Week 6 - 雨でも晴れでも 2 - Yuri/GL/wlw book club

Welcome to Week 6 of 雨でも晴れでも :slight_smile: This is the first week of volume 2!!

d04bfcdb-cc69-46ae-9a6b-e37852126ae2

Schedule & Links

Week 6 Aug 11, 2024
Chapter 6
Pages 3-18
Previous Week week 5
Next week week 7
Home Thread thread

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Are you joining us for Week 6?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m reading along, but at my own pace
  • I’m just following the discussion
0 voters
2 Likes

That chapter went by fast, to the point where I wish we were doing two!

Chapter thoughts

Minus the extremely icky teacher-student relationship (and the student council advisor at that - no wonder they’re such a mess!!), this is off to a much better start than volume 1.

Tsubaki is such a fun character, and we got to see a bit of a different side to Nekozaki this time around. Like seeing her interact with the club members in such a friendly way was a really nice contrast to how she’s portrayed in volume 1. Anyway, I love Tsubaki & Nekozaki’s dynamic so much, and it’s clear Tsubaki really cares.

ともかく even outside of the power dynamic/age gap, that teacher is a really crappy partner, from everything we’ve seen. So I wonder what Tsubaki even likes about her?

Otoh, I like that the portrayal of the student teacher relationship hasn’t exactly been that positive so far. Tho I hope for Tsubaki’s sake that things don’t get worse.

I’m using my physical copy this time around, which is definitely nice.

1 Like
Chapter thoughts

plus:

• I like seeing Tsubaki more
  • I like Tsubaki caring for Nekozaki and being a bit jealous (she’s bee trying to get along with Nekozaki for a long time, never quite succeeded, and those club members manage it seemingly at once without even trying).
  • I like the contrast of how Tsubaki is a quite serious person and she gets angry at her slob of a lover.
  • I like that it was made explicit that Nekosaki has serious self worth issues. Kinda explains things.

negative:

• I probably wouldn’t mind the age gap if Tsubaki were older and the other person weren’t her teacher.
  • I’m not looking forward to learning about whatever is going on at Nekozaki’s home (I mean, I read it before, but I forgot).
  • The implication that the teacher has planted a surveilance device on Tsubaki/Nekozaki is yuk (seems like the device is on Tsubaki, but her target might be Nekozaki?). This point alone makes for an overall negative impression of this chapter.
1 Like

[quote=“bbo, post:3, topic:10724”]
The implication that the teacher has planted a surveilance device on Tsubaki/Nekozaki is yuk (seems like the device is on Tsubaki, but her target might be Nekozaki?).
[/quote]

Omg, despite having read this before, that totally went right over my head when I read it last night. I’m so glad you mentioned this.

Tangentially, I love that Tsubaki used 気に入ってんだ instead of 好き in that scene

1 Like
第6話

I’m glad that 猫崎 is getting along well with the club now. Although it did throw me off for a second when it was mentioned that she visited one of the girls while they were sick. I completely forgot about the part from chapter 5 where they got sick and I thought I missed a chapter for a moment.

The teacher-student relationship feels really gross, which is good, if uncomfortable to read. If the author tried to write it to not be gross than that would be worse for obvious reasons…

Also,

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

Hope 椿 gets out of that relationship without getting hurt too badly.

I noticed that too. If she had said 好き, then it would have felt like a romantic confession, which would have made things more interesting but I don’t think this story needs that love triangle when it’s clear from chapter 1 that 猫崎 and 実古都 will end up together.

2 Likes