Week 5 - 雨でも晴れでも - Yuri/GL/wlw book club

Welcome to Week 5 of 雨でも晴れでも :slight_smile: The final week of volume 1!! お疲れ様でした!! and thank you for participating everyone :slight_smile:

For anyone who wants to join, we will continue on to volume 2 next week.

608502cd-fb1e-4d5b-a006-1df8386d56e2

Schedule & Links

Week 5 Aug 4, 2024
Chapter 5 + おまけ
Pages 135 - End
Previous Week week 4
Next week week 6
Home Thread thread

Discussion ground rules

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Are you joining us for Week 5?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m reading along, but at my own pace
  • I’m just following the discussion
0 voters
2 Likes

Well it’s finally done… This chapter was a pretty interesting way to end the book, and I really loved the omake - provided some much needed character development/background

final thoughts

It was so adorable the way Miko used the “improve reception” excuse to get physically closer lol

This is the second time Miko interrupted her confession, and that’s really never a good idea in manga… miscommunication and misconceptions will ensue (as we saw). The way she stole it and turned it into her own confession was really cute/sweet tho!

Maybe it’s bc I’ve already read this, but I was surprised Miko was questioning the nature of her love for Nekozaki… Not that it doesn’t make sense, but anyone could see it’s romantic, from miles away!!

It’s interesting that Nekozaki does have some self awareness that she’s not the nicest or easiest person… Miko is out course oblivious about this… but she’s also not wrong, in the sense that the rest of the club doesn’t exactly hate Nekozaki or just see her that way

That ending is really not what I was expecting!! And it makes me worried for both of them.

In the end, I enjoyed it though not quite as much as my first time around. I can see some of the rough edges more this time around, and things just don’t hit as strongly (due to semi-familiarity). I wrote up a review, and look forward to seeing everyone else’s thoughts.

I’m really happy to have read this with you all. This is the first book club I’ve managed to complete, and it’s been nice to share the book with others, and get to see everyone’s impressions (and reevaluate my own). Sorry it didn’t end up being everyone’s cup of tea, but thx for being a part of it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes
Thoughts

I enjoyed this manga quite a bit. Probably not a very popular opinion, but I liked both Mikoto and Nekozaki as characters (and no, it’s not only because Nekozaki has 猫 in her name, I swear! :cat2: )

I think Nekozaki in particular managed to exceed my expectations as she didn’t quite fit into usual stereotypes, and there were good and bad aspects of her personality shown in the manga, while at the same time she was really cute when she was trying to approach Mikoto - this made her look more multidimensional than the rest of the cast.

The manga did an interesting job of combining heart-warming cute moments and more serious friction between the club members, while also sprinkling some fun comedy (my favorite moment is when Mikoto announces it’s not actually her birthday :sweat_smile:)

I didn’t mind the whole someone-is-about-to-confess-but-gets-interrupted cliché, since at least there always seemed to be some sort of progress every time and it was never like a frustrating hard reset or forcefully turned into a dramatic misunderstanding.

The rest of the cast was a bit of a hit-and-miss, they seemed to be there just to provide some comic relief (and acting as a sort of accidental hindrance to Nekozaki), but seeing the Omake (and the cover of some of the later volumes), it seems they will get more character development (and maybe some romantic developments too!?)

I did struggle a bit with the lower-than-average quality of the scans from Amazon, and also the art felt a bit generic (at moments I was having a hard time telling Takuya and Shishimaru apart… :pensive: )

I have a huge weakness for Yuri manga, so it doesn’t surprise me that my opinion might be on the optimistic side. I am definitely reading the rest of the volumes!

Thank you @暁のルナ for running this club!

3 Likes

“lower than average” is putting it nicely. They were among the worst I’ve read.

Well, this manga didn’t really click for me. I didn’t really care about any of the characters or the story, so I will not be reading the rest.

3 Likes

That was a solid end to the first volume. Excited to continue with the next volume.

第5話

I got really excited when 猫崎 and 実古都 started to confess to each other. Honestly, really disappointed that it was another fake out. If this manga was longer than 3 volumes than all these fake outs would have me questioning whether it was worth continuing. I’m not a fan of extending stories with miscommunication/non-communication and this manga seems keen on doing that with the main romance.

Other than that, it was a solid chapter and a solid omake as well. Really glad that we got to see backstory for some of the club members.

That surprised me. I fully expected her to be completely oblivious to her own defects. It’s nice to see that she is at least aware of the problem.

They do seem a bit tacked on. The manga clearly wants to be about 実古都 and 猫崎. Sometimes it feels like they just needed some extra characters to fill the roster.

2 Likes

I initially intended not to read the next volume (I already read them once). But then I assumed the 猫崎 and 実古都 arc would be more finalized. So I will stick around for a bit longer!

Thanks to @暁のルナ for hosting.

1 Like