🏴‍☠ Week 8 | Flesh&Blood ⛵

Welcome to the reading club for Flesh&Blood!

91mGjo9-CUL.SL1500

Home Thread | week 7 | week 9

Reading Schedule

Week Date # of Pages Ends on Page Ends on % Ending Line
8 June 24 21 179 59% (end of chapter)

Google vocab spreadsheet: ~ FLESH & BLOOD ~ Volume 1 ~ Vocab list - Google Sheets
Feel free to contribute!

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

At the end of chapter 5, does anyone know what コッド is supposed to be in 易寝コッド. I understand the general meaning based on the kanji, but not the English word it’s referring to. For sleeping places on a boat, I’ve heard ”bunk”, “berth”, or even “hammock”. Is this supposed to be “cot” and it’s just spelled wrong (コッド instead of コット)?

When I search, I’m mostly getting the fish, cod end of a trawling net, コッド岬, or コット results.

4 Likes

That’s what I’ve always read it as; it’d be good to know if I’ve been misreading, though.

4 Likes

I think it is “cot”. I found an EN > JP ocean dictionary, and it lists 簡易寝台 as one of the definitions for “cot”.

cot: n.[cotangentの略][海][船舶士官・病人などに用いた帆布製で、枠付きの]つり床、吊り床; [米国][枠・フレームにカンバス(ズック)を張った]キャンプベッド、簡易寝台、簡易ベッド[例えば、米軍人 が宿営地などで使う折り畳み式の簡易ベッド].
From English-Japanese Ocean Dictionary 英和海洋辞典, “C”

Maybe コッド is an alternate spelling? コット is what was in the search results and also one of my dictionaries though, so I’m tempted to think it’s a typo.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I also assumed it was cot, but that I was wrong about the pronunciation (it happened to me before). (I did think about hard enough at the time for that incident to remain in memory; I’m glad to get some closure(?))

5 Likes

I’m impressed Kaito managed to come up with a believable backstory. I’d be totally useless in that sort of situation :rofl: I guess it’s good he met Vicente, so he knew 伊東マンショ’s mission to Europe was around the same time period.

5 Likes