Week 4 of 月の裏側 🌒

Welcome to the 4th week of 月の裏側!

imageimage

Week Starting Date Chapters Pages Length
Week 4 November 27 Chapter IV+V 88-142 52

Week 3 | Home thread | Week 5

Discussion ground rule suggestions

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ questions and wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
  • I’m reading along this week
  • I have read this part already
  • I’m catching up later
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

Happy reading! :waxing_crescent_moon:

3 Likes

Chapter IV

Wow! The tidbit about the military band members helping to decipher war codes was really interesting, I didn’t know about that and apparently it really happened. Otherwise, I love the atmosphere and the mysteries :eyes: I’m reading very slowly though, because it’s very hard for me to understand, so I’m still lost a lot and have to reread :laughing: But it’s so gripping that I can’t stop, like with the cliffhanger at the end of this chapter, what’s with the ear?! I hope I can read more tonight when I have time again

4 Likes

So have these prologues been from her perspective all along? :flushed: Didn’t notice at all until I got to chapter 4!

Regarding chapter 4, I was a bit confused by this code-breaking talk initially, but yeah it’s very interesting. Also this water illusion, why did the room look wet to him? :thinking: Let’s find out more!

5 Likes

Yeah, I had assumed Tamon’s POV but they’ve in retrospect all been Aiko – bits like the mention of their hotel don’t fit Tamon.

Also the author doesn’t seem entirely clear what colour the cat is, so maybe we can’t blame the cover illustrator too much…

5 Likes

So I’d been a bit iffy on this book up until the end of IV and then V was great :pray:

The talk of the ear and special effects stuff reminded me of this (don’t click if fake body parts bother you): Mother Factory

Super interested in the kappa theory and the body snatcher theory. Also Kyouichirou returning to the town after the original cat passed away, maybe he’s also a kappa replacement?! Or maybe his butt jewel was stolen and he’s still Kyouichirou somewhere on the inside which is why he’s reluctant to get his daughter too involved?

Why is Tamon carrying that cat everywhere still?!

So many questions. I’m looking forward to next week :popcorn:

5 Likes

The more of this book I read, the more questions I have! This week we had codes, kappas, human body parts and body snatchers, wet rooms/buildings…?! I don’t have the faintest idea where any of this is going, but I’m looking forward to finding out more about what it all means.

6 Likes

If I understand correctly she’s mostly white, with brown (and also presumably black?) patches? We can assume all these colourful patches are on her back, so for the illustration she likely chose to pose in such a way as to appear all white :grin:

4 Likes

Finished chapter 5.
My theory: The water is sentient. It comes out and it explores. It copies. Abducted creatures (humans, cats, who knows what else, insects, plants) are studied and copied, the originals discarded. Yet they seem to retain their memories of their life before the abduction :thinking: The professor certainly suspects all this, and more besides. He’s moved there to solve the mystery. But he shares his thoughts with no one, and lets Tamon figure things out slowly and gradually, on his own. Why? And is the cat a water child? The child of a water child, which would be the same - or actually, only half, the other parent must be a regular cat. What is their purpose, I wonder? Is there even one, or is it just evolution gone wild?

5 Likes