This is the なりに that I’m pretty sure it’s using: なりに - Jisho.org

I don’t remember the full context of the quote through, so I might be wrong.

Monolingual dictionary entry if that helps

3 Likes
questions

I believe it is this grammar structure なりに (JLPT N1) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained. On maggiesensei, it got translated as “though” in one of the example sentences, so I think you are right. I always thought of it as “while not understanding…” but it seems there is the additional nuance of it being something negative und Nanoka doing her best despite that?

Yep

Dictionary says it is either これ+また and translates to “this again” or it means “extremely”. Maybe the cat was very happily asleep :laughing:

After rereading the sentence over and over, I think it is just an “and”? She says “I placed ‘I heard something good’ and the name ‘Huckleberry Finn’ into the same place with important memories”?
The good thing might refer to the library and that she can ask ひとみせんせい about it. Not sure on this one :thinking:

I think the same.

3 Likes

I feel like this might be it. Like an equivalent phrase might be “I mentally packed [those two facts] away” or something. But not sure. No wonder everyone keeps calling her 賢い

5 Likes