🏠 Week 5 | NHKにようこそ! 📺

Welcome to the reading club for NHKにようこそ!

8f40d468-5b9e-4733-a320-1929f772e9fa

Home Thread | week 4 | week 6

Reading Schedule

Week Chapter From - To (Paperback) From - To (Hardback) # of Pages (Paperback)
5 5 94 - 127 81 - 107 33

JPDB Deck: NHK ni Youkoso! – Prebuilt decks – jpdb

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
1 Like

I think we may have lost a few readers. Tbf, the MC is not very likeable and you are kinda in his head the whole time. But I find it quite interesting and even amusing at times. :see_no_evil:
I expected more plot than there is. It’s pretty much slice of life with some weird characters. I am curious if 岬ちゃん acts as the manic pixie dream girl that has come to save the subpar man from a life of loneliness. It very much feels like it.

3 Likes

Definitely feels like general book club participation has been down in general lately. I wonder if it’s the season, or if the number of book clubs has just slowly outpaced the user join rate over the last year or so?

2 Likes

The Higurashi VN club has been crushing, despite the initial interest being high.
We are currently only 2 even voting on the polls.

I’ll try catching up with this week later, was planning on doing it today but I’ve spent my free day with a cold or something akin :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

We just need to manipulate the readers in the children’s club and beginner’s ln club somehow so that they gain proficiency really fast and are able to join us for all the L30+ clubs. Like, all of them at the same time. We just lock them into the room that is Natively and force them to study. It’s foolproof.

4 Likes

I think this is the heart of it. I’m comfy in the children’s/beginners clubs. I can read up to about level 30 but it’s definitely a struggle so I have to really like the book to keep at it. I get the impression that there’s kinda a bimodal distribution of readers <25 and then >30 and I’m in this weird middle space :joy:

That said, my comfort zone used to be about 22 and now it’s more like 26, so I’m working on it!

3 Likes

I’m right there in that middle space with ya, fwiw (tho I’m participating in 薬屋のひとりごと 2 club anyway)

2 Likes