Week 8 of 📚 本好きの下剋上 / 책벌레의 하극상 🪱

Welcome all to week 8 of our Bookworm bookclub!

bookworm_kr

Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Number Ch. Name :jp: Ch. Name :kr: Ending% / Page# :jp: Ending Page# :kr: # of Pages :jp: # of Pages :kr:
8 Oct 23 15 トゥーリの髪飾り 투리의 머리 장식 45%/170 173 13 12
16 わたしを森へ連れて行って 숲에 데려가 줘 48%/186 189 16 16

Junior JP version

Week Start Date Chapter Number Ch. Name :jp: Ending Page# :jp: # of Pages :jp:
8 Oct 23 15 トゥーリの髪飾り 218 16
16 わたしを森へ連れて行って 240 22

(Home thread) week 7 | week 9

Character Table
English Japanese Korean Notes
Myne マイン 마인 Protagonist (Eng. also written “Main”)
Tuuli トゥーリ 투리 Myne’s older sister
Effa エーファ 에파 Myne’s mother
Günter ギュンター 귄터 Myne’s father
Lutz ルッツ 루츠 Friend; same age as Myne
Ralph ラルフ 랄프 Friend; same age as Tuuli
Carla カルラ 칼라 Lutz and Ralph’s mother
Fey フェイ 페이 Friend; same age as Tuuli
Otto オットー 오토 Subordinate to Günter

Discussion ground rule suggestions

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Are you joining us for week 8?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I’ve dropped the book
0 voters
3 Likes

This week was fun. I can accept the slice of life bits for what they are now better than I could last week, so it was fun seeing how the whole family worked together to make Tuuli’s hair decoration.
The 2nd chapter was also fun, seeing Main come up with curriculum for the class even though she’s the youngest one in the room was funny.
The end of the 2nd chapter where she makes some progress in her stamina felt like a Rocky training montage or something, lol. It was also very funny how after celebrating 5 days in a row, she got another fever and was immediately out of commission again(though I can also relate to how frustrating that can feel).

For me, these two chapters were a great balance of comedy, character development, and world-building, probably my favorite week of reading so far.

8 Likes
Chapter 15

This might have been my favorite chapter so far. I think a big part of it was seeing Myne get along better with her family. Most of the time we’ve seen her engrossed in her personal projects while kind of ignoring everyone else, but this time she directed her energy and skills toward doing something sweet for Tuuli. That was especially nice considering how much Tuuli does for her.

Also, I also know how to do レース編み, so the descriptions of making the かぎ針 and then making flowers were really fun to read. I could visualize what was happening a lot better than when she was smashing alternate-universe avocados for shampoo :joy:

Here’s a picture of what her little flowers might have looked like. She probably did single-layer, single-color flowers though.

I thought it was interesting that her mom didn’t even ask how she knew how to make crochet lace. I guess they’ve just accepted that they’ve got a strange little prodigy for a daughter at this point. Or maybe enough people get isekai-ed info this world’s young children that they just see it as normal that some kids have unusual knowledge.

8 Likes

(Chapter 15)

Yes, seeing her opening up to something else than books is great (and it gives a greater sense of her belonging to the family too). It was also pretty sweet to see her father being so happy to help (and moved by her praise). Overall, a feel-good chapter.

3 Likes

Definitely agree! It felt more thoughtful since everyone was able to help make it.

Oh, thank you for the visual! Would a single layer/color flower be relatively quick to make? I don’t have any experience in handcrafts like this.

3 Likes

This week is going to be a hard one for me to keep up :sweat_smile:

I’m committing this week more to Natively than to Korean, but we will try.

6 Likes

I think she said each one took her about 15 minutes? Which sounds about right to me. I would definitely need to take some breaks in between flowers, though. Working with a tiny hook can be hard on the wrists.

3 Likes

Question about chapter 16: when the other kids are staring at Myne as they come back from the forest, she mentions that she’s a bit of a レアモンスター because she’s not out and about as much. Is that a ポケモン reference, or something else?

2 Likes

I just took it as a general video game reference for monsters with a low spawn rate, though Pokemon certainly has plenty of those(I’m an old man, so my first thought was finding a Chansey in the Safari Zone back in Red and Blue, lol).

4 Likes

I think it’s a dragon quest reference (like metal slime and the like)

4 Likes

This week was really fun to read! I’m more into the story and used to the slice of life format now, which helps. I loved the part where Myne made the flower hair decoration for Tuuli! It was very sweet. I also enjoyed the chapter where she participated in/helped run Otto’s class. I’m curious to see where all of this will go in the future, especially since she still has a couple years to go before she has to choose a trade. Also, the training montage was funny!

5 Likes

Caught up on week 8! Like everyone else, I also enjoyed this week’s chapters. They felt so relaxed and it was nice to have some slice of life elements instead of hearing about Myne’s book obsession. Myne and her whole family coming together to contribute something to making Tuuli’s hair decoration was a really heartwarming scene. :face_holding_back_tears:

7 Likes