🔎 Week 8 | 京都寺町三条のホームズ ⚱

京都寺町三条のホームズ

Home Thread | week 7| week 9

Reading Schedule

Week Chapter From - To Number of Pages
8 Ch4; 1-4 180-204 (65%) 25

JPDB Deck: Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes – Prebuilt decks – jpdb

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

Character names

Kanji Reading Info
家頭 清貴 やがしら きよたか ホームズ
家頭 武史 やがしら たけし 店長
家頭 誠司 やがしら せいじ オーナー
真城 葵 ましろ あおい Main character
上田 うえだ Childhood friend of 店長, regular
美恵子 みえこ Owner of the shop diagonally across, often comes to enjoy some coffee
克美 かつみ Ex-boyfriend of 葵
早苗 さなえ (former?) friend of 葵, currently dating 克美?
宮下 香織 みやした かおり From the same school as 葵
梶原 かじわら Family name relevant to this part
2 Likes

Just read the title of this chapter and that sounds like their date isn’t going to go as expected :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have not finished this part yet, but I expect the “static electricity” she felt to have plot relevance :stuck_out_tongue:

Other than that, it’s fun to see 鞍馬山 “for real”. I have read a few series with yokai where you meet 天狗s that come from there, or the story even goes there, but from the yokai world side/隠り世/whatever. It’s interesting to see a description of the normal side.

I had to look up what ミーハー means. I can’t believe I never came across that word.

4 Likes

I got a bit lost in the last scene at first. When I saw the name 芭蕉, I initially thought it was referring to a plant :seedling: and didn’t realize it was actually the famous Haiku poet 松尾芭蕉. So, I was confused about why ホームズ brought up 最上川. After some digging, I learned that 葵 was referencing one of 芭蕉’s famous Haiku “五月雨をあつめて早し最上川”. It all clicked after that, and I realized why she felt like her attempt was a bit of a “パクリ” :sweat_smile:. It’s those small details that really make the story enjoyable, but also a bit challenging if you’re not familiar with the cultural references.

5 Likes

I kinda thought of 香蕉 (:banana: in Chinese) too, but I recognized the name. I don’t know a thing about the poet, though.

5 Likes

That’s funny, because the first time I heard of him, years ago, I thought the same thing :joy:
To be fair, it was just after I learned the kanji for バナナ (甘蕉 in Japanese, pretty close!)

I just know he wrote haiku, so when she said パクリ, I just thought she only replaced a word or too (and it seems she did, thanks to @masooka’s research)

6 Likes

As I am prone to do, I didn’t notice how far I had listened, so now I am in chapter 5 somewhere and will refrain from commenting. But I am still here and reading all the spoilers.:eyes:

4 Likes

Well, you can now comment in the next thread :joy:

3 Likes