Week 3 of 月の裏側 🌒

Welcome to the 3rd week of 月の裏側!

imageimage

Week Starting Date Chapters Pages Length
Week 3 November 20 Chapter III 60-86 26

Week 2 | Home thread | Week 4

Discussion ground rule suggestions

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ questions and wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
  • I’m reading along this week
  • I have read this part already
  • I’m catching up later
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

Happy reading! :waxing_crescent_moon:

2 Likes

Ok so we are getting some more traction on the story! We hear the testimonies of the three disappeared ladies, but much more importantly Tamon also hears some sound in the background (now we know why he needs to be a music editor for this story to work :rofl:). The sound reminds him of a mongolian singing technique, and they go to sensei’s old house to retrieve a recording of said singing. Which is where they meet his daughter…

At first I thought the woman was a water ghost, not his daughter :rofl: But who knows, maybe she is both :thinking:
Other than that, again a very calm and soothing read, with the testimonies of the women who had disappeared. The first one seemed a bit out of this world, but the other two were pretty sharp and reflected well on what had happened to them. Also I really like the interactions of Tamon and the professor. Everything just feels so nice and relaxed and stress-free. I wonder if this remains this way…

5 Likes

It feels like the plot is finally taking off this week! Testimonies and the introduction of a new character to join the crew (She did seem a bit mysterious though. But then again, everything in this novel seems mysterious!). The thing that stuck out to me this week was the Mongolian throat singing sound. I’m interested to see how that can possibly be tied to the disappearances!

5 Likes

Slowly catching up :slight_smile:

Echoes of Eugenia in the interview tapes.

I love 恩田’s writing so much. I don’t know exactly what it is, but when reading her I’m totally immersed in her world. I think it’s because she draws attention to little details (like tiny sounds in the background) and fleeting impressions. Not that she’s the only one who does it, of course, but her way really appeals to me.

Her interest in sounds and music is evident, in this chapter even more than before. It made me want to read Honeybees and Distant Thunder. One thing at a time though :joy:

4 Likes